• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember vividly playing Destiny on my PS4 with friends and coming to a dead end. Ghost had to do his work and save us. The music was building, the villains were gathering in the shadows. And for the first time in a video game the action actually matched the score. My friends and I were scrambling for our lives as things kept building. What a great scene. If you're not aware it was "Deactivating the Mesh" - the finest video game scene ever crafted.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Riding your horse at night, the world illuminated by the moon. Then this song hits you ... it's incredible.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Years ago, I was playing AC4 with the Pirates of the Caribbean OST playing in the background because why not, and this happened:

It wasn't the ingame OST, but I think that made it even cooler lol. This was captured via the Shadowplay replay feature and I didn't add the music in, I had it playing in the background and that just... happened

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
The song that plays when you're escaping the Ginso Tree in Ori and the Blind Forest.

Perfection.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first few times you start swinging in Spider-Man PS4, it's exhilarating how the swinging and the music work together. A few hours in though, the strings going dahdahdahDAHdahdahdahda gets kind of annoying. Thankfully you can lower the music volume.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Pretty much the entirety of Doom 2016.
The game is dynamically scored in such a way that every battle feels like it builds to the most explosive conclusion.

Jibby

Oct 27, 2017
The moon scene in Portal 2 comes to mind:

Always felt that Portal 2 had a lot of great music moments like this, but this one definitely takes the cake.

sorry

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
When the androids are shouting "Kono mama jya dame" (this cannot continue) and it's incorporated into the boss theme.

The start of Persona 5 when "Life Will Change" starts playing (also when it plays in all the last days of the Palaces).

The Last of Us
When you're carrying Ellie out of the hospital and "All Gone" starts playing

Oct 27, 2017
The boss fight + dialogue + music is just perfect.

One of my favorite moments in demon's souls (and soulsborne in general).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
One time in Diablo 3 when I was running bounties with my Monk. This particular bounty trapped me in an arena like space, activated several spinning flamethrowers and threw waves of enemies at me. I was playing on a difficulty level that was already somewhat challenging against a normal mobs, and now I had to fight of several waves while dodging the flames! At first I didn't think I would make it, but as my Monk kicked enemies away, summoned giant bells to crush enemies on the spot and shrouded herself in the desert sands to avoid attacks, the tide of battle turned. And when it did, this theme kicked in:

(Skip to 2:18 if it doesn't automatically.)

It was A GLORIOUS DEVELOPMENT.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
No Doom 2016?
The first thing I thought about was how the shotgun was synced with the music.

I remember hearing something about the developers having to put in a lot of work to get it right on the Bombcast.

Edit: Maybe it is not in the spirit of the thread, but it cemented the feel of the game to me.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
The 'Daredevil' moment in Ace Combat 7 is obviously incredible but I'll go with 'Two Pairs' from the same game instead. You're thrown into your first dogfight against Mihaly, weaving between tight canyon rock structures and avoiding lightning strikes, desperately trying to connect with a missile, all while the radio chatter in the background glorifies your abilities to an absurd degree. The power fantasy aspect of Ace Combat is so over-the-top but it completely works.

'Merchants of Novigrad' happened to be the first track that played on my initial visit to the city of the same name in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and it perfectly captured the hustle and bustle after spending tens of hours wading through the oppressive bogs of Velen. I loved the game already but I think wandering the streets and soaking in the atmosphere that first time was the moment I knew I was playing a new all-time favourite.

This track would periodically play during gameplay in Freedom Fighters and it seriously pumped me up for some action every time without fail. Even when trying to play conservatively, I was compelled to go guns blazing with my squad when it played. It's perfect for a rebellion.

Rescuing Sean to this music in Red Dead Redemption 2 was another one of those moments that brought me totally onboard for the adventure, if only to experience the entire soundtrack. It's such a shame this one doesn't appear on the official release of the score.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The moon scene in Portal 2 comes to mind:

Always felt that Portal 2 had a lot of great music moments like this, but this one definitely takes the cake.

sorry

Agree. That was my favorite game of the entire generation. I loved every part. The pre-release advertisements, the game itself, the music, dialogue/story, gameplay, ending and the multiplayer stuff that I played after the campaign. Just stem to stern a great damn game.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
iMUSE, the thread. What a wonderful little toy Lucasarts had, and what a wonderful ways they used it in most of their 90's games, especially the Star Wars space sims. You could be dogfighting some X-wing or TIE Interceptor without paying any attention to the rest of the battle and still knew everything you needed of what was happening just by how the music was changing at any given moment.

Last edited:

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Ikaruga matches its music in every single frame.

Basically every note is an aural cue if you're going for a high score, and there's no moment when the action doesn't fit the soundtrack like a glove and vice versa.