• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I am like many of you not using my PSVR set because of motion sickness mainly.

Me and the wife want to focus on using it a lil bit daily to get our "legs" so to speak.

What games would you recommend?

I tried the Astrobot demo and felt queasy but adjusted a bit over time. She gets it even worse than I do.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i can only play it seated right now, but my neck is getting a real workout

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Legs+source+naked+gun+not+sure+which+onealso+leslie+nielson_a0cc33_4776989.gif

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing things like the Omni when the Rift was still being prototyped. Setups like that will probably always be really expensive but I would love for them to become feasible.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never had any problems with anything, the more intense the better. Really wish those that have issue didn't because it's damn fun.

Deleted member 1845

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can now play Skyrim without comfort options, teleport or snap turning without wanting to throw up for almost as long as I want on my Rift. Stairs and falling are still points of discomfort though. I've come a long way considering I couldn't play it for 5 minutes even with comfort settings without getting physically ill when I first started. It took probably 70 to 80 hours before I got to this point (I'm now at 200 or so hours in Skyrim VR).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get motion sickness but my eyes get very tired because of the constant focusing on blurryness.

But the motion sickness usually comes with games that have you walking at an abnormal speed without the simulation of actually walking/bopping and it messes with your senses making you think you're a floating head instead of someone walking.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The feeling will go away after around 2 weeks give or take.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Play in short bursts. Have a fan running in your direction. It'll help with adjusting.

Also recommend ginger tea.

As for games to build up your VR legs:

Beat Saber
Job Simulator (there's a demo)
Tetris Effect (though 1 or 2 stages and the transition effect may be an issue)
Superhot VR (be very mindful of your play area, though)
Moss (should be a demo as well)

SrirachaX

Apr 12, 2019
I remember seeing things like the Omni when the Rift was still being prototyped. Setups like that will probably always be really expensive but I would love for them to become feasible.

I had a chance to try this out at a local VR place and it was awesome. They had a game styled like an arena FPS and it was so much fun being able to run full tilt with guns akimbo mowing things down.

As far as VR legs go, I remember trying out trackpad locomotion for the first time with Compound on PC and I got motion sick over time. I don't really get motion sick from anything else, so it was a surprise to me. I've heard that natural locomotion doesn't impart that feeling so I'll have to give it a go when my Index controllers arrive.

Apparently it's possible (for most) to get used to it over time. It seems that the key is to stop playing the moment you feel motion sick and go back in only when you feel all the way better.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am like many of you not using my PSVR set because of motion sickness mainly.

Me and the wife want to focus on using it a lil bit daily to get our "legs" so to speak.

What games would you recommend?

I tried the Astrobot demo and felt queasy but adjusted a bit over time. She gets it even worse than I do.

Unfortunately, VR legs aren't always something you can get, even with practice. One thing you will find is with higher resolutions, better fidelity tracking, and higher framerates, the nausea will decrease dramatically. Unfortunately again, PSVR is maybe the worst platform for that.

I would avoid anything where your viewpoint moves without your control, or it moves via directional inputs. Astrobot's pretty bad because your view scrolls along with his progression through the level.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend on PSVR. Maybe Superhot VR, although I think you start teleporting between bodies at some point, which might cause issues. But teleport jumps are surprisingly not as bad as smooth panning movements.

Job Simulator would probably be good! It's a funny game, and you stay rooted in one place. Vacation Simulator also just came out, the sequel, so if you end up liking the first, the second is right there. (Rick and Morty VR was made by the same team, and is more of that style as well.)

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. I was super sick for about a week, but then eventually got my legs and once I did nothing would get me sick. This was me spending at least 4 hours in VR every single day. Once I started talking breaks and only got on VR a couple times a week, if that, I lost them and currently a lot of stuff will make me super sick again.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I also get sick. I don't care to try and get my "legs". Same reason I don't go out on the ocean on boats anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
I can play Arizona Sunshine on PSVR indefinitely now, and I can play GT Sports VR mode for longer than two laps before getting sick (as long as I play the flatter tracks.)

I think "VR legs" is a combination of several things. Its probably a mixture of self-suggestion, and unconsciously knowing what to avoid that triggers simulation sickness.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of put it aside as I'd like more free camera 3rd person games in VR without the training wheels.
Games that have given me that option I'm thankful for.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
Doing way better with it, at least I have no problems playing Everybody's Golf and had little problems with Blood and Truth, only got a little loopy towards one of the set pieces later but I was also playing in a different house than I usually VR in. Interested to see if I can handle Astrobot easier now.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
That disc thing Sony has is apparently really great. I'm gonna order one when the weighted base becomes available.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Playing Sairento for a while helped me get over pretty much any feelings of unease I had with VR - in a jump into the deep end sort of thing.

Leaping around, wallrunning, double jumping and sliding in that game is pretty intense.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I'm building a VR game and we're expressly trying to build it with prevention of motion sickness! So far there's no artificial locomotion, and the ideas we've proposed in case we want scene transitions are all super clean and non-sickness-inducing. (having the items in the room flip into the stuff you need, walking into a teleporter, closing the door, then opening it)

Don't feel bad about not building your legs. Everyone has different levels of motion sickness.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I can now play Skyrim without comfort options, teleport or snap turning without wanting to throw up for almost as long as I want on my Rift. Stairs and falling are still points of discomfort though. I've come a long way considering I couldn't play it for 5 minutes even with comfort settings without getting physically ill when I first started. It took probably 70 to 80 hours before I got to this point (I'm now at 200 or so hours in Skyrim VR).
Wow, you really stuck with it. I was also ill after about 5 minutes and just put the thing in the closet.
Personally I think I'll wait until the resolution and framerate are higher before giving it another shot, but it's interesting to know that one can overcome the motion sickness. Well, you can anyway, good work!

Deleted member 1845

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you really stuck with it. I was also ill after about 5 minutes and just put the thing in the closet.
Personally I think I'll wait until the resolution and framerate are higher before giving it another shot, but it's interesting to know that one can overcome the motion sickness. Well, you can anyway, good work!

I'm probably a worst-case scenario client for VR. When I was 12 and got my first computer, even Doom made me motion sick. I still get motion sick on roller coasters and if I ride in the backseat of a car. Most people should get their VR legs much faster than I did.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how far we are from that though.
We're not really though. We're exactly there thanks to the Quest. It's just an intrinsically stupid idea because they're running down a street in full VR - there's no mapping between the worlds.

**Edit:** Processing power aside of course - which is only a matter of time.

I used to get sick with full locomotion back when I actually used my Rift. The steps in Tuscany on DK1 were the first time I realised the hurdles before us. But something's changed with the Quest and I've used stick motion for everything. There's been a couple of uncomfortable moments but nothing major - Apex Construct and Journey of the Gods have been real eye openers. There's not much I want from VR now except bigger/deeper games, which will naturally follow the money.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Took me a few hours but I'm able to handle games like Blade and Sorcery and Gunheart with no problem. Feels good

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm pretty much immune to VR sickness.
It's a tad overrated though, anything that would impart VR sickness to other tends to ruin immersion a bit. The moment I start sliding around I go from "The world looks so physically there" to "This is absolutely a video game".

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
PSVR doesn't help with sickness because of it's weird wobble and drifting. Games that made me sick with PSVR are fine when I play them with the Oculus Quest. Hopefully the PSVR2 has better hardware as I barely touch my PSVR these days despite the fact it has some better games then the Quest.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
My legs were getting better in the early days when I was playing VR every night for a few weeks, but then I stopped for a couple of months, played RE7 and got motion sickness within 20mins. Hadn't played it since.

Till tonight. I picked up Blood and Truth and managed a 2hr session, the time flew by and I not once felt ill. The devs nailed it.