• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I can't even go through the series in one go. I had to take breaks. It's just absolutely heart wrenching.

My dog would come and sit on my lap and nuzzle my neck as I watched, I guess I was that visibly upset while watching. The worst fucking part is the lack of justice. All the fucking villains not only got off without punishment, they became filthy fucking rich in the process.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck everything about her dumb ass... I wish her the worst in life for what she did to those kids. I can't imagine if that was a family member that she railroaded.

Mark my words... Let Fox News run a story on this and trump will tweet about it, and invite her to join his team at the White House.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My dog would come and sit on my lap and nuzzle my neck as I watched, I guess I was that visibly upset while watching. The worst fucking part is the lack of justice. All the fucking villains not only got off without punishment, they became filthy fucking rich in the process.
Yep. There is no justice in this world. This is why I don't trust the cops and America's justice system. It's all corrupt and broken

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. There is no justice in this world. This is why I don't trust the cops and America's justice system. It's all corrupt and broken

I read earlier today that the State of New York still denies any wrong doing. Officially, their guilty verdicts were "justified" according to the state.

Sick fucking parallel to how they wouldn't even begin to listen to Korey's parole hearings until he'd admit he committed those crimes. Not to be insulting with this comparison, but it reminded me of the "there are four lights" scene in Star Trek, a form of psychological torture and, ultimately gaslighting. Those kids were so incredibly strong, I have to believe that I'd eventually have cracked and told them what they wanted to hear in exchange for even a chance at freedom. But none of those guys ever, ever admitted they had done those crimes, outside of their beaten confessions that got them into trouble originally.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read earlier today that the State of New York still denies any wrong doing. Officially, their guilty verdicts were "justified" according to the state.

Sick fucking parallel to how they wouldn't even begin to listen to Korey's parole hearings until he'd admit he committed those crimes. Not to be insulting with this comparison, but it reminded me of the "there are four lights" scene in Star Trek, a form of psychological torture and, ultimately gaslighting. Those kids were so incredibly strong, I have to believe that I'd eventually have cracked and told them what they wanted to hear in exchange for even a chance at freedom. But none of those guys ever, ever admitted they had done those crimes, outside of their beaten confessions that got them into trouble originally.
Those kids went through hell and came out better people than fuckstein

Last edited:

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it is sad that what you need in america to get justice is making a fucking tv show or movie or documentary

this is good, nevertheless

I will put myself on blast and admit I didn't even know about this until two days ago. I was 5 at the time this happened, now being aware of it both me and my wife have been livid and this is the first time we can only watch one episode at a time (now on 3) of a show. I won't even try and put it into words, it's simply horrible and a real stain on our justice system and proof that there are truly evil people walking among us.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
While she is one of the people to blame for this miscarriage of justice, I feel like that whole NYPD has had to have a deep looking into.

It wasn't until a few years ago that they would do stop and frisk specifically targeting black and brown people.

We can cast one person as a villain, but the whole system is rotten.

I feel like they could have put Trump on blast way more, because of how ridiculous and absolutely vile his stance was and how much money he put into the ads to persecute young kids.

I will put myself on blast and admit I didn't even know about this until two days ago. I was 5 at the time this happened, now being aware of it both me and my wife have been livid and this is the first time we can only watch one episode at a time (now on 3) of a show. I won't even try and put it into words, it's simply horrible and a real stain on our justice system and proof that there are truly evil people walking among us.
I learned about this in college in a Liberal Studies or Sociology course under the framework of rape, race, and policing. I fucking fell in love with Sociology so much more after that.

However, it's still fucking tragic how people at the margins always get fucked over.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prosecutors wield way too much power in this country, and this story is a perfect example of what horrible things can result from that. These boys had their lives stolen because of the racism, malice, and ineptitude of the NYPD (a well-documented virulently racist institution) and a prosecutor politically motivated and unconcerned with the actual pursuit of truth and justice. Prosecutors can straight up ruin the lives of people with hardly any oversight of their practices or behavior. One of the most shameful aspects of our justice system by far is that prosecutors like this woman can get away with ruining people's lives and completely undermine the pursuit of justice and fairness. Prosecutors across this country have literally ruined communities.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This fucking piece of shit...

I love her coded language, referring to them as a "pack." Not a "group". But a "pack," like animals. It's the subtle wording that gives away people's true mindsets, and another example of the way bigots and racists subconsciously dehumanize minorities, especially black people. It's really fucking gross.

Glad she resigned. She's still well off and I doubt this hurts her too much, but it's better than nothing. Those boys got it so much worse, largely due to her and other racist's actions, but I'll take what little comeuppance she gets in the short term. I hope she's forever remembered as that racist DA who helped put five innocent teenagers behind bars for a large chunk of their youth.

I think about the things I've done in my life from age 15-25, and it breaks my heart for those men. The things I was able to enjoy and experience and learn from. The people I met. The friends I made. Relationships I found. I'd have never gotten that had I been locked up jail. It's infuriating to think about what these men were robbed of by a corrupt, racist, deplorable judicial system and generational smearing campaign racists have waged against black America, to the point where racism and bigoted views against us are ingrained in our society like muscle fibers. Systemic and institutional racism is the backbone of this country. Disgusting.

I don't expect Fairstein to get much more comeuppance than this, but at least it's something.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love her coded language, referring to them as a "pack." Not a "group". But a "pack," like animals. It's the subtle wording that gives away people's true mindsets, and another example of the way bigots and racists subconsciously dehumanize minorities, especially black people. It's really fucking gross.

I watched the Ken Burns documentary after watching this series, and it's really worth watching because they concentrate on different things. This series goes really deep into the way the police beat confessions out of these kids and the trial and the hell the kids went through in jail, while the Ken Burns series really focuses more on the trial of public opinion and how the media was 100% as culpable in what happened to these kids. They briefly touch upon how big of a media circus this was in the netflix series, but the Ken Burns series makes it seem like a media circus on par with, say, OJ Simpson. They have these clips with then-mayor Ed Koch going on record saying that it was a shame that we had to use terms like "Alleged" and "suspects" because everyone knew they were guilty, and talking about how the trial itself was a test to see if the court systems worked (with the implication being that if they weren't found guilty, people should riot).

Anywho, before the kids were called "The central park five," the media called them "the wolfpack." Literally the term for a group of animals. The media was relentless in how they demonized the kids. For example, it's protocol that for suspects under the age of 15, newspapers aren't supposed to print their names. But literally every media outlet ignored that rule for this case, and published their names fully, while hiding the name of the victim. The media not only published the names of these kids, but they basically doxxed them - publishing their names, their pictures, their addresses, the names and pictures of their parents and brothers and sisters, etc. Again, this is extremely against the rules when the case involves minors.

The worst of it all, that the ken burns documentary highlights, is the drastically different response between the coverage of the trial, and the coverage of their exoneration. When they were """"guilty"""" before the trial, it was relentless, near 24/7 coverage of them, "the trial of the century." When the DA found that the sock didn't have DNA that matched, they literally couldn't admit defeat, because this was a country-wide trial now. Everybody in the nation was watching. But when they were free? Not even a fraction of the coverage. Just small blurbs in 3 paragraph articles buried deep within the papers. No front page news. No round the clock coverage. It was hush hush. In fact, the furvor over this netflix series is the biggest public outcry so far, the most indepth coverage of what happened since they were released, and that's a fucking shame. And even more so -- the series isn't getting 1/1000th the attention it deserves. This should be an event that destroys our confidence in our justice system for good, something that should cause riots. ESPECIALLY with all the blue lives matter bullshit. Instead, nobody is paying attention. Again.

I think about the things I've done in my life from age 15-25, and it breaks my heart for those men. The things I was able to enjoy and experience and learn from. The people I met. The friends I made. Relationships I found. I'd have never gotten that had I been locked up jail. It's infuriating to think about what these men were robbed of by a corrupt, racist, deplorable judicial system and generational smearing campaign racists have waged against black America, to the point where racism and bigoted views against us are ingrained in our society like muscle fibers. Systemic and institutional racism is the backbone of this country. Disgusting.

The hispanic individual, Raymond, mentions this in the ken burns documentary. He says he's in his mid 30's, at a time when he should have a career, a wife, kids, and should be moving onto the second stage of his life, but he missed all his milestones in prison, and thus he's stuck. He never advances, he says he's still who he was emotionally at 14. He said he misses the most his relationship with his dad. It's not that they don't get along, but he says from age 14 onward till you become a man, that's when your father imparts morals and values onto you and molds you into an individual, and he didn't get that. He was shaped by the system. He said the saddest thing is that when he has a problem in life, he doesn't go to his father and ask "how do I get through this, how do I grow?" But rather he goes into fight or flight mode and thinks back to how he survived prison.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I know I'm a bit late to seeing this given it came out on the 31st, but I'm shocked at how little discussion this series is getting here on era. I can't stop thinking about it. I used to say I thought season 4 of the wire was the most depressing depiction of youth and the criminal justice system I'd ever see, but When They See Us broke me way harder. It's been a full day since I watched it and I still feel like I watch punched in the gut. Those poor, poor kids.

Speaking for myself, I wanted to watch the whole thing before giving my thoughts but the first episode just obliterated me. I will go back and finish it but this is a very hard series to go through.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking for myself, I wanted to watch the whole thing before giving my thoughts but the first episode just obliterated me. I will go back and finish it but this is a very hard series to go through.

I had to take a break and go for a walk between a couple of the episodes. There were some parts that made me furious. Luckily, in terms of tone, episode 3 is a respite, because a good portion of the episode takes place after they were released when they are back at home trying to live normal lives. And while that episode still has a lot to make you mad about, it's of a noticeably lighter tone. But then again, episode 4 immediately after takes you right back down to the bottom of humanity.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I watched the Ken Burns documentary after watching this series, and it's really worth watching because they concentrate on different things. This series goes really deep into the way the police beat confessions out of these kids and the trial and the hell the kids went through in jail, while the Ken Burns series really focuses more on the trial of public opinion and how the media was 100% as culpable in what happened to these kids. They briefly touch upon how big of a media circus this was in the netflix series, but the Ken Burns series makes it seem like a media circus on par with, say, OJ Simpson. They have these clips with then-mayor Ed Koch going on record saying that it was a shame that we had to use terms like "Alleged" and "suspects" because everyone knew they were guilty, and talking about how the trial itself was a test to see if the court systems worked (with the implication being that if they weren't found guilty, people should riot).

Anywho, before the kids were called "The central park five," the media called them "the wolfpack." Literally the term for a group of animals. The media was relentless in how they demonized the kids. For example, it's protocol that for suspects under the age of 15, newspapers aren't supposed to print their names. But literally every media outlet ignored that rule for this case, and published their names fully, while hiding the name of the victim. The media not only published the names of these kids, but they basically doxxed them - publishing their names, their pictures, their addresses, the names and pictures of their parents and brothers and sisters, etc. Again, this is extremely against the rules when the case involves minors.

The worst of it all, that the ken burns documentary highlights, is the drastically different response between the coverage of the trial, and the coverage of their exoneration. When they were """"guilty"""" before the trial, it was relentless, near 24/7 coverage of them, "the trial of the century." When the DA found that the sock didn't have DNA that matched, they literally couldn't admit defeat, because this was a country-wide trial now. Everybody in the nation was watching. But when they were free? Not even a fraction of the coverage. Just small blurbs in 3 paragraph articles buried deep within the papers. No front page news. No round the clock coverage. It was hush hush. In fact, the furvor over this netflix series is the biggest public outcry so far, the most indepth coverage of what happened since they were released, and that's a fucking shame. And even more so -- the series isn't getting 1/1000th the attention it deserves. This should be an event that destroys our confidence in our justice system for good, something that should cause riots. ESPECIALLY with all the blue lives matter bullshit. Instead, nobody is paying attention. Again.

Im old enough to remember the coverage. It was when in school they expected you to bring in newspaper clips/write reports on the news in elementary school as a gateway to civics.

It was relentless. What haunts me in hindsight was how the story originally focused on the teens singing, "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc to show how psychopathic they were (they almost killed her and its a joke to them!). I remember op eds using it as a jump off to attack rap music (once again).

When in reality its a bunch of teenagers singing a popular song because, why not? This is crazy and we didn't do anything so might as well be cool and have fun/dont take it seriously.

Insane.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Started it last night. I had to stop halfway through when they started the interrogations. Infuriating. I hope she suffers.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im old enough to remember the coverage. It was when in school they expected you to bring in newspaper clips/write reports on the news in elementary school as a gateway to civics.

It was relentless. What haunts me in hindsight was how the story originally focused on the teens singing, "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc to show how psychopathic they were (they almost killed her and its a joke to them!). I remember op eds using it as a jump off to attack rap music (once again).

When in reality its a bunch of teenagers singing a popular song because, why not? This is crazy and we didn't do anything so might as well be cool and have fun/dont take it seriously.

Insane.

I was too little to remember the trail, but I was definitely old enough to follow the news when they were released, and that just sort of highlights how drastically different the coverage was. Because, truthfully, the very first time I had ever heard of the central park 5 to a degree that I actually looked up what it was all about, was when Trump brought it back up in 2016. Like, I watched the news in 2002, and I didn't hear a peep about any of this shit.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

They have to deny wrongdoing if they settle. Otherwise this gives the CP5 grounds for further damages...

As for the CP5, didn't they confess to the rape to said prosecutor? (I haven't had time to read much about the details of the case)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have to deny wrongdoing if they settle. Otherwise this gives the CP5 grounds for further damages...

As for the CP5, didn't they confess to the rape to said prosecutor? (I haven't had time to read much about the details of the case)

for fucks sake

even googling their name would tell you what you need to know in 5 minutes.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Confessions obtained through physical beating minors aren't reliable and aren't admissible in court I'm pretty sure. Maybe you should look into things before spouting your mouth off about them.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I can't make it through the first damn episode. When Michael Williams' character is telling his son that the boy needs to do what the cops say and lie, because he doesn't want to risk losing his job because he did time and his job didn't know? And his boy is looking up to him to help him out of that horrible mess...

....it's brutal. And the fact that I know that it's all based on a sadly true story? I can't. I should. But I can't.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was asking an honest question. No need to be rude about it.

I'll research the details of the case when I have more time.
Yeah. For future reference, do some research before stating something so profoundly stupid. There's a reason why you're being dog piled. I mean, the whole point of this thread was the focus on a piece of shit human stain that forced false confessions upon 5 innocent kids.
If you had time to post something so damn dumb, you have time to do some research especially since you somehow know this part:

"They have to deny wrongdoing if they settle. Otherwise this gives the CP5 grounds for further damages..."

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Hey guys I know nothing about this case, but the state of new york was right to deny any wrong doing, and besides isn't it STRANGE that these guys confessed if they were innocent btw I'm just asking questions"

"jeeze, why you so mad, no need to be rude, I'll """""look into it""""" at some later unspecified date"

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Hey guys I know nothing about this case, but the state of new york was right to deny any wrong doing, and besides isn't it STRANGE that these guys confessed if they were innocent btw I'm just asking questions"

"jeeze, why you so mad, no need to be rude, I'll """""look into it""""" at some later unspecified date"
Those kids shouldn't have been in the park in the first place. They knew what they were doing.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yep deserves what is getting, she destroyed lifes for no reason but to close a mediatic case and self promotion.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
She still thinks they're guilty huh.

Fuck her. Half surprised she didn't angle for a position in Trump's cabinet with a view like that.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, I can't make it through the first damn episode. When Michael Williams' character is telling his son that the boy needs to do what the cops say and lie, because he doesn't want to risk losing his job because he did time and his job didn't know? And his boy is looking up to him to help him out of that horrible mess...

....it's brutal. And the fact that I know that it's all based on a sadly true story? I can't. I should. But I can't.

The NYPD destroyed that family. The Ken Burns documentary goes into more detail, that dad was his son's hero. His son grew up idolizing his father. You see the story of the relationship between him and his dad over the course of the first 3 episodes just wither away in a super heartbreaking way.

In the Ken Burns documentary, the kid, now a man, says he struggles even today with how to view his father. On some days he remembers him as his hero and loves him again, but other times he remembers how the father basically doomed him, how his father left his mother during the trial, how his father basically drank himself to death afterwards, and he hates him. But, he also realizes that his dad went to prison as well, and was doing what he thought was right to try and protect his son, even if it was the wrong advice in the end. They don't talk about it enough in the netflix series, but he had reformed pretty hard and spent his son's youth basically drilling into him how to avoid problems with the police, because he was determined to not let his son wind up like he did. That's what makes it all so much more tragic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She still thinks they're guilty huh.

Fuck her. Half surprised she didn't angle for a position in Trump's cabinet with a view like that.

She and the NYPD both believe they are guilty. She paid to commission "The armstrong report," a report about the NYPD, from the NYPD, which concluded:

The panel disputed Reyes's claim that he alone had raped the jogger.[39][64][65] It insisted there was "nothing but his uncorroborated word" that he acted alone.[64] Armstrong said the panel believed "the word of a serial rapist killer is not something to be heavily relied upon."[64] The report concluded that the five men whose convictions had been vacated had "most likely" participated in the beating and rape of the jogger and that the "most likely scenario" was that "both the defendants and Reyes assaulted her, perhaps successively."[39][64] The report said Reyes had most likely "either joined in the attack as it was ending or waited until the defendants had moved on to their next victims before descending upon her himself, raping her and inflicting upon her the brutal injuries that almost caused her death."[39][64]

As to the five defendants, the report said:
We believe the inconsistencies contained in the various statements were not such as to destroy their reliability. On the other hand, there was a general consistency that ran through the defendants' descriptions of the attack on the female jogger: she was knocked down on the road, dragged into the woods, hit and molested by several defendants, sexually abused by some while others held her arms and legs, and left semiconscious in a state of undress.[64][65]

"It seems impossible to say that they weren't there at all, because they knew too much," Armstrong said in an interview.[68]

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NYPD destroyed that family. The Ken Burns documentary goes into more detail, that dad was his son's hero. His son grew up idolizing his father. You see the story of the relationship between him and his dad over the course of the first 3 episodes just wither away in a super heartbreaking way.

In the Ken Burns documentary, the kid, now a man, says he struggles even today with how to view his father. On some days he remembers him as his hero and loves him again, but other times he remembers how the father basically doomed him, how his father left his mother during the trial, how his father basically drank himself to death afterwards, and he hates him. But, he also realizes that his dad went to prison as well, and was doing what he thought was right to try and protect his son, even if it was the wrong advice in the end. They don't talk about it enough in the netflix series, but he had reformed pretty hard and spent his son's youth basically drilling into him how to avoid problems with the police, because he was determined to not let his son wind up like he did. That's what makes it all so much more tragic.

Yup. I know I won't be able to handle that. I'll watch it at night after my girl goes to bed, so she won't have to see her man heave crying.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was asking an honest question. No need to be rude about it.

I'll research the details of the case when I have more time.
Come on now, you pulled the "I don't know anything about this, but didn't they confess?" crap, which shows that 1. you clearly know SOMETHING about the case or else you wouldnt know that they confessed, and 2. responded to a post detailing the abuses these boys suffered in a way that is specifically meant to undermine the post you were responding too. I'm not sure what kind of response you were expecting, frankly.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Inappropriate language; previous infraction
She and the NYPD both believe they are guilty. She paid to commission "The armstrong report," a report about the NYPD, from the NYPD, which concluded:

Thats completly autistic and factlesss, poor job from a police that brags about being one of the best, fuck off

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Repeatedly dismissing concerns surrounding racism
Yeah. For future reference, do some research before stating something so profoundly stupid. There's a reason why you're being dog piled. I mean, the whole point of this thread was the focus on a piece of shit human stain that forced false confessions upon 5 innocent kids.
If you had time to post something so damn dumb, you have time to do some research especially since you somehow know this part:

"They have to deny wrongdoing if they settle. Otherwise this gives the CP5 grounds for further damages..."

Calm down, and stop hurling insults at me. Besides, what I said before is very basic legal knowledge. If you settle, you want something to go away. Saying, "hey oh BTW we totally fucked up" would be totally counterproductive. Nothing to do with knowing details about the case.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calm down, and stop hurling insults at me. Besides, what I said before is very basic legal knowledge. If you settle, you want something to go away. Saying, "hey oh BTW we totally fucked up" would be totally counterproductive. Nothing to do with knowing details about the case.

yes, heaven forbid NYC admit to reality lest they lose some money. Wouldn't want to hurt the city's pocket books, let's keep the important stuff in perspective here.

You don't even know the fucking circumstances regarding the settlement. The mayor who settled did so because there was a decade of public outcry calling for NYC to admit wrong doing. He campaigned on "making it right" for the central park five. It was a core part of his election campaign.

De Blasio Defends Central Park Five Settlement As 'Moral Obligation'

"An injustice was done and we have a moral obligation to respond to that injustice,"

"And I think the moral issue is quite clear and obviously was made clear by the court decisions in recent years," he added.

you saying it's counterproductive towards a city's "moral obligation to respond to injustice" to acknowledge that an injustice even occurred, because it's not cheap? Fucking WHAT?

Last edited:

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
yes, heaven forbid NYC admit to reality lest they lose some money. Wouldn't want to hurt the city's pocket books, let's keep the important stuff in perspective here.

you saying it's counterproductive towards a city's "moral obligation to respond to injustice" to acknowledge that an injustice even occurred, because it's not cheap? Fucking WHAT?

It's not counterproductive from a moral standpoint. It is so from a legal liability management standpoint, especially for a city as cash strapped as NYC.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's not counterproductive from a moral standpoint. It is so from a legal liability management standpoint, especially for a city as cash strapped as NYC.
You are dehumanizing the folks involved. "The NYC wouldn't be able to afford it, so fuck them kids", never going to be a good look

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
they SHOULD be legally liable, they fucking did it!

To be clear, I read a bit into the case and sounds like they only sued for damages (civil lawsuit)? Bloomberg didn't want to settle as he thought the city stood a good chance of winning, but De Blasio obviously had a different approach.

You are dehumanizing the folks involved. "The NYC wouldn't be able to afford it, so fuck them kids", never going to be a good look

That's not what I am saying. I am merely saying it's in the city's best interests to fight this claim as hard as possible given the potentially steep financial penalties, hence why Bloomberg never settled. The city can barely stay afloat despite the vast amount of wealth it hosts. I am happy they somewhat got justice in the end.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On top of that, a repeated refrain in both the netflix series and the documentary, is how the state kept trying to force these dudes to admit their guilt in order to continue to freedom. Like, when Korey goes to all his parole hearings, they keep noting he's been on good behavior, but he keeps being hung up on one question: "are you ready to acknowledge your crimes and admit your guilt?" He keeps saying no, and they say something to the affect of, "it is the opinion of the state that remorse cannot be shown until an admission of wrong doing occurs first, denied." They do the same to the other boys too, when they force them to go to meetings after being released from jail, and can't "pass" until they admit their guilt for the same reason.

Hypocritical as fuck on behalf of the state.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, I read a bit into the case and sounds like they only sued for damages (civil lawsuit)?

what else can they sue for?

That's not what I am saying. I am merely saying it's in the city's best interests to fight this claim as hard as possible given the potentially steep financial penalties, hence why Bloomberg never settled.

"That's not what I'm saying. *says the exact same thing*"

The city's best interest is to do right by its citizens. The people make up the city, their business drives it, the role of government is to serve the population. The city owes its citizens an apology, and it's impossible to apologize when you refuse to admit wrong doing. If it hurts financially, maybe that should be a great incentive to not fuck up like this ever again.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
On top of that, a repeated refrain in both the netflix series and the documentary, is how the state kept trying to force these dudes to admit their guilt in order to continue to freedom. Like, when Korey goes to all his parole hearings, they keep noting he's been on good behavior, but he keeps being hung up on one question: "are you ready to acknowledge your crimes and admit your guilt?" He keeps saying no, and they say something to the affect of, "it is the opinion of the state that remorse cannot be shown until an admission of wrong doing occurs first, denied." They do the same to the other boys too, when they force them to go to meetings after being released from jail, and can't "pass" until they admit their guilt for the same reason.

Hypocritical as fuck on behalf of the state.

Just to note this is standard practice in probation hearings all across the world. Its horrific what happened to these men, and an abuse of power and racism that should be punished. But putting a requirement to admit a prisoner did a crime happens to basically all prisoners during their parole hearings and then when released on license with their probation officer.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to note this is standard practice in probation hearings all across the world. Its horrific what happened to these men, and an abuse of power and racism that should be punished. But putting a requirement to admit a prisoner did a crime happens to basically all prisoners during their parole hearings and then when released on license with their probation officer.

I know, they explain that in the series. I'm saying it should go both ways. And boo hoo if the consequences are hard on the city.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The saddest part is how broken the jury system is. It's so fucking inconsistent in high profile cases. Its never about justice, it's a big game of who can manipulate them the most.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Now how long until people realize this was the first hugely public example of Donald Trump's racism? He STILL claims they are still guilty despite DNA evidence proving the opposite.

I have no doubts that he's not the only one who thinks this. There is very likely a large group of people who followed this back in the 90s that still think they are guilty and will go their graves thinking so.

Coercion isn't something they think is possible because they can't ever see themselves in a situation where the police would beat and starve them to extract a false confession.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Now how long until people realize this was the first hugely public example of Donald Trump's racism? He STILL claims they are still guilty despite DNA evidence proving the opposite.

Not only that he wanted these guys killed. Literally fought for the reinstatement of the death penalty:
He paid a reported $85,000 to take out advertising space in four of the city's newspapers, including the New York Times. Under the headline "Bring Back The Death Penalty. Bring Back Our Police!" and above his signature, Trump wrote: "I want to hate these muggers and murderers. They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes. They must serve as examples so that others will think long and hard before committing a crime or an act of violence."

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Her response is about mob mentality and how she's being a victim. It terrifies me how many other lives she's ruined with her bias and incompetance. What a stupid fucking piece of shit.

I'd like to cancel at least ten more people in regards to this.