• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 3, 2019
The Vita was a champ at this. I would sometimes leave it in sleep mode for over a week and I'd be able to jump right back in. That battery was built on sorcery.
The secret is how sleep mode works. 15 seconds after you shut off the screen It powers down the entire system except for the dram, which runs on a low power mode. You can leave it off for weeks and still have battery left.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It's been 99% for me with the ps4. I like it there better than the xbox b/c it just boots you to your game, no dashboard or anything.

Switch is even better.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
I unfortunately have a PS4 that constantly turns itself on and off, kicks itself out of rest mode, etc. No suspend for me.

Switch is butter for suspend though.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I never use this feature on PC/PS4/X1. I might go days between booting up a particular console so it might waste energy, and my power has a bad habit of going out which causes consoles like the PS4 to bitch and complain if they are left in sleep mode.

I do use it on Switch occasionally but I generally just quit to the menu when I'm done playing for the night.
This was basically what I was going to post. Never use it on XBO and PS4, rarely use it on Switch (outside of handheld mode).

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Suspend on consoles seems very reliable. I've had more troubles with pc but it's still reliable enough to use it almost all the time.

Wait, what? PC suspend? Do you mean just putting the whole computer to sleep, or is there some magic "suspend a PC game" tool I don't know about? The only time I can ever suspend a game on PC is if I'm using, say, PCSX2 with savestates or something like that. Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 had suspend/resume functionality on PC as well, but that's because Durante is awesome and explicitly programmed it into the ports.

What? Rest mode has always worked for me. Sure, it will disconnect you from your online session, which might mean a reset to the main menu. But that's hardly the fault of the OS.

I found that especially early on in the Xbox One's life, suspend/resume was pretty glitchy. I remember you'd have to restart Forza Horizon 3 (I think? one of the Forzas, anyways) a lot of the time because eventually the sound would crap out. Other times I think the resume just failed completely, or the Xbox One would start up and pretend you'd never suspended a game at all.

The PS4 has been much, much more reliable for me despite not having suspend/resume at launch. Literally the only problem I've had with it besides online disconnections has been Days Gone, where once the audio desynced from the action after multiple suspend/resumes. But I've only had it happen the one time and I'm not sure if it's a common issue or not.

As for portable consoles: my OG 3DS was terrible at it (often, once I suspended a game, I couldn't get my 3DS to exit sleep mode at all without doing a hard shutdown), my New 3DS is pretty reliable, and the Vita has been rock solid. Switch has been pretty reliable too in my experience, but I have fewer hours clocked on it and the vast majority of it is in one game.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why but I never really use this feature ar all. I like to boot up my game everytime I play. I could see myself using it if I were to have a few quick short sessions during the day, but honestly I feels "irresponsible" like I'm just pausing the game and leaving it running.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what? PC suspend? Do you mean just putting the whole computer to sleep, or is there some magic "suspend a PC game" tool I don't know about? The only time I can ever suspend a game on PC is if I'm using, say, PCSX2 with savestates or something like that. Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 had suspend/resume functionality on PC as well, but that's because Durante is awesome and explicitly programmed it into the ports.

I found that especially early on in the Xbox One's life, suspend/resume was pretty glitchy. I remember you'd have to restart Forza Horizon 3 (I think? one of the Forzas, anyways) a lot of the time because eventually the sound would crap out. Other times I think the resume just failed completely, or the Xbox One would start up and pretend you'd never suspended a game at all.

The PS4 has been much, much more reliable for me despite not having suspend/resume at launch. Literally the only problem I've had with it besides online disconnections has been Days Gone, where once the audio desynced from the action after multiple suspend/resumes. But I've only had it happen the one time and I'm not sure if it's a common issue or not.

As for portable consoles: my OG 3DS was terrible at it (often, once I suspended a game, I couldn't get my 3DS to exit sleep mode at all without doing a hard shutdown), my New 3DS is pretty reliable, and the Vita has been rock solid. Switch has been pretty reliable too in my experience, but I have fewer hours clocked on it and the vast majority of it is in one game.

Oh yeah thats not really the same. Im thinking of sleeping a machine with programs open.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Works great for me on XB1. 360 games being the exception as they'll close out after returning to the dash for a minute or so.

Phantom Dust is crazy, though. It can save it's state even after you open another game because it's technically an app.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I fucking hate suspending mk11 on PS4. Disconnects from servers (which is normal), but you cannot reconnect to the servers without closing and reopening the game so... Yeah. Suspension is useless in this case lol.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I love it.

There's nothing better than playing a game before bed, pausing and putting my PS4 to sleep, and then playing from the exact same place when I play before work.

I just press 3 button, and bam.

No loading the game, nothing.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
"When"?

Can't speak for other consoles, but on PS4, it has never not worked.

At launch, it didn't work. It took a few patches, and one or two more after other people said theirs was working before mine ever did. Since then, though, it's been glorious. I recently played through Demon's Souls again on PS3, and damn, the boot up and unskippable logos are so tedious now.

I'd call it the 2nd best hardware feature this gen, after #1: after-the-fact video recording.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Psp go pause feature blew my mind at the time. Even if you had to wait a bit for it to create the save state, being able to do that for any (I think?) game and shut the system down fully was handheld convenience bliss

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
At launch, it didn't work. It took a few patches, and one or two more after other people said theirs was working before mine ever did. Since then, though, it's been glorious. I recently played through Demon's Souls again on PS3, and damn, the boot up and unskippable logos are so tedious now.

I'd call it the 2nd best hardware feature this gen, after #1: after-the-fact video recording.
Exactly. At launch there were some games that bugged out (like Bloodborne's AI would basically shit itself). Suspend mode was causing a lot of issues in the beginning.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
For my switch and ps4 its perfect, in fact I had a diablo game suspended for 3 months on ps4 and it worked perfectly when I went to play it again. I had intended to leave it a few hours but stuff happened. My og x1 is terrible and I just stopped using suspend on it but my s I have no problems on.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Suspend on the xone needs some improvement. Some games, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, can not be resumed at all for no apparent reason. Worse performance after resuming is not uncommon and I've had issues with dissapearing sound in FH4 multiple times.