• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When a site has a pop-up that tells you to disable your adblocker before you can browse, do you?

• Mostly Yes

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • Mostly No

Votes: 1,196 92.1%

• Total voters

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, 90% of the time I close the site.
5% of the time I use the Chrome inspector, remove the popup/overlay, and set the overflow on the body/html tag to 'overflow: auto'
4% of the time I try opening it in an incognito window or some other sandboxed browser window
1% of the time I lose track of what i'm doing and can't account for that

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I only block sites that abuse or slow down traffic.

And those that have autoplaying audio/video.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Mostly no. Rarely yes.

Because disabling the ad blocker doesn't just mean hey now ads show up on the page, which might be an annoying audio/visual experience. It means all the tracking scripts behind these ads (and scripts that aren't even tied to displayed ads) now have free reign as I browse this site. Also many ads aren't for actual products or services a normal person might use, but seem to be blatant scams, or lie to you based on your IP/location data. "Mom in [Your Town] Lost 60 Pounds With This One Weird Trick!" That sort of thing.

So it's pretty rare that I say, "Okay, website, I care enough about this content to turn off my ad blocker for you." More often I'll just say screw this and move on. Or use the browser's dev tools to remove the element hiding the underlying content, which is usually more hassle than it's worth.

Also, for folks who are using ad blockers, it'd be good to also block third-party cookies in your browser settings. You'll run into problems occasionally, but if you care about blocking tracking scripts, you probably care about blocking unnecessary cookies as well.

EDIT - As for news sites, I have a paid subscription to one (WaPo), so I can get news there without feeling guilty about blocking ads or trying to get around paywalls.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's mostly news sites, and there are always alternatives, so I just try a different website.

Oct 31, 2017
Nope. Partially because disabling adblock doesn't make the notice go away, probably because of the suite of other privacy add ons I use.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If I can't access it without an adblocker, then I just leave. Usually most sites that force you to turn off an adblocker, it means not only does all of their revenue come from ads, but those ads are the gnarliest, malicious, and spyware/adware infused ads imaginable.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
99% of the time it's just an HTML overlay that's takes a couple of seconds to remove by inspecting.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give examples? I know I have run into one or two but honestly the number of sites I visit now is down to basically just youtube, google news, twitch, era, reddit, etc. I rarely click on links to sites I don't really recognize anymore due to all the potential for zero day browser/etc exploits.

I mean hell recently it turns out people could hijaack your computer with origin (pc game client) links or something like that, and of course there have been numerous scares that just "viewing" a GIF could trigger overflow code.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't force me, their content is worthwhile and the ads are unobtrusive, I do. If they force me, I leave.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
No site is worth it.

I even changed my mechanic because I couldn't book online without disabling adblock.
Do they have ads on the site, or does the ad blocker end up blocking some third-party service they use for booking?

That is one thing that really annoys me, when non-content businesses (whether it's a site for a brick & mortar shop or an online retailer/service provider) still try to push third-party ads on you.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
If it is a site I like, visit often, and mostly trust, I turn off ad blocker.

If it is a site clicked to out of bored curiosity, no.

Auto play ads get immediately ad block. Basically, sites that use obtrusive ads have ruin it for many good sites. I block as the default.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I'll do it once if the ads on the page are annoying then I block the site again and leave. I get why they need ads but most sites these days have really annoying ad placement.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No, absolutely not. I just leave if it doesn't allow it at all. I also get a massive kick out of incredibly wealthy and massively successful places that do it like NBA.com and things of that nature. Maybe it was MLB.. one of the big sports leagues. I'm just like you can fuck right off.

I turn off adblocker on some sites but if they lock me out entirely, I've got no interest in visiting.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I only use my blocker on obnoxious sites and outside of 1 that gives me that problem I just leave. odds are if I have my blocker on I don't want to be at your site.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where is the "Fuck no never" option? Honestly if your site prevents me from viewing your content because of ad blocker I simply will never use your site, its as simple as that.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I've never disabled ad blocker due to a content block like this. I disable it regularly to support content and people I want to support.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Ad services are still shit at vetting their ads and I'm not risking having malware dumped on my PC.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Turn off your ad blocker"

fn9JnTO.gif

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
A good portion of the time Firefox's reader view works to go around the blocking and works fine for reading a single article.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Often you can just specifically block that notification element using the element picker (uBlock). I use it even for non-ads to make sites more readable by removing blocks of whitespace and header images.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If a site forces me I'll try to disable the block via dev console and if my first couple of lazy tries don't work I'll leave.

I'll enable whitelist for any site I want to use regularly that isn't obnoxious with them.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only disable it if it stops me from viewing the entire site or if it's a place I visit a lot, like here.

And no I don't feel bad considering the super intrusive ads that exist out there. Not just pop ups but shit that'll slow you down like random videos in the corner or long ass gifs that have to load. They're so big that it won't even download completely because I'll be at another page.
Fuck you for picking those type of ads for your site.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
No, I don't.
I tend to leave and hope I can find whatever I am looking for elsewhere.

In fact most pop-ups tend to leave me annoyed with the website I'm browsing, same with cookie warnings and auto-play videos.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Depends if I want to see your content enough that I cant find it elsewhere. I'll most likely leave the site if the ads are really intrusive

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the times, yes.

I genuinely dont have a problem with about 75% of the ads, the adblocker is there for the really obnoxious stuff. If you are nice enough to ask me to disable it then, I usually will. Havent regretted it yet.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I try to work around it for a minute, then leave if I fail; unless I really need whatever info/file is on the site (in which case I temporarily unblock).

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Those same sites with a million auto-play videos, pop up's telling me to subscribe for more content, and of course those shit malware ads. I just stop going to them.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
another leave guy here.

may as well hold up a huge banner that says "we've definitely sold you out"