• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

He's known as the Nintendo direct host nowadays but he has put together one hell of a resume.

Here is his resume

He was the guy who designed the Switch, directed Super Mario Galaxy, made the 3 day system in Majora's Mask, was the assistant director in Mario 64, wrote the script for Link's Awakening and many more.

Is he top 10?

Oct 25, 2017
He wrote Link's Awakening, came up with the 3 day idea of Majora's, and Directed SUPER MARIO GALAXY?!?!

Yeah one of the greats for sure. Top 10 I dunno but he should be high.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Want a hot take? He's going to surpass Miyamoto as the creative face for Nintendo/the Mario series and I'm stoked for it. He's charismatic, his output is outstanding, and I'm stoked to see what he works on next.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's definitely one of the greats. The only reason he isn't held even higher is because of some of the other giants who have worked at Nintendo.

Sylvalum

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid, Spain
He is in my opinion the most underrated creative of Nintendo. At least I'm so glad that he's getting so much love these last two years with his Nintendo Direct appearances.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Galaxy and Odyssey are some of the greatest Nintendo games ever. So yeah, he's proved his ability. And I love how he seems to value story and world building more than other Nintendo designers.

Even though a lot of the original Nintendo greats have gone or are getting older, I'm not worried about Nintendo's future with people like Koizumi and Takahashi around.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Invention of Z-targeting can not be understated.

Here's how Koizumi described the process on Iwata Asks:

Koizumi:
With regard to Z Targeting, I believe we started talking about how we wanted a good way of hitting opponents in front of you when we were making Super Mario 64.

Iwata:
But you couldn't do it.

Koizumi:
Right. Then, when we were making The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I thought up something when we were making the camera system for fighting enemies. What caught my attention in the studio park was the sword fight. They regularly put on shows in which the hero defeats ruffians. Watching that, I thought, "Hmm, that's weird." That was because there was no way one person could fight and win when surrounded by 20 opponents.

Iwata:
Because he's vastly outnumbered.

Koizumi:
I thought there must be some kind of trick, so I watched very closely, and it was simple. It's a sword battle, so there's a script and a certain setup. The enemies don't all attack at once. First, one attacks while the others wait. When the first guy goes down, the next one steps in, and so on.

Iwata:
It's arranged so they attack one-by-one, in order.

Koizumi:
Right. One thing I had been trying to figure out with regard to Z Targeting was how to fight multiple enemies. If I just made it like normal, the enemies would swarm the player all at once, so it would be a mess.

Iwata:
Yeah.

Koizumi:
Watching that show at the studio park was a clue toward solving that problem. Z Targeting flags one particular opponent, telling the other enemies to wait.

Z-targeting is THE system for 3d action games. None of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Revengeance would have existed without z-targeting.