• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
I'm going to keep this vague because I don't want to share TMI, but I need to vent somewhere. No matter how long I live the feeling of utter emptiness I experience when I realize some people have things I will NEVER have doesn't get any less painful. This is obviously an ancient human problem, but fuck everything when it hits you. Fuck.

Get off social media. People only share their successes, rarely their failures.

There's always going to be someone stunting on a higher level.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's just material things: once you have it you realize it doesn't make you happier and you want other things.
This.

I'm not going to say I still don't crave material things but I've kind of realized to a large degree that they aren't so important in life and you can be very happy and even do lots of things and make friends with all kinds of people without being rich or super loaded or anything. I would say money is maybe 20% of it all to live a self actualized life.

I'd say start small, set realistic goals and start building. It's possible for every person to better their life in some form. Rome wasn't built over night but everyone can live an incredibly fulfilling life where they have lots of amazing relationships, feel energized every day, passionate, and happy (calm and true happiness).

There are different things that need to come into play for it to work so try to identify one or two areas you know are hurting you, perhaps your job, and then focus on getting that better.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I felt that way. Something must have changed with me many years ago and erased that kind of thought process from my life perspective.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could be doing better, but right now my cat is cuddling up on my lap so idk I'm pretty happy.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Worst feeling in the world is regret. Or helplessness... that shit sucks.

Envy/jealousy can be easily suppressed IMO.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Nah, I'd imagine failing to provide for those who depend on you (spouse/children) and feeling there is no way for you to do so is worse.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Yeah I echo getting of social media for a while. Social media may make your depression worse especially if you seek news or posts that feed your insecurities further.

Hell I should actually take this advice too lol

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Eh, when you grow up in poverty you start to appreciate the little things you got and not worry so much about having expensive things. It's helped me watch prices more closely as an adult. I know some upper middle class people who I try to convince to do or buy something better for cheaper, but still spend a lot of money for convenience.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get where you're coming from, to an extent. My dad is a piece of shit and is no longer part of my life, so when I go to friends' weddings and see their fathers giving them away, and father daughter dances, it makes me a bit sad because I know I'll never have that. It actually used to make me feel really fucking depressed and sorry for myself, but I've been learning to be grateful for what I do have and not compare myself so much to other people.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Vague, sure, but a little more? Physical consumer things? Relationship things? Spiritual things?

I often wish I had some form of faith, it seems to be a beautiful addition to some people's lives. As absurd as it sits with me.

My wife's best friends mother passed away. We couldn't go to her funeral (lives across the country, but we visited her in her last week alive), but they had audio of it. Listened to the eulogy and others share stories. Most speakers were a part of the church they were a part of. They definitely had some extra connection through their religion, and I was a little envious, despite not being religious myself.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Disappointment is the gap between expectation and reality.

I want things that no one has.

The only way to guarantee I wont get them is to stop trying.

I feel like I'm just spewing platitudes.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
My best advice is to stop with social media. Regardless of how much you have there will always be someone who has more. Stop looking at your friends brag post or some rich person posting all the stuff they have.

That's what I had to do, and I feel much better.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
The reason Envy is a Mortal Sin is because it destroys your appreciation for your own LIFE.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never felt like this either.

You have to learn to focus on yourself OP. While you wont be the billionaire popping bottles on million dollars yachts, there are steps you can take to be comfortable. Have decent healthy food on your table, roof over your head, air in your lungs, maybe a few pleasures and you will be just fine.

Money truly does not buy happiness, it comes from within.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I feel a strong sense of my own intrinsic value. I'm proud of myself, I love myself, I believe I'm worthy of love and belonging from others, and I believe my existence is itself sacred, possessing an unquantifiable value which cannot be given or taken away by anyone. These beliefs are the foundation of my resilience and determination to keep going.

But I'm often angry about what I see as culturally agreed-upon markers of extrinsic human value, many of which are impossible or highly improbable for me, or they're things that I just plain don't want. It creates a very uncomfortable dissonance in which I have a solid sense of my self-worth, but in the eyes of society I'm essentially a failure or a second-class citizen at best.

One example is fertility. I recently had a hysterectomy, it was long overdue, and I'm thrilled with the results thus far. It's drastically reduced the amount of pain I live with on a daily basis, and given me a new lease on life. I'll actually be able to get a better job now. I'll be able to meet or even exceed my fitness goals. I don't have to take pain medication to exercise or have sex anymore. I can make plans and reasonably trust that my body won't ruin them. Win/win, cause for celebration, right? Except for all the looks of pity I get now. "Oh, I'm so sorry, that's so sad, didn't you want children?" As if my prior suffering was nothing, as if I'm never really going to be a whole person, as if my intrinsic value has somehow been lessened, as if no one in their right mind could ever possibly make peace (let alone be happy) with the decision to forfeit their fertility. I can be happy for other people having children, and I can be happy that I won't be having them myself -- those views aren't mutually exclusive. What I'm not happy about is the unrelenting social expectation that I ought to feel bad about my "condition" instead of celebrating it.

Another example is having a car. I live with PTSD related to long-term childhood abuse, much of which occurred when my Dad would take me for car rides. Subsequently as an adult, I dislike them intensely. When I tried to get my license in high school, I experienced flashbacks while driving that rendered me unaware of my surroundings -- comparable to driving drunk. It's obviously a safety hazard and I shouldn't be behind the wheel. There's also the fact that I just plain don't like cars and I've never wanted one -- I know I wouldn't take care of it. Also, as a witch, environmental ethics play heavily into my belief system, and I see fossil fuel-powered vehicles as harmful to living creatures and the Earth. They're something to be discouraged, but instead our culture demands car ownership as a normal part of adulthood. I have no desire to contribute my hard-earned money to the fossil fuel industry if I can avoid it. I also know that people in my income bracket statistically have compromised health outcomes partially due to lack of education about and opportunities for regular exercise. All of these factors combined mean that I ride a bicycle or walk to get around and I'm super fucking proud of it. While other people are vain about their vehicles, I'm vain about all the money I've saved from not buying gas, my reduced carbon footprint, my outstanding blood pressure levels, and my ability to commit to solutions which make the most sense for me. And yet, just like with being childless, this is an endless source of misguided pity and dehumanization from other people, and my happiness with my decisions is met with utter disbelief.

I have similar perspectives about home ownership, career choices, biological family members, and the desire to accumulate wealth. I like myself, I like my life, I know what I want and need -- I just wish that people weren't continually vomiting pity at me for it, or trying to undermine my choices because they're not "normal." It's fucked up.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Why not be happy for those people having nice things that make them happy? I'm sure those things will come your way one day OP, and you wouldn't want others jealous of you for having them, would ya?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My wife is like this, constantly harping on what we don't have and what others do and I have to constantly point out to her how good we have it.

Not saying our situation can improve but I feel very lucky that I have a car and a house and I live in a country where I can go to a grocery store and purchase and food I can hope to eat at almost anytime of the day and it's not going to break my bank.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Don't let the Joneses get you down.

And remember, the people you're trying to keep up with, are trying to keep up to.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for people who feel the need to compare themselves to others

We each go down our own path, why compare when you cannot possibly know what path the other person took?

It doesn't make sense

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Edit:
The more people post on social media, the less they are in the moment of happiness.
Don't be fooled by the social media lie. The most happy people rarely post on social media. One reason for that is that they don't care what other people think of their life or want to treasure the privacy of their loved ones by not going too public with it.
Is there a vague correlation article you're basing that conclusion off of?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I've been pretty poor my entire life. I find joy in the small things I'm actually able to obtain. I'm happy with my life and wouldn't trade it for a big house or a fancy car.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
It is not enough for me to be happy.

Others must feel worse because of how happy I am.
its-not-enough-that-i-should-succeed-others-should-fail-kevin-chang.jpg