• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode and I have to say, don't think I'm going to finish it this week.
I'm beyond pissed, I'll try again in a few days.
I wish that everyone involved in getting them jailed is met with the worst end possible in life.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Man, it must be terrible to be falsely accused of doing a terrible thing and unjustly demonised. I mean, can you imagine what that must be like? To suddenly be thrown out of your normal life into intense scrutiny and targeted by people that don't even know you, to feel hated and vilified, to have to frantically explain how everyone else is conspiring against you for reasons you can't even understand? What a terrible injustice.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Man, it must be terrible to be falsely accused of doing a terrible thing and unjustly demonised. I mean, can you imagine what that must be like? To suddenly be thrown out of your normal life into intense scrutiny and targeted by people that don't even know you, to feel hated and vilified, to have to frantically explain how everyone else is conspiring against you for reasons you can't even understand? What a terrible injustice.
I wish every person she knows would repeat this to her.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That publisher is still shit, though. Monday, they were still defending her. This is about them saving face.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What breaks my heart about all this is how the jogger, the woman who was attacked, still believes the 5 boys did this. She has no memory of anything after leaving to go jog, thankfully has no memory of the attack at all, but she still thinks they did it. Why? "The police told me the evidence indicates 5 boys attacked me, so I believe them."

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how many people have had similar reactions. This was the same with me too.

The actor who played Korey Wise deserves every award they can possibly give him. His enormous eyes sold every scene so well. You could read all sorts of emotions in him just from his eyes, each one heartbreaking. There's that scene in episode 4 where he's hallucinating hugging his mom, saying, "you're a good mom" and they have this shot of him standing up with this solemn expression as tears roll down his cheeks that destroyed me.

Its that level of acting which helps make all of this so infuriating. If you have even a shred of decency or empathy in your body, this stuff will make you furious.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've met someone who was wrongfully convicted of murder and spent 15 years in prison. Honestly one of the kindest, most humble people I've ever met. Needless to say, the experience was very difficult for him, but he always held onto hope that the truth would be found out and he would be free again. He has a family now and is doing really well, he does a lot of anti-death penalty and offender re-entry activism now.

That said, I can only imagine how much worse it is for this to happen to you as a child. It would be even more traumatic, given your brain is still not fully developed and you are way more vulnerable than an adult in the same situation...which is what makes what happened to these boys so tragic. The police and prosecutors intimidated, beat, and stole the lives of children out of racism and laziness.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
This is just one of the more publicized cases of wrongful imprisonment. Our jails and prisons are filled with black men who have either been coerced into confessing to or convicted of crimes for which there was no evidence of guilt. Read about Kalief Browder.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
How could she possibly stand by the until verdict? That undermines any possible defense she could mount for herself.

We started the show and my wife refused to keep going because she was too worried she wouldn't be able to protect our (affluent, white) son from the police.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Man, fuck that lady and the cops too. I read about the whole crime but the show really put stuff into perspective. It got me heated and fucking bummed me the hell out. I had to stop watching it for a bit because it was just too much.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, fuck that lady and the cops too. I read about the whole crime but the show really put stuff into perspective. It got me heated and fucking bummed me the hell out. I had to stop watching it for a bit because it was just too much.

Fuck the media, too. The netflix series doesn't go into so much, but the ken burns documentary does. Holy fuck the media was disgusting about this case. They blew it up so big. The media is the reason Korey had to spend nearly 12 years in solitary, because everybody in the damn nation knew his name and were gunning for him because the media painted him as the biggest criminal in history.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, critical thinking seems to be a quaint notion from a long-ago time these days.

That's not a comment on this situation however, I'm not too familiar with this case.

A long ago time? You realise the media demonisation of these young men and the narrative around them, is partly what exasperated the situation in the first place? A well researched, sourced, documented and detailed TV series is probably still a better gauge of something than knee jerk sensationalism, especially by the news and media.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Extremely embarrassing for WSJ. This thread made me start watching the series. Just got done with the first episode. My blood is already boiling. I can't.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I have to subscribe to read this, lmfao. They seriously want me to pay them to read "they're no angels"?
Bypass Paywalls should let you see it.

github.com

GitHub - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-firefox: Bypass Paywalls for Firefox

Bypass Paywalls for Firefox. Contribute to iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-firefox development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com

GitHub - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome: Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox.

Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Warning: never read WSJ comments. Even moreso than on other sites.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first episode a week ago and then had to go through the other three in one sitting on the weekend. It's one of the most intense pieces of media I've ever seen.

My initial assumption was that it would be a lot of apathy and jumping to conclusions based on weak evidence. What I actually saw was people in the media and the justice system deciding who's guilty by first deciding what the attackers should look or act like. The boys were victims, and the prosecutors exploited them to advance themselves. It completely destroys any trust in the system that would trust these officers and prosecutors.

And these guys were the lucky ones. The actual attacker came forward after the statute of limitations had passed, with only his DNA connected to the scene, and with a full confession that no one else was involved. As a man, I can understand every thought and reaction those boys had from the initial arrest in their teens to adulthood as a felon. Being totally powerless and having no voice at all. A ton of shitty people got a pass in life to go to a position of power and exploit these boys like that.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
First showed I tear up in a loooong time. The last scene of the free men with their moms standing with their community broke me. I cannot imagine how the 5 felt.

Oct 29, 2017
For anyone locked out behind the paywall:
  1. The show makes out that they were deprived food and counsel from their parents but she says none of this is in any of the hearings.
  2. It portrays her as being there at dawn to engineer the police investigation and making racist remarks. She obviously denies the racist remarks and says she didn't arrive until 22 hours after the investigation had began.
  3. The show makes out that Salaam and Wise were arrested on the street but they were actually arrested at their houses as both men had been named by other rioters as attackers in assaults.
  4. They made it look like she demanded Salaam's birth certificate as she didn't believe it was 15. She says it was Salaam who said he was 16 and had a forged busspass to prove it, once his Mum said he was 15 all lines of questioning stopped.
  5. The show makes it look like the only evidence was forced confessions. She asserts a woman testified that Wise called her brother and said that he held the jogger down and felt her breasts. There was blood on their clothes. Each of the five were named as participating attackers of multiple victims by other participants but not the rape.
  6. Salaam testified that he carried a 14" metal pipe into the park, which is the same weapon used to kill the jogger.

Can anyone tell me how much of this is bullshit? I think point 6 is easily explained by being a false confession.

The rest seems like artistic liscense of making a TV drama and not a documentary.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Out of all the flack Trump gets for his fuckery. The shit he did here should be front and center that fucking pos.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty weird but when the legal system fails to deliver justice we have to take what we can get.
And it is pretty effective. It's becsuse of this show that Dutton dropped her, although I thought they were already out of business and Surviving R. Kelly is what got Spotify to drop him

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CNN had a pretty disgusting interview with one of the officers involved. The host basically "both sides" the case at the end.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Maaannn, why are we necroing this thread?!?! I came in all excited to see that she got disbarred, or caught some hands somewhere, or got sued and its just a video about someone else being stupid.

Sorry, I hate very very few people on this earth and she is one of them that I just might hate the most.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Maaannn, why are we necroing this thread?!?! I came in all excited to see that she got disbarred, or caught some hands somewhere, or got sued and its just a video about someone else being stupid.

Sorry, I hate very very few people on this earth and she is one of them that I just might hate the most.

yeah me too. I thought something major happened.