• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When a site has a pop-up that tells you to disable your adblocker before you can browse, do you?

• Mostly Yes

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • Mostly No

Votes: 1,196 92.1%

• Total voters

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that people don't realise that websites need the ad revenue to stay afloat. If everyone used adblock who visited my site, I'd not be able to keep it going. I barely can as it is due to how ad rates divebomb each year which has made me have to use some ad techniques I'd really rather not use (but doing it tastefully and only for certain campaigns)

I still maintain that using adblock is tauntamount to piracy.
Everyone realizes that.

The problem is that everyone also realizes that advertisers cannot be trusted. The entire reason adblockers exist in the first place isn't because people get super annoyed at seeing a small rectangle of advertising on a page somewhere. It's because when you allow ads, you can get all kinds of ridiculous bullshit.

There's a reason that modern browsers come with things like popup blockers built in, and it's not because internet advertisers show restraint. We've all seen popups, popunders, ads that take over your screen and start playing loud sounds, ads that capture your mouse cursor, ads that try to convince you your computer has a virus so you should call this number or download this software, ads that open a window and won't let you close it. That's not even counting the more subtle ads that spread malware to your system without making a big deal about it.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
If they aren't a site that has tons of ads when I disable it, then yes. But mostly those show up on news sites that have 10 ads and ones that auto play video, so I just close the tab in that case.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it still depends on the site though, some sites are able to retain sponsorships based on traffic so having people not avoid the site altogether is beneficial. There's one site that has awful ads that I block but I do listen to their podcasts which are all ad supported.

No ones get podcasts via websites though, do they? I'm a giant bomb subscriber and I haven't actually been on their website in years.

And having a lot of traffic even if they use Adblock can help a site grow. But I get it. Clearly there's a problem here and it's easy to blame those who are getting the content but there's definitely something more here.

Yeah - because not being content with having to not pay for something, they want to remove the best method for the people making the content to get paid for doing so. It's always someone else's fault, though.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. If it's an article I really want to see, then sure.

But I do leave adblock on Hulu. Rather have 120 seconds of silence to do something else, than get sold the same 4 commercials.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mostly leave instantly.

I feel like an ass towards people who work there for doing it - but ads have just become way too invasive.
There's simply no way I'm going to wait 15 seconds for a video on something I don't give the beginning of a fuck about to end before I can have 5 second of skimming through an article simply to check whether it actually seems of interest to me (in which case I go back to the beginning and read it), if it's something I've already read somewhere else but is just formulated differently, of if it's just plain and simple click bait.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yeah - because not being content with having to not pay for something, they want to remove the best method for the people making the content to get paid for doing so. It's always someone else's fault, though.

I've mixed feelings about this. Even the website that relies most heavily on embedded ads, YouTube, has been losing money for years. Even worse, the content they've elected to subsidize heaviest, while undeniably popular, is of mixed quality and frequently is actively harmful.

So you're not producing harmful content, but still the server costs and miscellaneous production costs force you to seek revenue. Mostly this is going to be through a contract with an advertising network that essentially hires space on your server and pays you, perhaps by the click-through rate. This is where it gets gnarly for those who seek out your content. The current state of the art is rather desperate because the advertising networks have not acted in a trustworthy manner, sometimes delivering harmful content to those who visit websites, sometimes even injecting malware into computers. As a website owner you desperately need the revenue, but at the same time you must understand that the people who come for your content must also be curated. You have a duty of care. Perhaps many website owners are diligent in sticking only to ethical advertising networks, but the overall environment is one in which only a fool would trust any given website to keep the harmful stuff away.

I know, Patreon-style sponsorship is difficult to build, and clearly some people are not producing the kind of original content that can be financed in this way. They end up with a failing website that bleeds money. Nobody told you this would happen, so you blame the freeloaders who use your bandwidth without any intention of contributing. But they're not the problem, they're just a consequence of the irresponsible exploitation of desperate website owners by unscrupulous advertisers.

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. There's better ways to make money on a website without infecting it with digital ad disease.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you're not producing harmful content, but still the server costs and miscellaneous production costs fine you to seek revenue. Mostly this is going to be through a contract with an advertising network that essentially hires space on your server and pays you, perhaps by the click-through rate. This is where it gets gnarly for those who seek out your content. The current state of the art is rather desperate because the advertising networks have not acted in a trustworthy manner, sometimes delivering harmful content to those who visit websites, sometimes even injecting malware into computers. As a website owner you desperately need the revenue, but at the same time you must understand that the people who come for your content must also be curated. You have a duty of care. Perhaps many website owners are diligent in sticking only to ethical advertising networks, but the overall environment is one in which only a fool would trust any given website to keep the harmful stuff away.

I feel like this has only ever really been a niche concern and it's getting more niche by the day. Advertising networks are getting more sophisticated with what they show, and clearly this is a moot point for Youtube et al anyway - they *are* the advertising network, too.

At some point the statute of limitations has to wear off, doesn't it? If you carefully blacklist websites that use certain advertising networks that have proved harmful, then fair enough (though if you know what they are, you could simply avoid going on them thus rendering the discussion moot). But I strongly suspect that the vast majority of people using ad-blockers just use the default behaviour of blocking literally everything. At what point does a website popping up something with a pair of tits on it years ago "run out" and one decides to start paying for the content they enjoy again?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
The few times I turn off my blocker on these requests I end up getting full screen ads saying subscribe to their newsletter, sign up for more features, etc, a ton of bullshit. So much so that now I generally just look elsewhere for the info.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
At some point the statute of limitations has to wear off, doesn't it? If you carefully blacklist websites that use certain advertising networks that have proved harmful, then fair enough (though if you know what they are, you could simply avoid going on them thus rendering the discussion moot). But I strongly suspect that the vast majority of people using ad-blockers just use the default behaviour of blocking literally everything. At what point does a website popping up something with a pair of tits on it years ago "run out" and one decides to start paying for the content they enjoy again?

It's not about tits a couple of years ago. It's about, amongst other serious concerns, an active malware injection war which the client systems and hosts are losing.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There are no sites I don't block ads for, I'll pay for a subscription but I'm not turning Ublock off.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just leave. The sites that try to force you to disable your adblocker are ALWAYS the ones with the hideously intrusive borderline spyware ads. Screw them.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Until the day that ads aren't a security risk anymore I will always run an adblocker and that is non-negociable.