• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Splatoon 2 being a huge success, selling even faster than the original which sold over 4 million on the Wii U, it makes me excited to think of the future of the franchise!

Since I feel they stuck a bit too close to Splatoon 1's game content and structure, I feel Splatoon 3 could be the game to really expand on the concept and potential of the series. Here are some possibilities of future ideas I could come up with for future games!

Create an adventure mode:
kDIzCyR.jpg

Just looking at the backgrounds for all of the overworlds in the single player mode just makes me wish they created an adventure mode with this game's traveling mechanics. Like image traversing the Breath of the Wild world with ink mechanics, shooting enemies, climbing walls via ink, storming a castle-ish building and fighting a boss with a story. A real story, not what what we got in 1 and 2. There could also be spectacle events like the Divine Beast in Zelda or set pieces like in Uncharted! That would be amazing and I would pay big money to play that.

Capture the flag:
Simple and easy universal game mode in many multiplayer games. It'd be fun.

Hide and seek:
This mode could either be like a survival last squid standing mode where you play against 7 other players, or 4 v 4, and your objective is to be the last squid or team standing

or it could be like an adaptation of Evolve's asynchronous multiplayer where one player is a giant boss and 3 or 7 other players coordinate to fight it or escape from it!

Community made multiplayer obstacle courses/races:

Imagine custom map building where the objective of the 4 or 8 players is to get to the end of the map before the other players do!

There's so many possibilities for modes with this type of unique gameplay!

Inb4 Battle Royale Mode

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly hoping they'd do something a bit more involved with the story in 2, so maybe 3rd time's the charm.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Personally i would really like a spin-off fully focused on a big solo adventure! (obviously one more polished than the solo in the first two games)

the characters are great and they could do so much with this universe

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a really good question as Splatoon 2 is pretty much the complete package and a strong GotY contender.

It has a fantastic and tremendously underrated single player mode, a brand-new and wonderfully executed co-op online mode, and of course the meat of the game is the perfectly judged online competitive mode. How do you improve that? It's honestly hard to say.

I'd leave the series be for a couple of years now. We had two amazing games in quick succession, now let it percolate and don't make a sequel until you have a really, really great idea.

100 Squids are dropped onto an island...

Oh boy here we go...

...it could work!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, we still need to see what they'll do with the updates in the second one but I don't see them changing it that much in a third one. I can see them putting more hairstyles, clothes, weapons, new modes, maps, story and other things but not a revamp, it's still too soon for the franchise.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
A mode with vehicles. Like submarines or tanks.

Flats you can customize, splat, and chill with friends in.

2P co-op: Callie and Marie Chronicles (prequel story about Agents 1 and 2).

Catalog of items: make it easier to track completion percentage.

Custom pattern design for clothes.

Spray paint type weapon.

Battle Royale Mode ofc

DDR spinoff game

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think expanding into user-created modes and content are the best way to go. Seems really simple to be able to put together a simple map editor. And my friends and I have been coming up with custom rulesets since the first game (hide and seek, races, 1v1 duels, etc.)

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
It's waaaay too soon for that. We should wait to see what they do for Splatoon 2 first.
I ain't complaining about the awesome continued support and free content, but if 1 and what we've seen of 2 are any model than the're not really going anywhere with 2. New weapons, new maps, new clothes, and probably not a whole ton more. There's no reason to believe they'll add some big mode in a year after release.

Deleted member 9929

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we don't see another sequel for quite some time, and when it does come it needs to do something new (for the series). Perhaps online co-op raids like something from destiny...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Adding a couple of colors to the not-Miiverse images.

OP
OP
Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wat, nobody wants an adventure mode? Or a hide and seek mode? Maybe some obstacle courses? :P

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Cooperative multiplayer dungeons and raids.

But what I really want to see is a skateboarding and BMX spinoff. Like THPS with ink tricks and stuff.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Having a decent netcode for once would be more than enough. If the netcode wouldn't be such a problem in 2 then it already would've been the perfect package.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Wat, nobody wants an adventure mode? Or a hide and seek mode? Maybe some obstacle courses? :P

All of those would be awesome. Dream big! A proper adventure mode in Splatoon 2 sounds BotW-like to me, so I don't want go get my hopes up. But it could happen.

Obstacle courses and hide and seek would be sweet. The single player mode now is sort of like obstacle courses.

For some reason I could also see some type of golf mode working in Splatoon.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I ain't complaining about the awesome continued support and free content, but if 1 and what we've seen of 2 are any model than the're not really going anywhere with 2. New weapons, new maps, new clothes, and probably not a whole ton more. There's no reason to believe they'll add some big mode in a year after release.
And new modes and hair styles as they have already announced in their last trailer. They could still add new modes in 2018. Splatoon 1 support got cut short to push Splatoon 2 on a new and more successful console. Splatoon 2 has way more breathing room. Single player won't get an update though, but I also don't think Splatoon 3 will have a much more elaborate and fleshed out single player campaign. Splatoon is a multiplayer series and its single player is just a longer tutorial.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portal mechanics. Splashing a on map portal that teleports to another part of the map. Or even a weapon that's literally an instant portal rather then having to use the jump ability.

A full blown Single Player Campaign where you can switch between multiple weapons. Literally I just want Ratchet and Clank. But Splatoon styled. A fusion of Octolings and Samon as general monsters.

Samon run to become a more serious game mode alongside the main game.

Choosing a color and always be in a team of that color. (The game matchmakes but you can always be the color you choose and the game automatically sets whatever it wants as the secondary color/ other team).

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Microtransactions. Just imagine that for a few dollars, you could play the Salmon Run anytime you wanted!

I really should play a Splatoon game sometime. I just don't like multiplayer shooters, but I always feel so left out of the reindeer games.

OP
OP
Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of those would be awesome. Dream big! A proper adventure mode in Splatoon 2 sounds BotW-like to me, so I don't want go get my hopes up. But it could happen.

Obstacle courses and hide and seek would be sweet. The single player mode now is sort of like obstacle courses.

For some reason I could also see some type of golf mode working in Splatoon.

Yeah! I described my thoughts on the adventure mode in the OP as well as a hide and seek and obstacle courses. It'd be freaking amazing. I would pay so much money.

And dude sports, I didn't even think of that! Imagine European football, like Rocket League where you shoot the ball towards the goal.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them expand on the SP content, too. I didn't really get to play much of the original so I was really impressed by the gameplay of the SP in 2... to the point where I'm considering picking up the first game just to have more. I'd like to see them build on this because it has some serious potential.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
The portal idea has a lot of potential.

Another thing that's simple but could be fun: bigger maps with 3 or 4 teams, each with their own ink color.

Sports could be nice. I think Clam Blitz starts to play into that space.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Splat 3 can go in many directions.

I like your idea to make the single player grander.

One thing i would like is for a new alt ammo or alt weapon that opens up movement options.

This class should only affect personal mobility, if it was offensive in nature the game would feel way too different from Splatoon in 2 ways.

Lastly this new version shouldn't depend on ink like the splat duallies roll does.

If the class was a new set of weapons I envision
1 A hose that would function like a hook shot.

You can sweep past difficult terrain but unlike the built in zip lines you can't jump off mid way. Whatsoever location you grapple the hose will spray the area with ink giving you some options when you arrive.

2 an ignitor that burns away all the paint in the opposite direction it pushes you while in squid form. Movement ends when you change back to humanoid form.

3 a hooked cane that allows you to turn corners and ledges at incredible speed.

You will have the choice to make use of momentum to execute a short duration wall run.

Speaking of which One thing I really want is a custom reticle option.

Sometimes I wish it was bigger or more prominent.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
A much more fleshed out single player campaign has a lot of potential. 4P Co-Op campaign mode would be great as well

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this game lends itself well to an adventure mode, not because I don't think a good game could be made in this vein, but really that's not the team's focus. It could too easily stray into bad places if they tried to make a sequel that was at once SO much more ambitious content-wise and such a divergent direction.

I would love to see structured PSO/Destiny strike type levels. Basically combine the design elements of the existing co-op modes with a small dungeon-style mode.

Imagine teaming up with 3 others, and instead of having one ink color, you could all choose different inks that did different things (or all choose the same.) The ink in this mode would not just cover turf, but serve specific purposes and interact with various kinds of opposition/hazards.

That seems more manageable and in the wheelhouse of the team. Taking an existing mechanic (ink) and making a mode based on other kinds of ink makes sense to me, as does the mini-dungeon/strike style of play.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
We need a true sequel this time, after getting Splatoon 1.5 on the Switch.

8 vs 8 mode maybe? The raids, dungeons, loot, etc people have suggested in here sounds amazing

OP
OP
Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like for a sufficient amount of time to go into developing Splatoon 3. Like for the Switch 2 (or Super Switch as I like to call it). So 3-4 years instead of 2.

More development time means more content, like a bigger single player campaign, an adventure mode, and all these different modes we're suggesting

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's true though?

They very clearly wanted to get the sequel out for the Switch's first year so they pumped it out quickly with very low ambition.

That's not always a bad thing, but I'd like 3 to release in 3-4 years rather than 2 again.
Completely new stages, story mode, gear, sub weapons and specials are "low ambition?"
Can't say I agree

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm really depressed nobody has said this yet, but the game would benefit incredibly from 4 player split screen. That's the single biggest thing this game needs, by far. Now maybe the switch can't run that. Well then there's your spec requirement for Switch Pro in 2019.

4 players on 1 console would cement switch as the defacto couch multiplayer console. Even 2 players per Console would help a lot.

4 player coop campaign too.

Other than that it's hard to imagine.

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Single player campaign with grizzly, bearded and angry squid dad in a third person survival adventure shooter. Inkopolis is in ruins, Callie and Marie are dead and it's finally time for the Octo race to pay the ultimate price for their treachery. Features ink crafting, stealth mechanics and a octoling torture segment.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BIt more improvement on all aspect, more single player with lores. Just don't mess up the system until it was broken. Reminds me of Destiny 2