• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
From 2010 through 2013, IGN was victimized by the single most unprofessional bout of nonsense directed toward it by the publisher Konami. The drama surrounded Konami's and MercurySteam's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow trilogy, beginning with IGN having the audacity to call the original game "good," and ending with the temporary blacklisting of the entire site, and… well… me! Here's the full, 'til-now-untold story.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how a company could blacklist fucking IGN. That's huge.

CANNOT be good Press...

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Just got done watching that. Makes me wonder how many other instances across the industry are similar, but news of it just never comes out.

Makes me wish some sites would be a bit more transparent, like the way Kotaku came out and said that Bethesda had blacklisted them.

MrBrawl96

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Colin Moriarty stuff not welcome here? Or am I misremembering?
That seems extremely close minded if you ask me, and pretty ironic(a post about blacklisting getting locked because of Eras own blacklisting)

Either way, Konami really seems like right place in the right time with their 80s and 90s hits and don't really deserve to own the properties they do. They blacklist anyone they don't agree with and still hold metal gear and castlevania hostage.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see Colin is trying to snake his way back into the gaming world. Disgusting.

People don't like his politics, therefore we can't even discuss him when he's talking about the games industry.

It's silly as hell, and a real carryover from the old forum that I thought Era would be above.

But let's stay on topic here. Lords of Shadow was a bad game, and damn you IGN for calling it a bad game apparently!

His politics? It is more than just politics.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
XPqXU46.png

Quite the blacklist.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys for telling me it was Colin Moriarty. I'll wait for another site to republish this news and read it there.

Can't stand to listen to this guy after what I've read from him in the past.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
People don't like his politics, therefore we can't even discuss him when he's talking about the games industry.

It's silly as hell, and a real carryover from the old forum that I thought Era would be above.
It's more than "his politics"

He tweets sexist, racist, and transphobic stuff and often calls out his critics so his legions of fans will swarm and harass them

He equated getting goofed on by another journalist to sexual harassment

He literally disowned his friends over an awful sexist joke

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Konami blacklisted IGN for three years is definitely news. They are one of the biggest game publishers and one of the biggest game outlets. Block his politics all you want, but I don't see how this piece of news can be deemed harmful. In fact I find it quite interesting.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Konami blacklisted IGN for three years is definitely news. They are one of the biggest game publishers and one of the biggest game outlets. Block his politics all you want, but I don't see how this piece of news can be deemed harmful. In fact I find it quite interesting.
Nope a person has different political views to me, SHUT DOWN THE THREAD!

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is actually a really interesting story and something totally worth discussing (although it'd be beneficial to have more than just Colin's account of it for the sake of adding weight to it). An outlet like IGN being blacklisted over a review score is just as outrageous as what happened to Jeff Gerstmann and led to the creation of Giant Bomb. It only adds more intrigue to the Konami we don't see behind closed doors as well.

It's super unfortunate if this is gonna get locked or derailed since it's coming from Colin's mouth, and it's super disappointing if we're both going to miss out on this conversation, as well as be discouraged from ever discussing Colin in any capacity.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I see Colin is trying to snake his way back into the gaming world. Disgusting.
This reeks of him trying to reposition himself as a member of the games press again after burning his bridges as he left and then returning to burn the ashes when he made that infantile statement about the state of games journalism.

Lucc

Oct 29, 2017
Blacklisting only means they don't get early review copies, who cares? Sites like that provide free advertisement for the games and companies so that blacklisting probably hurt konami more than it did IGN.

That word is way to dramatic for what it actually means.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's more than "his politics"

He tweets sexist, racist, and transphobic stuff and often calls out his critics so his legions of fans will swarm and harass them

He equated getting goofed on by another journalist to sexual harassment

He literally disowned his friends over an awful sexist joke

This is really embarrassing on my part, I don't follow him on twitter so I didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.