• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this would be an interesting thread. Ever played a game where you wanted to know if there was a real life equivalent to the level you are playing in? I have been doing that for quite a while.

I"m playing through Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and I'm wondering: what real world location is most like Forest of Doom?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played a Castlevania game, but with a name like Forest of Doom the real life equivalent would obviously be somewhere like Aokigahara.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played a Castlevania game, but with a name like Forest of Doom the real life equivalent would obviously be somewhere like Aokigahara.

It actually feels European, believe it or not. For some reason, there's a university in the map.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what the real-life analogue to Death Stranding's environments are; but they sure as shit ain't America.

I would be curious what they match up to. Scotland? Scandinavia? Iceland?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even in Gaming, you make threads about rl cities. Smh.

Jk. Not exactly relevant to "levels," but when playing Shadowrun on the Genesis, I try to look for similarities to rl Seattle. I haven't found tons, but I don't get out a lot.

Edit: I found a lot more in the PC Shadowrun RPGs, tho.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I Swear we just had this thread.

and I swear I remember someone saying

"There can't be no place as messed up as what Resident Evil 4 portrayed "

and then Someone was like...yeah there's places like that.

giphy.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a theme park on top of a bunch of skyscrapers in Japan like the one in JSRF I want to know. The closest thing I know of is the Stratosphere in Vegas

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Even in Gaming, you make threads about rl cities. Smh.

This actually wasn't meant to be about cities, per se. Nice try.

But seriously, all this Castlevania has made me want to seek out the real life castles that served as inspiration, for starters.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This actually wasn't meant to be about cities, per se. Nice try.

But seriously, all this Castlevania has made me want to seek out the real life castles that served as inspiration, for starters.
Oh come on, bud. We all know what "real world equivalents" mean, "per se."

Don't deny your brand. It's a good brand.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I'm not sure what the real-life analogue to Death Stranding's environments are; but they sure as shit ain't America.

I would be curious what they match up to. Scotland? Scandinavia? Iceland?

I haven't played it but the environments I've seen in alot of the gameplay trailers resembled my memories of Iceland quite a bit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I Swear we just had this thread.

and I swear I remember someone saying

"There can't be no place as messed up as what Resident Evil 4 portrayed "

and then Someone was like...yeah there's places like that.

giphy.gif

Hmmm, now that is interesting.

Resident Evil 4, if I call correctly, takes its inspiration from a lot of French or Italian villages.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've always wondered if Anor Londo was based on one specific location or just an amalgamation of a couple real world castles.