• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
When we're about to resign from our jobs, it is common sense to give a 2-weeks of notice to the HR manager of your company. Sometimes, 30-days of notice if it's a contracting role, so at least the person leaving would have some ample of time to prepare themselves switching jobs and so on.

And usually, it's customary to give someone a heads-up when booking for an appointing in advance.

So, when it comes to game patches and hotfixes, why is it the opposite, where we want game patches to be given out as soon as possible?

I wondered if there were any customary guidelines on how long to expect the game developers to address the issue and put out bugfixes for the game?

It's an interesting ponderment, one that I think bears some food for thought.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Because within those two weeks people will just go play something else if there are potentially gamebreaking bugs or major balance issues that need patching.

Most people just won't wait, they'll move on to the next shiny new thing and completely forget about the previous game, and if their first impressions were bad, they might not bother coming back at all.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Eh, considering many of these games cost $60 on release, you'd expect them to not have any game-breaking bug on release date (which is sadly not the norm anymore). But then again, you'd get even more crunch I guess.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Because within those two weeks people will just go play something else if there are potentially gamebreaking bugs or major balance issues that need patching.
Yes, that is true, but this thread is about "launch day demanding game patches". We're literally demanding for game patches, like instantly and immediately, within a generous 3-days period. If we're doing this, shouldn't we tell the devs that, hey, we expected you to do a hotfix, but at least we can give you 2 weeks of notice in advance, if that's okay?

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Because we're paying money for a thing and not permanently leaving our place of work.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
many of the bugs that games ship with are known to the devs. or at least known to qa and they have submitted it and devs just did not have the time to get it done on launch day. they are already working on patches when the game is releasing

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that is true, but this thread is about "launch day demanding game patches". We're literally demanding for game patches, like instantly and immediately, within a generous 3-days period. If we're doing this, shouldn't we tell the devs that, hey, we expected you to do a hotfix, but at least we can give you 2 weeks of notice in advance, if that's okay?

These two things are not the same at all. In one case you're paying for a service/product. In another case you're being paid to perform a job.

If internet is down in your house/apt, would you be ok with the internet service provider taking two weeks to fix it?

And in almost every case there isn't an immediate fix. It's usually much longer than two weeks to fix. For example, control released over two weeks ago and performance is still bad on console.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how you think this is analogous to a job situation, but if a game is broken on day one, consumers should ask for a fix and expect it ASAP.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i mean Borderlands 3 really should not have been launched in the state that it's in.

you can't tell me the devs had no clue about this before they pushed the launch button.

so to pretend that these are glitches and bad UI decisions that magically poofed into existence on launch day is a bit myopic.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
What does leaving work have to do with wanting quality from a product you purchased?

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This argument is bonkers. If you paid for something you want it to work. You go to a restaurant and order a meal and come out with something half cooked you get them to fix it then and there. Hell, you buy a new car and something is wrong you don't expect the dealer to take 2 weeks to fix the problem, you get it fixed as soon as possible. You paid for said product, it should work as advertised.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
because i just paid $60 for a game and i expect nothing more than minor bugs.

and to be honest lots of games are so short these days i will have already completed it within 2 weeks. so any fix would be pointless to me.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, the game as shipped is finalized like 60+ days before release, so they already have time to work on the bugs they couldn't get to prior to the gold image. That's why there are so many launch day updates. I'm not even sure what scenario you're asking about.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What does leaving work has to do with wanting quality from a product you purchased?
It's the expectation of the timeframe one would need to be prepared for. Leaving work means someone who is staying at work needs time to prepare. Fixing a game means the person working on the fix needs time to prepare.

This is what I see as a common relationship with "time".

OP, the game as shipped is finalized like 60+ days before release, so they already have time to work on the bugs they couldn't get to prior to the gold image. That's why there are so many launch day updates. I'm not even sure what scenario you're asking about.

Scenarios where developers didn't expect this bug to occur, and it was a bug they didn't encounter during their QA phase.

I can understand that it is unreasonable for us expecting devs with a 2 weeks of notice when they already had a lot of days to prepare to fix a bug.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
When we're about to resign from our jobs, it is common sense to give a 2-weeks of notice to the HR manager of your company. Sometimes, 30-days of notice if it's a contracting role, so at least the person leaving would have some ample of time to prepare themselves switching jobs and so on.

And usually, it's customary to give someone a heads-up when booking for an appointing in advance.

So, when it comes to game patches and hotfixes, why is it the opposite, where we want game patches to be given out as soon as possible?

I wondered if there were any customary guidelines on how long to expect the game developers to address the issue and put out bugfixes for the game?

It's an interesting ponderment, one that I think bears some food for thought.
because money is being exchanged for a product

instead of a person leaving their place of employment without warning

this is the dumbest analogy

It's the expectation of the timeframe one would need to be prepared for. Leaving work means someone who is staying at work needs time to prepare. Fixing a game means the person working on the fix needs time to prepare.

well, maybe the "time" should have been taken before the product reached the people that bought it with their money

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know that games go gold 6-8 weeks before release right?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Strange analogy. That'd also be a PR nightmare.

because i just paid $60 for a game and i expect nothing more than minor bugs.

and to be honest lots of games are so short these days i will have already completed it within 2 weeks. so any fix would be pointless to me.
?????
In the gen where open world games and GaaS are more commonplace than ever?

Imitation

Nov 29, 2017
Once you start charging money for a product it's ok for consumers to expect a functional product. If people are encountering major bugs on day one the company was just ok with launching the game in that manner. Requesting bug fixes doesn't seem like a big negative to me.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Because we're paying for a product and when it doesn't work we would like a fix as soon as possible...

what a strange analogy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Scenarios where developers didn't expect this bug to occur, and it was a bug they didn't encounter during their QA phase.

I can understand that it is unreasonable for us expecting devs with a 2 weeks of notice when they already had a lot of days to prepare to fix a bug.
Your employer doesn't give you two weeks notice before firing you.

As we are the ones shelling out money for this experience, we are analogous to the enployer, not the employee.

Oct 27, 2017
Because I just bought a product and I expect it to work? Lol

If publishers dont want their social channels inundated with complaints then they should ship a functioning product.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I mean, I never asked for this day 1 patches/hotfixes. I want the game to fucking work on day one. A publisher's content update schedule is Not My Fucking Problem--it's broke, fix it now.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Even by GAF/Era standards this thread is actually nonsense

They're not my fucking boss lmao, if I buy a game I want it to actually work

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Games gold what, a month before release? That gives them 30 days to put together the day one patch or whatever, well within your 2-week notice idea.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
If this was a discussion about smaller, minor parts of the game which don't work given the complexity and size of games where not everything is able to be checked until released giving developers sufficient time to tackle I could understand but that is probably the worst analogy I've seen. I don't mind if a side quest is broken at a launch if there's other content to do or if I encounter one bug if hours of play but if the game has terrible performance, if I can't progress in the game, if the game fails to deliver on what it promised in a working state majority of the time, then yes, consumers have the right to make such demands and it doesn't help that some companies have some terrible refund systems in place like Sony.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Because if you're trying to sell me something and it doesn't work, I'm not going to give you two weeks to fix it, you're going to fix it as soon as possible or you're giving me my money back.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
But you already bought their game what do you expect them to do even if you "give them notice" lmao they'll release it when they want to or when it's finished anyway, no matter what people "demand".

This concept is too ridiculous.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That doesn't make sense at all and your correlation of resigning from a workplace versus a game being updated because of bugs or broken designs is not at all the same. One is you leaving the workplace because of reasons and the other is literally fixing something people have paid for that could potentially be damaging to their system or to the customer be a waste of money because it doesn't work. How are they even remotely the same?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
That's a pretty bad comparison OP...

Do you give the restaurant one week if they fuck up your steak?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Release now fix later is a terrible practice that some developers are all too keen to get away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.