• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I swear, 9 times out of 10 this is the case in film, TV, what have you kind of media that whenever there is rain, thunder and lightning must come with. Now, I don't know about you folks, but I do live in a fairly wet region, and rarely does the rain come with the aforementioned phenomena, but I turn on a movie, see a scene that has rain in it, and yet we're meant to believe that a light drizzle comes with the sounds of a thunderstorm. Doesn't matter if it's important to the scene or not, because apparently there must be some unwritten rule that it has to always occur, even if the mood would be better if it was just a light bit of precipitation. But maybe it's just me being pedantic, so what do you think? Did you ever notice it yourself and how it reflects about how rain works in reality?

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Hollywood has this idea that you can't have rain without going slightly overboard and throwing in some thunder and some rain even though it's a super light drizzle. I know there's several examples of this not happening but I can't name any right now.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
When am I going to get my hyper lightning storm disaster movie?

Thousands of lightning strikes per minute. Shit getting annihilated in all directions unpredictably. Make Twister look like a slow moving wall of boring by comparison.

Spoiler. Everyone dies in the end.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
snoopy-it-was-a-dark-and-stormy-night.jpg

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
It most likely stemmed from stage plays as a simple way to convey to an audience that it was storming outside or about to storm since you can't easily replicate rain on a stage. Then when film came around a lot of the tropes of the stage carried over.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
It most likely stemmed from stage plays as a simple way to convey to an audience that it was storming outside or about to storm since you can't easily replicate rain on a stage. Then when film came around a lot of the tropes of the stage carried over.
Radio dramas too, but I had hoped we would have moved passed that for the present day.

Can't remember the last time I've seen rain IRL without lightning and thunders.
Where abouts are ye from? Probably has a lot to do with it.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I love how rain in films is super exaggerated, like it's always a fucking monsoon with big fat rain drops. But if you watch a baseball game in a rain delay on TV, you can barely make out the raindrops.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For the same reason movies with hurricanes have thunder and lightning. Filmmakers don't do any basic research about weather.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I lived most of my life until about 3 years ago in ND and every time it rained, there was thunder and lightning. It was only after moving to Belgium that I realized that this is not just how rain operates. It was so weird to me.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
36 replies and no one points out it's not true? Unless OP only watches horror movies, more often than not when there is rain in a movie, there is no thunder or lightning.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
the sound of thunder is easier to make register with a viewer than rain on its own when you're talking about the restricted fidelity of early sound equipment.

that or lazy devs

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thunder/lightning will more commonly accompany rain in different parts of the world.

But the reason is that it's just more dramatic and moody that way.
Everything in film is like this. Like the sound all guns make in movies, and how rats are constantly squeaking.

Rats don't do that, guys. They're quiet.

Thunder/lightning will more commonly accompany rain in different parts of the world.

But the reason is that it's just more dramatic and moody that way.
Everything in film is like this. Like the sound all guns make in movies, and how rats are constantly squeaking.

Rats don't do that, guys. They're quiet.
The rats that live in my attic definitely squeak a lot.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cares unless you're a rain wizard.

Can't remember if it was Hitchhikers or not, but I always loved the metastory in a Douglas Damas novel about a miserable truck driver who didn't realize he was a rain god. Drove around his whole life in every kind of shitty rain, ceaslessly drizzling, pounding, lashing, misting, torrential, treacherous, tropical, flash floody, saoking, pelting, OH MY GOD I JUST REALIZED I'M FROM SCOTLAND AND SEATTLE AND I HAVE MROE RAIN WORDS THAN ESKIMOS ALLEGEDLY HAVE SNOW WORDS. Anyway, that guy could have saved the planet, if only the rains knew how to explain it to him, or a statistician had noticed his anomalous life.

Btw, Seattle actually gets less annual rainfall than NYC, it just comes down more persistently and slowly over a longer, darker, more misery inducing period of months. Seattle also rarely gets any serious wind, snow, fog or lightning. Considering how much energy and water is coming together over the city from the Pacific, lake effect, Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges, it's absolutely bizarre that we're locked in a weirdly stable chaos vortex, like Mr. Burns diseases.

Then in summer everyone runs around in gleeful insanity like when a dog finally scoots a stubborn poop out of its rocket nozzle and proceeds to lose its mind with sheer kinetic joy.

Growing up in Scotland on the East Coast (actually before the climate shifted radically enough to seriously affect snow) I got a pretty excellent collection of everything except nice warm days. We'd get blazing sunshine a couple of days in July or August, with thin ozone guaranteeing that our paper-hued skin would blister like that chick from Prince of Darkness, despite never cracking 65 degrees, and insane Revenant/King Wenceslas snowdrifts, Texas thunderstorms, Jack the Ripper fog events, and four pound razor sharp slate rooftiles slicing through gale force winds like Final Destination props. When we were kids we would go out in Gales with makeshift "parachutes" aka childsmashers.

Seattle though? Long, perfect summers, long days, lakes that warm consistently up to refreshing 70s (night swimming is the trick here, so the relative temp feels warm rather than bracing) and pine and creosote scents as the alpine surroundings dry out on shaded beautiful hikes. Then in October - the sun dies like a druid prophecy and the entire outside world becomes wet and freezing till May.

Oct 29, 2017
There should be an actual answer for "when". We just have to do some research and find when it was popularized originally.

Regardless of whether it always happens, the trend is there, especially in comedy. We just have to find out what are all these modern films parodying.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually believe you that this happens the majority of the time, OP. I think usually rain is just rain in film.