• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's crazy that we these incredible creatures all around us. They possess such great intellect, approaching and sometimes surpassing those of even the smartest animals. When you see a crow walking, its movements look so deliberate and calculated. They are great problem solvers, have a great degree of emotional intelligence, and are extremely social. Do any of you guys have positive experiences with crows?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever I found a stray cat the other day and it's fluffy and it loves to snuggle and that's really all that matters

True Story

Crow intelligence is legit though, yeah

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Most of my experiences with crows are watching them eat garbage in Tokyo and cawing super loud. Is it just me, or are the ones in Tokyo abnormally large? Saw them all the time, but I actually really like them. Very pretty birds.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
They have cool ears too.

bird-ears.gif

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What intelligence do crows display?

I always thought that African Grey parrots were considered the smartest birds.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Do not derail my fucking thread
psh I would never

It was more of a

philosophical commentary about whether a crow's absolute intelligence advantage or a cat's ability to appeal to a humans is a more effective means of survival and propagation

or fluffy friendly cats are the best

or maybe I'm just programmed to think that and they're surviving by exploiting it

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Most of my experiences with crows are watching them eat garbage in Tokyo and cawing super loud. Is it just me, or are the ones in Tokyo abnormally large? Saw them all the time, but I actually really like them. Very pretty birds.
Yeah those Tokyo crows are like some Biohazard type mutated fuckers. Huge.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crows can use tools to retrieve food, showing problem-solving capabilities.

African Grey parrots are at an advantage against crows, since they can actually communicate with researchers.....but apparently they have a first or second grade understanding of shapes and mathematics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0E1Wny5kCk

"He would ask for a banana, and if you gave him a grape he would just toss it at you and say 'Want banana'"

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking at a crow the other day. Right in the eyes. It's like we had a whole conversation.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What intelligence do crows display?

I always thought that African Grey parrots were considered the smartest birds.

A certain type of crow is considered the most intelligent bird last I checked. They live in the rainforest someplace if I recall. They pass complex puzzles, display the use of improvised tools, and recognize individuals of other species (such as specific humans by their face).

The average crows we see in the US and UK are still really smart, but not the most intelligent type of bird. Species of crow? Whatever.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
A friend of mine works at a dealership, they had to chop a tree down on their property because crows would nest in it and if they parked show cars near it, they'd just hop off the tree, hop on the hood of the car and shit their brains out. It absolutely worked as far as keeping show cars away from the tree, it was pretty wild. You'd think it'd happen just cars sitting under the tree, but they'd just brazenly get on a car just after it parked and do it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the smartest thing a human can do is fly a plane. But a crow could nearly fly a plane. It's pretty crazy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a good rapport with the crows in my area.

I have intentionally cultivated this. Crows talk amongst themselves.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was standing in a park with a long block of trees. I was minding my own business and noticed a crow a couple trees ahead.

First thing I notice, a massive dump bombarded me. The next thing I notice, that same crow is standing right above me when it was 5 - 6 trees ahead and had 20 more to choose from.

The worst part? It was cawing up a storm as if to mock me.