• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Planning to have one under the tree this Christmas, but I'm debating when to actually buy it. I'm wondering if folks anticipate good deals as we near the holidays -- bundles, Black Friday deals, etc. -- or if you anticipate shortages? Is it too early in the system's life to expect much savings? Don't want to end up finding myself unable to purchase one come time.

Oct 27, 2017
You cant go wrong with Black Friday - I cant really see there being substantial shortages since Nintendo's forecasts are already huge so they must have the preparations in place to meet the inevitable huge demand.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If you want one i wouldn't wait until the holidays, it's going to be in very strong demand and i don't think the $50 you might save is going to be worth the hassle of driving to multiple stores or constantly refreshing different online stores.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If you want one i wouldn't wait until the holidays, it's going to be in very strong demand and i don't think the $50 you might save is going to be worth the hassle of driving to multiple stores or constantly refreshing different online stores.

This. There are so many good games out now that if you feel like playing those now, you should just go for it.

OP
OP
GeekyDad

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
This. There are so many good games out now that if you feel like playing those now, you should just go for it.

Hmm...well, it's definitely gonna be wrapped and under the tree, so don't plan on playing it until Christmas day. But I think the replies are making me even more uncertain now. A Smash bundle sounds great, as Smash is the big selling point for me. That being said, it's really not that big a deal, I guess, since I can still just buy them separately, guaranteeing myself a system.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hmm...well, it's definitely gonna be wrapped and under the tree, so don't plan on playing it until Christmas day. But I think the replies are making me even more uncertain now. A Smash bundle sounds great, as Smash is the big selling point for me. That being said, it's really not that big a deal, I guess, since I can still just buy them separately, guaranteeing myself a system.

Oh if you definitely won't be using til then you could wait, but if you just want to lock a system down I agree that a calmer time like now is perfect. Peace of mind and all that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You can always say '' I'll wait a little longer until X ''

Buy it when it seems best to you and that's it, do not delay it

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the same boat as you OP. I'll wait until Black Friday or Christmas since I'm not in a hurry and my economy isn't the best at the moment.
I don't expect great deals in those dates since I live in Argentina but still.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I think it depends on if you want an grey / bluered unit or a special edition unit. I'm betting that a Metroid or Pokemon (more likely 2019) will get there own limited edition units.

You'll probably find a good deal around Black Friday, but probably only $20/30 dollars off MSRP.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm having this debate right now.

Fire Emblem bundle would be ideal since it's the main reason I'm buying a Switch (still have my Awakening 3DS) but that franchise in particular is notoriously difficult when it comes to limited quantities of something.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm planning on getting a switch in the mid to long term

I held out on getting a PS4 for years and was rewarded by waiting as the Pro came out so I got that

I now feel inclined to wait on the Switch in case we get a revision as well, or at least a price drop

If I got a PS4 and months later the Pro was revealed, I'd have been pretty mad so yeah, that's holding me back from getting a Switch in the short term

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I really want to buy it to play Zelda, Mario tennis, and octopath. But after that I have no idea what to play. I like fire emblem, but have no idea when it will come to switch. Also DQ is delayed.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Right now is pretty good! Great games, not a massive backlog. but you know nintendo, soon or later there will be a revised version or something like this, so whenever you buy it there will be another one after.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't advise waiting till Black Friday. Yes, it will probably save you $50 or so if you do, but it's probably going to be sold out, and securing one might be stressful.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
3 games are out that you really want

3 games are coming that you really want

That's always the time to buy a console, unless you can't swallow its current price.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting for an Animal Crossing bundle like the New Leaf bundle that got me to upgrade to the 3DS. If an Animal Crossing isn't announced at E3 which I don't expect it to be — I will buy a regular Switch and trade it in next year for the bundle.

OP
OP
GeekyDad

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yeah, I think we'll just go ahead and buy one now (ish). Will probably wait until a few days after E3 just to confirm what's new, but yeah, $50 or so ain't worth the money if I risk the chance of not being able to secure one. Though my kids are all now in college, Smash is still a big family thing for us when the come home. And though I fully anticipate at least one or two revisions of the system from Nintendo (the main reason I wanna wait until after their E3 thing), we definitely want to be able to play Smash asap. Plus, Nintendo usually does their system revision later in the life of their systems. Not too worried about that aspect.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Personally I think there will be some kind of bundle deal(s) on Black Friday and possibly Christmas, possibly with Pokemon. But I could be wrong.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, there were bundles last year, but it wasn't discounted versus buying the game and system separately. With Smash and Pokemon being the primary hardware pushers this year, I would expect this to change this year.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You definitely don't need to buy it now, it's not *that* hard to get. If you wait for Black Friday you'll get some good deals on game prices, and Nintendo likes to offer a bundle or release a special limited-edition device that day, but that might be pushing it as the Switch is likely to be a hot item this Christmas and Nintendo has a history of not manufacturing enough even when they think they are ready. I would first wait for Nintendo's E3 announcements, but personally I think you could get away with waiting until like October to buy one. You aren't going to see any console price drops in that time, though (unless one is announced at E3).

If you want to take a small risk, buy one just under 30 days from Black Friday, that way if something special happens on Black Friday, you can return the one you bought.

OP
OP
GeekyDad

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
You definitely don't need to buy it now, it's not *that* hard to get. If you wait for Black Friday you'll get some good deals on game prices, and Nintendo likes to offer a bundle or release a special limited-edition device that day, but that might be pushing it as the Switch is likely to be a hot item this Christmas and Nintendo has a history of not manufacturing enough even when they think they are ready. I would first wait for Nintendo's E3 announcements, but personally I think you could get away with waiting until like October to buy one. You aren't going to see any console price drops in that time, though (unless one is announced at E3).

If you want to take a small risk, buy one just under 30 days from Black Friday, that way if something special happens on Black Friday, you can return the one you bought.

Hmm...well, $50 is, of course, nothing to squabble at for most of us, but it's not the main concern. I guess a Smash bundle would be cool, but I don't expect that to release (if there is one) until likely November-ish, don'tcha think?

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they do a hardware revision and a price drop. At least that's when I'll get one. I've played about with some Switch units and hardware wise I'm not impressed. Feels cheap and flimsy.

If you are happy with the games that are out then just go for it. Right now for me I'd only play Mario/Zelda so dropping £360 for 2 games makes no sense. The only future games I'm interested in would be the 2019 Pokémon game + SMTV so yeah I can wait for a price drop/hardware revision.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo will be doing any deal for Black Friday. Holidays bundles, though...

I'm expecting a Switch+Zelda Breath of the Wild Complete Edition bundle for Christmas. Or a Smash Bros one.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...well, $50 is, of course, nothing to squabble at for most of us, but it's not the main concern. I guess a Smash bundle would be cool, but I don't expect that to release (if there is one) until likely November-ish, don'tcha think?
I would expect a Pokemon Let's Go bundle, but not a Smash bundle. And it won't be any cheaper than buying the games/system individually, you might just get a Switch with Pokemon decorations though.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait until Black Friday. I bought mine for $299 and 2 weeks later it was at $199 during some shit called Cyber Monday or something.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
The best time to buy it was when eBay was dishing out 15%-20% off coupons back in March/April. At this point, I would wait until a pack-in bundle gets announced. Don't see a price drop happening imo.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wouldn't expect to see any significant deals on the console or bundles from Nintendo or major retailers this calendar year. You might see some minor discounts on software at places like Best Buy or Target. Occasionally you will see an eBay one-day sale where everything is 15 or 20% off. That's probably your best bet for a discount on the hardware.