• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
If you see someone else coming down the other side of the hallway, towards you? Do you guys just stare straight ahead (this always seemed weird and awkward as fuck), or do you try to make eye-contact with the individual and perhaps try to smile at them and say hi?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Pretty much this

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed I'll definitely try to do something other than staring ahead like a simpleton if it's someone I find attractive :).

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If it's someone who's not my friend, but I work with them, I give them a "Hey, how's it going?" and continue on my way. If it's a friend, I'll usually stop to chat for a bit unless they're in a hurry.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I march like I'm Patrick McGoohan in the intro to The Prisoner.

Also, the theme tune is playing in my head as I go.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I like to glance at their eyes and determine if they like eye contact. When they get close I give them a small smile or even a hello if they're amenable.

From my time gathering information on human social interactions, I believe it to be the preferred human behavior for passing casual interactions. Of course, humans are strange and I am never completely sure. Please feel free to upload your own findings or even overwrite mine if you have logical/algorithmic proofs to the contrary. I'm sure we could collaborate on further human behavior analysis from there.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
In high school it was the intentional shoulder bump with your own shoulder. Then turn around and say "What, you want to start shit?"

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I like to glance at their eyes and determine if they like eye contact. When they get close I give them a small smile or even a hello if they're amenable.

From my time gathering information on human social interactions, I believe it to be the preferred human behavior for passing casual interactions. Of course, humans are strange and I am never completely sure. Please feel free to upload your own findings or even overwrite mine if you have logical/algorithmic proofs to the contrary. I'm sure we could collaborate on further human behavior analysis from there.

Excellent--merging your findings with my report!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna say hello to everybody I see as that would odd imo so I just take my phone out and pretend to look at it.
Different if I know them properly of course.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a woman I'll nod and say hello, if it's a guy I'll stare him down, then nod and say hello.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I give them eye contact and depending on if I'm busy or not, I'll give them a hey and a smile or initiate a quick hey, how you going and a small comment on maybe some recent work.

I work in a role where stakeholder management is key so its essential I have good relationships and communicate with mostly everyone.

Also depends if I like the person. I only dislike a few. Those people I'll just stare straight ahead and not acknowledge. They also dislike me so they do the same haha. Its a mutual thing.

I'm not gonna say hello to everybody I see as that would odd imo so I just take my phone out and pretend to look at it.
Different if I know them properly of course.

Just so you know, we all think you're the weird person who pretends to look at your phone to avoid interaction...

Oct 27, 2017
I used to stare directly into there eyes and see if they would move when I was around 19. I found it extremely funny how people would always dip out of the way. Now I just usually check my phone so I don't have to deal with people

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I look in the general direction of the person when we're close to passing, if we make eye contact then I give the ole nod and smile, maybe say hello or good morning. Don't care if that happens or not. I'm not a social butterfly or anything, seems like the normal thing to do since it's reciprocated more often than not.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the other person and what they are doing as well as how busy I am.

Normally, I would probably nod/say hi.

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Responses in this thread have been pretty interesting. While the premise of the thread might be lulzy and uninspired, I actually find the simple act of just walking down a hall to be pretty entertaining and illuminating—largely because I've pretty much encountered every single type of behavior mentioned in here.
I can respect people not wanting to engage with anybody in such an environment. What kinda miffs me though is the ones you do lock eyes with and smile to, who clearly saw you smile and say hello...but seem to project an air of either being better than you, or too good to respond back. Or, they'll have a face about them like they just heard of a death in their family. Smile, damnit!

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Even more awkward for me is when it is a good friend that I just got finished having a conversation with and now we are passing in the hall. Both of us feel obligated to say or do something but a small head nod/polite hello feels weird given our recently concluded conversation. I usually end up doing the point or some goofy hello like "wassup". It's bad.