• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When you begin a Zelda game do you rename Link?

• Always

Votes: 102 14.9%
  • Never

Votes: 464 67.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 120 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I always call him Kid. It sets a good tone in most of the games, an appropriate level of disrespect.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I played Zelda on NES yes
When Zelda on SNES launched I still renamed Link because details like that and any type of personalisation was still rare and games that let you do that made you feel special
Links awakening on Gamebot I'm sure I renamed Link
By the time Ocarina of Time launched for me Link had grown in pop culture status and I stopped renaming him

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Typically no, unless it's a subsequent playthrough. I also will typically name protagonists "Link" in most games that give me the option to do so.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Never. My brother always does. Drives me crazy to share bloodline with such a savage.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Venn diagram showing 100% overlap between people who name him Link and people who only play as Mario in Mario Kart

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I never do, but I remember renting Ocarina of Time and seeing "Lor" as one of the existing save files. I took a liking to that name and started naming my female created characters that every chance I got.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
my dude is so good

uEypmlc.jpg
Yep, awesome lmao

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
My sister does. I go with whatever is easiest, a default name if it's already there or the first letter on the name screen.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes. My first experience playing Zelda was Ocarina of Time at a friend's house so we always called Link "AndyBen" -- very creative, I know -- so sometimes on other games I'll call him that.

Oct 28, 2017
Play a game that lets you choose your name and use the default? What is this madness?

Btw I renamed Epona in Twilight Princess too.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I'm terrible at coming up with names so I go with the default unless I don't like it.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never rename the character if there's not an actual character creator, and might still use a preset name of I can't think of one.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I just started playing Zelda Botw for the first time, does the option to rename it appear further in the game?