• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
How does crow intelligence compare to ravens?

Someone once told me that it is illegal to own crows because you can train them to recognize someone's face and then peck their eyes out.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my experiences with crows are watching them eat garbage in Tokyo and cawing super loud. Is it just me, or are the ones in Tokyo abnormally large? Saw them all the time, but I actually really like them. Very pretty birds.

Japanese crows are indeed huge.

They also seem able to understand traffic lights, making use of them to get nuts safely.

Someone once told me that it is illegal to own crows because you can train them to recognize someone's face and then peck their eyes out.
No idea if it's illegal to own a crow, but theyabsolutely do recognize human faces.

yarden24

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's crazy that we these incredible creatures all around us. They possess such great intellect, approaching and sometimes surpassing those of even the smartest animals. When you see a crow walking, its movements look so deliberate and calculated. They are great problem solvers, have a great degree of emotional intelligence, and are extremely social. Do any of you guys have positive experiences with crows?

My father had a pet crow when he was a teenager (so 50 years ago), would walk around his town with the crow perched on his shoulder.
He still talks about the crow sometimes with a smile on his face

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup

giphy.gif

Crows unnerve me though, whenever I see a bunch of them I always feel something bad's about to happen.
Perhaps the dread we feel is just our realization that we aren't the only intelligent species on earth.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I remember reading crows have the same intelligence level as a six year old. That's pretty high in my opinion. Amazing birds indeed.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They used to be dinosaurs, you better have some kind of intelligence after 60 million years.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
I mean yeah they're smart but I have to question your experience of humans if you think they have "near human intelligence".

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also witnessing an animal like that when I eat bacon. Pigs are crazy smart. Crazy deliciously smart. Oh yeah crows are cool or whatever.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Most of my experiences with crows are watching them eat garbage in Tokyo and cawing super loud. Is it just me, or are the ones in Tokyo abnormally large? Saw them all the time, but I actually really like them. Very pretty birds.
speaking of crows in tokyo, do they sound different to crows from other regions.
When we were in Tokyo a few years ago, my fiance was convinced they sounded different to the ones back home (Australia).
I thought she was crazy

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
In the park I go there are a small variety , sometimes one of them chase me and my dog jumping from tree to tree screaming at us until we are gone from the park for no apparent reason.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crows are amazing. They're very smart, but they can also be massive assholes. They do this thing where they tug on the tails of other animals who are having food (usually birds of prey who are much bigger than the crow), and when the animal turns around to look, the crow snatches the food away. However, sometimes they just do it for shits and giggles.
There's also this phenomenon of them climbing on top of other, bigger birds, to the point of literally riding them, just for the sake of being a dick:
4r5ZTiH.jpg

Super ballsy lol

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Crows are amazing. They're very smart, but they can also be massive assholes. They do this thing where they tug on the tails of other animals who are having food (usually birds of prey who are much bigger than the crow), and when the animal turns around to look, the crow snatches the food away. However, sometimes they just do it for shits and giggles.
There's also this phenomenon of them climbing on top of other, bigger birds, to the point of literally riding them, just for the sake of being a dick:
4r5ZTiH.jpg

Super ballsy lol

The smarter the animal, the bigger the asshole.

Same with dolphins and Orcas

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shot a few as they were attacking a fold of new born lambs on a farm. They aren't as nice as you might think in those situations.

Lamb > crow.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. They even piss off bigger birds and other animals for fun. They can be devious assholes lol.
This is kinda blowing my mind, I feel like the only animals I've heard of that does shit for kicks are dolphins (they bang for fun and get high off puffer fish)

I mean I know dogs and cats play with toys but I don't think I've ever seen a dog play with itself, or make a goddamn snowboard out of garbage on its own O__O

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
4r5ZTiH.jpg

Super ballsy lol

That can't be real...

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is that bird... snowboarding?

I can understand the problem solving because it helps them get food but what earthly reason could a bird have for riding a lid down a snowy slope!?!

Do crows... do things for.. fun?

Yea, but so do dogs, dolphins, killer whales, elephants, cats, pigs, and other animals. Crows and other advanced animals like dolphins just do more elaborate things. Like a dog will play around in the snow or use toys. A crow will snowboard, a dolphin will learn to shoot rings of air under water or get high on toxic fish, etc.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I, for one, am a huge fan of crow poetry.

The subtle nuance and being able to see the world through the lens of noble creatures like them moves my soul and makes my heart take flight.

Or something.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but so do dogs, dolphins, killer whales, elephants, cats, pigs, and other animals. Crows and other advanced animals like dolphins just do more elaborate things. Like a dog will play around in the snow or use toys. A crow will snowboard, a dolphin will learn to shoot rings of air under water or get high on toxic fish, etc.
Yeah I knew about dolphins and dogs & cats (I assume I posted while you were writing this post haha) but I didn't realize the others
You can find footage of pretty much any animal having fun if you look, here's some cows pushing a hay bail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OaPQdyYVA8
What in the world, I had no idea O:

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Crows are amazing. One of my all time favorite animals. There's a bunch that like to chill in my cherry tree and I try to feed them whenever I see them.

Ravens are one type of crow. Look up the corvid family.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they´re super smart but fuck they´re also super loud and I hate it. Especially in summer where you want to have an open window all day long. It can drive you nuuuuuuuts.