• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario 64 was a wake up call to all developers making 3D games. The challenge was given by Nintendo - I dare you to do better.

BotW did the same for open world games.

It has been over a year, how long do you think it will take for another developer to try to emulate, match, or exceed what Nintendo has done? Will it happen first outside Nintendo or will Nintendo one-up themselves prior to anyone else rising to the challenge?

Are there any current projects that have the potential?

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead 2 is coming soon. Cyber Punk next year....so yes.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Part of what makes BOTW great is how unique it is. I don't think every game should follow the same kind of open-world formula.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Won't take long for this thread to go completely sideways.

Red Dead Redemption drops in exactly one month. That's the next open world video game that I'm feeling as much excitement for as I did for BoTW.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
how long do you think it takes to make a game? give them time after playing BotW to actually be able to use that experience!

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
It won't be all that amazing to make a better BotW. It's not even a top 5 Zelda game for me. It had a lot of glaring problems that have been well documented around here.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
BotW has not trumped Witcher 3 which still has to have someone rise up to it. Seriously BotW is an empty world with nothing to do compared to W3.

IT's a great Zelda game. Bland open world title.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild wasn't even the best open world game upon its own release.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm still waiting for any open-world game to rise to the Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode challenge.

Call me when Zelda lets you wear 6 capes simultaneously and knock a cow's teeth out with a shoe.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thread premise is incorrect, botw didn't remotely have the impact of sm64. Also, lazy dev rhetoric in disguise.

Sep 25, 2018
Zelda breath of the wild is one of the greatest games ever, I feel like a kid again playing nonstop, no other game can give me that same feeling. every other game I play and then I stop, but zelda I was sneaking more time out of the day to play it. I am not a big zelda fan, but if the next game similar, I will join zelda fans and be a fan

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario 64 was a wake up call to all developers making 3D games. The challenge was given by Nintendo - I dare you to do better.

BotW did the same for open world games.

It has been over a year, how long do you think it will take for another developer to try to emulate, match, or exceed what Nintendo has done? Will it happen first outside Nintendo or will Nintendo one-up themselves prior to anyone else rising to the challenge?

Are there any current projects that have the potential?
BOTW wasn't even close to SM64 in revolution to the gaming landscape.
Red Dead won't copy BOTW because it would make it a worse game, I don't even like red dead (not interested in Westerns) but its world looks a lot more interesting than BOTW's.

im looking forwards to how, at least in freedom of exploration, BoTW and Xenoblade X are the top of the pyramid so far
Why is freedom of exploration important?
Why does it matter how many barren mountaintops we can see?

Witcher 3 & Horizon Zero Dawn do better jobs of environmental storytelling and use of open world ecosystem for gameplay. Combat in BotW is too dull, menus too intrusive, and subsystems like cooking too monotonous to be a standard to which ALL other open world game's should strive. RDR2 looks to take exploration and organic discovery a step further, taking the one mantle of open world design that BotW truly can lay claim to right now.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64 did to 3D platformers was set the precedent... control was a huge thing too.

BOTW came in and built on some concepts already in other games. To say it's the same is really over valuing what BOTW did and undercutting how big of a shift Super Mario 64 really was.

That's not to take away from the quality... but there's things done in other open world games that completely clown BOTW.

Oct 25, 2017
It came out a little over a year ago, for devs to learn from it, it'll take a couple years
Breath of the Wild wasn't even the best open world game upon its own release.
It's kind of hard to argue against.

Probably easy for someone to prefer a game that's technically in the same genre, but the open world part BOTW outclassed basically everyone

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I put maybe 1/4 of gameplay time into BOTW than I ever did with Morrowind, New Vegas, Witcher 3, etc etc.

Seriously botw is good, but it doesn't hold an unlit candle to many of the other open world games out there.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead previews made it sound like they're taking kind of a similar approach. Lots of "felt like I was exploring the world instead of just following a mission marker" comments

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm so confused by this... it was only refreshing because Nintendo finally started doing it. also, the game had a lot of faults. It was fun, but nothing earth shattering or innovative

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I always felt like while OoT was clearly influential for 3D game play, it's harder to see how its influential in terms of game design when it comes to stuff like dungeon and puzzle design. Part of me thinks the same thing will happen to BOTW, the big companies will still do the typical open world stuff we have come to expect.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I describe BotW to people like this: When I was a kid playing LttP and you could see hyrule in the background when youre high up in certain areas, my childhood wonder helped me think that that was a real place. in BotW when you see the backdrop you don't need a childhood wonder to pretend that isnt just a 2d image, it's actually all there. and you can just start walking there at any time.

I've never experienced anything like it, truly a new standard in games. generation defining, as impactful to me as the original Legend of Zelda, and the revolutionary OoT. And as with those games BotW truly indicates we are in a new generation of video games.

to answer your question if my above statement is true BotW will be impacting the standard and direction of videogames forever, as its predecessors did.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about 200 different wildlife types, you can't climb trees in RDR 2 checkmate.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm constantly tempted to get BotW on Switch. I beat it on Wii U but I feel like I'd play tons in portable mode.

And I don't think the game will prove all that influential. A lot of what made it awesome is hard to copy.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. I thought BOTW was a horrible game. Not a hot take, but I didn't enjoy my experience with it. Therefore, I don't want other open world games to follow in its footsteps.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all under the assumption that botw is infallible. Really I think there are numerous things botw botw can learn from other games, including those in its own series. I find the premise to be glossing over a lot of things

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is a revolution in game design, especially verticality and giving players the freedom and abilities to do almost anything they want in the game from the starting area. It is absolutely influential and there are several developers saying it is the next game that will be emulated or referenced.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
BOTW is not the best to everyone, but the innovations to game design is what the OP is talking about

Wow are people salty and defensive.

OP means:
nearly completely non linear structure.
Interconnecting physics systems leading to emergent gameplay
Lack of waypoints and markers and instead relying on good world design, landmarks, npc hints, etc.

This is what the OP means.

Witcher 3 better or not didn't do these things
Will RDR2?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
With the lead times for making games that big and the relative difficulty of building a game in that way, I expect a zelda sequel in the same mold to come out before anyone else can catch up.

A lot of people are saying Red Dead 2, but I'm not sure myself what Red Dead 2 is doing that's supposed to top botw. Maybe someone can clue me in.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_nwf4r41sox1rpduwho1_500.gif

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been several open world games better than Breath of the Wild. I think you have it backwards, I think Nintendo needs to look at the polish of a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn and figure out how the next Zelda can incorporate that while maintaining the great traversal and exploration of BotW.

Status
Not open for further replies.