• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Edit:

I am expanding the topic to now include the possibility of all female heroes/superheroes.

Granted given WW's arsenal of abilities, it might be mechanically very difficult to make a game if flying is included. That said, the world of well known women vigilante/heroes and superheroes is vast. Some prime examples:

• Spider-woman/Spider-Gwen (mechanically, the latest spiderman has laid the groundwork).
  • Batwoman and Batgirl (yet again, past WB Batman games provide the mechanical framework)
  • The Black Widow
  • Black Canary
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Cpt. Marvel (This would be difficult to pull off due to flight)

Original Post:

uYICSUg.gif

Will we ever get a standalone game?

So far, the following people have gotten one or more standalone titles to their names:

· Arthur Curry

· Bruce Banner

· Bruce Wayne

· Clark Kent

· Hal Jordan

· James Howlett

· Johnny Blaze

· Matt Murdock

· Peter Parker

· Selina Kyle Patience Phillips

· Steve Rogers

· Thor Odinson

· Tony Stark

· Wayde Wilson

If you notice, there is an unequivocal and overwhelming domination of male superheroes in that list. Given the period in which most of these heroes and superheroes were conceived and their target audience, it is no surprise that most of the biggest names in recent history have been men. First to make an appearance in "All Star" comic #8, in December 1941, Diana was an exception but not without one of most sexist caveats imbued by her creator, William Moulton Marston- She loses her powers if a man is able to put her in chains.

Of course, over the years, the character has had many authors and consequently undergone a variety of changes some for better and others for worse. This video does a good job highlighting her birth and transformations:

Recently, while perusing the Console screenshot thread, I came across captures of Kassandra from AC Odyssey in an armour set thoroughly reminiscent of Diana's trademark attire courtesy of the member, THANOS (Huge thanks to him). I mean look at these:

78c0371001221604.jpg

d78f561001221684.jpg

LOOK AT THEM!

03847e1001221734.jpg

5de9671001221764.jpg

LOOOOK!

3564891001221804.jpg

Her model's physical characteristic is almost identical to how Diana is portrayed for most part in the comics.

We have been playing male heroes and superheroes for the longest time. Given the enormous success Wonder Woman has had in Hollywood recently and the growing vocal popularity of sensibly designed female protagonists and the growth of women in gaming over the last decade, there has never been a better time start working on a Wonder Woman game with the same level of effort, sincerity and budget as the latest Batman and Spiderman games.

Question is, what are the prime challenges in making a game featuring such a superhero.

• When and where will the game be set?
  • What powers will she feature in the beginning and by the end?
  • What tools and weapons will she possess?
  • What kind of foes will she be face?
  • How much agency will the player have in controlling Diana's narrative segments?

Personally:

• I would pick the movie rendition for power, abilities, weapons and tools for a more grounded experience. And thus, no flight
  • Some abilities would be item/armour/weapon based
  • An origin story set in Themiscyra for starter for the sake of character growth
  • Face off against supernatural foes and gods
  • Vulnerability as seen in movies and one from comics about piercing weapons

So:

What would your take be on a potential VVonder VVoman or any other female superhero project?

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't you just list the superhero titles instead of their real names.

Who the hell is Arthur Curry

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes please. I don't know when, but I'd love a decent developer to give WW the Batman/Spider-Man treatment.

But if you don't include her movie theme music then don't even bother shipping it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they can do a version of Diana that's not based on the terrible movie version, I'm game.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The Aqua man, iron man, Thor, and super man games are all bad, tho

But at the least they have had standalone recognition in the gaming world.

Why couldn't you just list the superhero titles instead of their real names.

Who the hell is Arthur Curry

He can talk to the fishes.

If they can do a version of Diana that's not based on the terrible movie version, I'm game.

Oh no you didn't....

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Just because Kassandra looks similar to Wonder Woman doesn't mean Wonder Woman would transition well to games.

Like you said, lots of challenges. They'd have to make it unique enough to not just be a brawler.

Nov 3, 2017
We don't like to talk about it.

Oh no

Just because Kassandra looks similar to Wonder Woman doesn't mean Wonder Woman would transition well to games.

Like you said, lots of challenges. They'd have to make it unique enough to not just be a brawler.

I feel like a lot of people really underestimate how difficult it is to balance the feeling of being that hero (ala Batman/Spidey) while also balancing the world around them so you're not overpowered and the gameplay is still fun but you do still feel like a superhero

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I meant what I said. Gadot is a bad actress and I can't take the character seriously with her in the role.

Begone Satan!

No seriously though, I can understand if it's not your cup of tea. That said, my inclusion of her in this thread is strictly for the purposes of having a game version where her powers are more or less in line with the movie version.

Don't need Diana when we have Kassandra

I am sorry but is that a serious argument.....

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Non movie version please. Wonder Woman is in fact actually not a good movie, it's just the nicest smelling pile of shit in a toilet full of shit. Gal Gadot looks the part but I couldn't tell her acting from a piece of wood.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No seriously though, I can understand if it's not your cup of tea. That said, my inclusion of her in this thread is strictly for the purposes of having a game version where her powers are more or less in line with the movie version.

It would pretty much just be a God of War game, overall.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
I can understand you want a game to a character you like...
but do we need another 0815 superhero game just for the sake to offer the fans anything?

Bandai does this with a lot of anime games..
are some of them good? well... sometimes, depends on the budget
do they offer anything new? nope
are they just a easy cash grab? 100%
do fans want that ??? kinda

Do you want to play such a game? I mean Warner could just realease a smartphone game for wonder woman but I think you wouldn't be happy with that. But games are expensive to make and there is a limit of developers that can make good games and aren't too expensive for such a licence espacially if it isnt something like batman/spider-man/super-man...

I am not a big dc / comic fan, but I can think of other characters that could offer a more unique and interesting game then wonder woman. idk what she could offer gameplay wise compared to other games, to have a standalone game instead of other superheroes...

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
What's Selina Kyle's game?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think you're going to get one because most of the AAA industry is transitioning to a multiplayer and/or co-op focus, and thus is focused on groups of superheroes.

Like, our upcoming announced and rumored AAA superhero games are:
- The Avengers (Crystal Dynamics)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Eidos Montreal)
- Bat Family Game (Warner Montreal)
- Rocksteady keeps putting up job postings for multiplayer for their game and their initial tease was like 6-7 mocap artists standing together

Spider-Man was really the exception here because Sony is one of the last publishers making singleplayer only AAA games.

Also, honestly, I think that Warner still hasn't put out a AAA game where you have to play as a woman, and I'm not sure they ever will, given they've never mentioned seeing that as an issue.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I can understand you want a game to a character you like...
but do we need another 0815 superhero game just for the sake to offer the fans anything?

Bandai does this with a lot of anime games..
are some of them good? well... sometimes, depends on the budget
do they offer anything new? nope
are they just a easy cash grab? 100%
do fans want that ??? kinda

Do you want to play such a game? I mean Warner could just realease a smartphone game for wonder woman but I think you wouldn't be happy with that. But games are expensive to make and there is a limit of developers that can make good games and aren't too expensive for such a licence espacially if it isnt something like batman/spider-man/super-man...

I am not a big dc / comic fan, but I can think of other characters that could offer a more unique and interesting game then wonder woman. idk what she could offer gameplay wise compared to other games, to have a game for her instead of other superheroes...

Did you read the OP?

And no, it is less about a character I like and more about bringing more female heroes and superheroes into a world of video games that has historically been saturated with male role models. Furthermore, Diana has some great story arcs that can be the basis for the game.

What's Selina Kyle's game?

It's a travesty.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
Did you read the OP?

And no, it is less about a character I like and more about bringing more female heroes and superheroes into a world of video games that has historically been saturated with male role models. Furthermore, Diana has some great story arcs that can be the basis for the game.

It's a travesty.

Soo... you would be happy if it would be a catwoman like game but with wonder woman?

Spider-Man doesnt offer anything new for spider-man comic fans when it comes to the story (for now). The gameplay should be the best part with such games, but I dont know if Warner would put that much money into a Wonder Woman game to offer that quality in my opinion....which leads to a cat-wonder-woman game...

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
· Arthur Curry/Aqua Man

· Bruce Banner/ Hulk

· Bruce Wayne/Batman

· Clark Kent/Superman

· Hal Jordan/Green Lantern

· James Howlett/Wolverine

· Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider

· Matt Murdock/DareDevil

· Peter Parker/Spider-Man

· Selina Kyle/Catwoman

· Steve Rogers/Captain America

· Thor Odinson/ Thor

· Tony Stark/Iron Man

· Wayde Wilson/Deadpool

Hopefully that will clear things up for non-comic folks, there were some that I didn't even know like Wolverine real name.

Seriously OP why would you use their secret identity names when talking about superheroes?

I meant what I said. Gadot is a bad actress and I can't take the character seriously with her in the role.

Gadot was clearly not hired for her acting skill.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how that's Wonder Woman, you're reaching much. However you did succeed in getting me to want a Xena Warrior Princess game.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if we got a Wonder Woman game any time soon. The chances are slightly higher with the movies but even then...

I want a Wonder Woman game with a Greek myth setting. Maybe Greek gods and monsters fucking with the modern world. Rather not have an origin story. I think she could use a multitude of weapons: lasso, bracelets, sword, lance, shield, bow.

Costarring with Batman in his games.
I would only consider her a costar in only Arkham City. Wouldn't mind her having a game all to herself that focuses on pulling off crazy heists.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Super Hero licenses are hot properties.

Licensed games in general are risky. You need to make them big to pay for the license or so tiny you're not risking anything. Middle ground licensed games haven't had a market in over a decade.

The push is towards team up games and multplayer. We haven't even heard a peep of new single player Batman. Spider-Man was only made because of a confluence of issues unique to his circumstance (The one developer not afraid of a big licensed games having a stake in Spider-Man)

Had the WW movie shown up near the beginning of the comic movie renaissance it would have had a game or two without question.

MajinArekkusu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It's still bizarre to me that after the success of the batman games and the global hype for comic book movies, we haven't gotten more big budget comic book games besides spider man this year and the who knows when coming avengers game.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I would only consider her a costar in only Arkham City. Wouldn't mind her having a game all to herself that focuses on pulling off crazy heists.

It could work, would definitely have to be a one off title unless DC got involved heavily And made some new villains. Catwoman's rogues gallery is limited and once you start digging around it becomes less a Catwoman game and more a Batman villain game. They could use that one guy Hellcat? Hellhound? Something like that.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
· Arthur Curry/Aqua Man

· Bruce Banner/ Hulk

· Bruce Wayne/Batman

· Clark Kent/Superman

· Hal Jordan/Green Lantern

· James Howlett/Wolverine

· Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider

· Matt Murdock/DareDevil

· Peter Parker/Spider-Man

· Selina Kyle/Catwoman

· Steve Rogers/Captain America

· Thor Odinson/ Thor

· Tony Stark/Iron Man

· Wayde Wilson/Deadpool

Hopefully that will clear things up for non-comic folks, there were some that I didn't even know like Wolverine real name.

Seriously OP why would you use their secret identity names when talking about superheroes?

Gadot was clearly not hired for her acting skill.

Thank you. Of course OP only used those names to prove how "down" they are, since there's no other logical reason to.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
WB hasn't even made a new gen game about their flagship hero, Superman yet. I doubt they would make a WW game before him.