• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

linda-1559596147.jpg

In the first episode of the Netflix mini-series When They See Us, New York prosecutor Linda Fairstein, played by Felicity Huffman, sits in front of a map of Central Park as five teenage boys sit in the precinct. After a woman was brutally raped in the park, the authorities brought in those who they believed were in the vicinity.

But in a key scene about halfway through the episode, the focus of the conversation with Kevin Richardson, 15, Raymond Santana, 14, Antron McCray, 15, Yusef Salaam, 15, and Korey Wise, 16, changed.

"All this is happening in the park ... and it's not connected?" the Fairstein character says, looking at the times in which the boys were apparently in the park. "They're not witnesses. They're suspects."

anyone present during the interrogation process that these five men were participants, not only in the other attacks that night but in the attack on the jogger."

Fairstein lives in Manhattan and Martha's Vineyard and has written a series of books about the protagonist Alexandra Cooper, a fictional Manhattan assistant district attorney. Her most recent, Blood Oath, was released just last month. Her books have been New York Times bestsellers and have been translated to 12 languages. She's also written Devlin Quick Mysteries for kids.

In 2018, the Mystery Writers of America awarded her their prestigious Grand Master title, a lifetime achievement award. But just two days later, the group rescinded the award for the first time after the decision was met with fierce backlash from other authors because of Fairstein's involvement in the Central Park Five case.

Filmmaker DuVernay reached out to Fairstein when she was working on the miniseries. And Fairstein tried to control how she was portrayed, according to DuVernay.

"Yes, I reached out to [victim] Ms. [Trisha] Meili, I reached out to Ms. Fairstein, I reached out to [prosecutor] Ms. [Elizabeth] Lederer, I reached out to [detective] Mr. [Mike] Sheehan—a lot of the key figures on the other side," DuVernay told The Daily Beast. "I informed them that I was making the film, that they would be included, and invited them to sit with me and talk with me so that they could share their point of view and their side of things so that I could have that information as I wrote the script with my co-writers. Linda Fairstein actually tried to negotiate.

"She tried to negotiate conditions for her to speak with me, including approvals over the script and some other things. So you know what my answer was to that, and we didn't talk."

A change.org petition calls for publishers and booksellers to stop the production and sales of Fairstein's novels. As of this writing, more than 13,000 have signed it. The boycott has the support of at least one of the men of the so-called Central Park Five, as well.

attorney-linda-fairstein-news-photo-148448342-1559593256.jpg

The explosive Netflix series "When They See Us," which depicts in excruciating detail the so-called Central Park Five being railroaded by New York state into serving prison time for the rape and assault of the Central Park jogger in 1989, has social media demanding book retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble stop selling the mystery novels written by Linda Fairstein

Three days after the premiere, a #CancelLindaFairstein campaign is going viral — and has even expanded to include one of her publishers, Simon & Schuster, by way of a #BOYCOTTSIMONSCHUSTER tag. Angie Thomas, author of the young adult best-seller "The Hate You Give," also called out Fairstein's other publisher, Penguin Random House.

To this day, Fairstein stands by the initial verdicts, even though Mattias Ryes confessedto the crime in 2002 and the convictions against the five young men were vacated. Scores of incensed viewers took to Twitter to register their outrage — and DuVernay herself weighed in on the brewing controversy.

Today, Fairstein deactivated her Facebook and Twitter accounts . After all this time the pressure is finally getting to her.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
From a lawyer/prosecutor's POV, it's better to not participate in the film making and mount a defense later.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not familiar with this case, did all the kids spend a lot of time in prison? I kinda did a fast read on google and now I don't know if i can watch this, the trailer alone broke me to be honest.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm not familiar with this case, did all the kids spend a lot of time in prison? I kinda did a fast read on google and now I don't know if i can watch this, the trailer alone broke me to be honest.

Yes. They spent enough time to shame the entire state of new york who paid them millions when they got their names cleared but they were also badgered by the Donald Trump and his band of racists after it because they wanted to lynch some blacks in New York but couldn't without getting half the city burned down if they tried it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This seems like the one of the litteral worst ideas for a story. Like I struggle to imagine something worse.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is it kinda weird that we are essentially practicing mob internet justice based off TV shows nowadays

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It is pretty weird but when the legal system fails to deliver justice we have to take what we can get.

Yup. Its why I always shrug at the critiques on internet mobs, they are an unfortunate symptom, not cause, of various failings of the justice system. So when there's an debate about its not fair imho the bigger question is what's making people so emotionally invested to make sure 'this' one doesnt get away.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
If only we could do the same to Trump. I'd like to see these monsters go through one week of what these boys did.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Very good, every prosecuter even tangentially related should be disbarred and any revenue they've made through books, etc given to the families.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Trump will give her call to console her I bet. Or invite her to the WH.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good to see some one facing consequences for what they did to those kids even if it's a little late.

Just wish some of that blowback would hit the president who wanted them executed even after they were exonerated.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Fairstein told the New Yorker, "I think Reyes (the actual perp) ran with that pack of kids. He stayed longer when the others moved on. He completed the assault. I don't think there is a question in the minds of anyone present during the interrogation process that these five men were participants, not only in the other attacks that night but in the attack on the jogger.

This fucking piece of shit...

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
The show is fantastic, on episode 4. I didn't see it going this route.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I cried like a baby in episode 4. The acting is just all around superb. If this was a movie it'd be Oscar worthy imo.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
When people in law or law enforcement make decisions that uproot and demolish the lives of innocent citizens, they deserve more than just a media blackout or boycott. Lock these fuckers up.