• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First things first... Get rid of the GeoIP based match making, because it's absolute garbage!

Second: does it have to be 4v4? If the match doesn't reach eight players, would it kill them to do it as six people?

OP
OP
Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they continue updating Splatoon 2 and we don't get a sequel until late 2019 at the earliest.

No need to ruin the franchise to the ground.
Battle royale would be cool.
With a twist ofcourse just like how Salmon Run did with Horde mode.

Sequel every 2-3 years is prefered.
This is only to discuss potential. I'm not asking for Splatoon 3 right now. I'd rather wait until Switch 2 with a longer development time, like 3-4 years.

I don't want a sequel every 2 years especially with as little changes from 1 to 2. I'm bringing up this question since Splatoon 2 was obviously quickly developed just so they had it for early launch of Switch. Now that they don't need to rush, it's time to make some real progression into the possibility of modes and single player from the potential of the mechanics at play in this franchise.

Because it's not JUST a run of the mill shooter. It's a platformer, it's a rhythm game, it's an adventure game, it's an online arcade arena shooter. There's so many possibilities like I explain in my OP for what could be done with these mechanics to truly make a step forward for the series. I don't want what feels like another half step upon announcement. I want to truly see the next big step

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
an actual single player that's worth a damn. the first one was fine since it was the first game and all. the second just made me not buy the game as it was largely a retread of the first game conceptually instead of an evolution of it

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Remove all the time limitations on modes. That shit is dumb. Balance your game so you can play anything at any time.
If you're going to keep map rotations time based, increase it to 3 or 4 maps instead of 2.
More customization. The update is a good start, a proper sequel should have twice as much stuff.
More music, get Hideki Naganuma on the phone.
Maze Runner mode: Straight BR doesn't really work when you're so dependent on ink, so rather than 100 squids in a plane, it's 25 squids outside of a giant walled ring filled with traps, ink pools, enemies and platforming obstacles. A constant ink barrier forces you in and into conflict with other players. Two lives. Ends with either last man standing or whomever holds a control point in the very center of the map. Matches shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes.
60 FPS everywhere.
Local multiplayer for the horde mode.
More web hooks so I can show off how stylish my loadouts are.
The ability to play with friends AT THE JUMP, even if it's unranked. Unranked friend play should be available, I'm fine with all the jumping through hoops you need to do to play ranked with friends, but I should be able to easily join up and play with people I know.
Start the level cap at 99.
More surprises in the single player campaign, Spalt2n's was too samey, even if Splatoon 1's campaign was excellent.
More variation for stages (weather, events, time of day)

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is only to discuss potential. I'm not asking for Splatoon 3 right now. I'd rather wait until Switch 2 with a longer development time, like 3-4 years.

I don't want a sequel every 2 years especially with as little changes from 1 to 2. I'm bringing up this question since Splatoon 2 was obviously quickly developed just so they had it for early launch of Switch. Now that they don't need to rush, it's time to make some real progression into the possibility of modes and single player from the potential of the mechanics at play in this franchise.

Because it's not JUST a run of the mill shooter. It's a platformer, it's a rhythm game, it's an adventure game, it's an online arcade arena shooter. There's so many possibilities like I explain in my OP for what could be done with these mechanics to truly make a step forward for the series. I don't want what feels like another half step upon announcement. I want to truly see the next big step
Honestly i am hoping just like Mario and Pokemon spin off series happen.

A big adventure Splatoon game, a Splatoon RPG, Strategy, a Splatoon Open World game etc. I really wanna see this franchise go crazy like those 2. With Splatoon being so big especially in japan it might happen someday.

That's my wish gaming wise actually since Splatoon is my most favorite franchise now.

Mode wise i hope they expand on the Singleplayer quite bit or maybe even add more singleplayer like modes. A randomized roquelike level maybe with a boss at the end? User created levels, a bigger story wich lasts over 10 hours and with new surprises and gameplay, harder difficulity and designed levels for Splatoon veterans. Solo Salmon Run missions and more, survival mode. Maybe an randomnized adventure mode like smash bros but with a splatoon twist? That would be pretty cool.

For multiplayer as i said i think battle royale or a survival mode would be kinda neatx but honestly with Splatoon you probably can come up with all kinds of modes multiplayerwise there is no limit.

But yeah i agree i hope the next game adds way more. Honestly Splatoon 2 really improved alot after the recent update and there is still a big one coming in december. So that game truly is worth it now imo and no 1.5 version like some people found it to be. Still there will be some updates to come and i am excited for what those will be.

Sorry i did not intent my comment to he snarky or anything if that might have been the case.

Anyway Splatoon has no boundaries imo mode and gameplay wise i do truly think you can use this IP for more (other genres for example or really inique modes) just like Mario and Pokemon. (I think Zelda can too and honestly it did get some spin off games Hyrule Warriors is my favorite).

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
More gear, more maps, more music... basically more Splatoon is all I need for 3.

I did like the idea of a co-op campaign based around Salmon Run. I'd be into that.

Also I want an full blown Splatoon x Taiko no Tatsujin crossover in the vein of The Idolm@ster Must songs.

Oct 27, 2017
Please change it up. I love Splatoon, but Splatoon 2 being way too similar killed the longevity of that game for me (though I still got to level 30).

Splatoon 1 was really fun and fresh (HAAAAA), but Splatoon 2 managed to somehow make the formula feel stale already.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Worldwide matchmaking, like the first Splatoon.

Because Splatoon 2 matchmaking is shit. That's a start for Splatoon 3.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
- Worldwide matchmaking supported by a better internal refresh rate
- Quality of life changes to certain systems (optional news skits or a news ticker that doesn't kick everyone out of lobbies/squads with people)
- Changed gear chunk economy + the current Annie shop/Anniezon integrated into the game itself versus being its own thing on the separate app
- Better weapon stream (don't make us wait 4-5 months for a Hydra Splatling/Range Blaster/Splat Brella next time)
- Options to further customize things like color lock (selecting certain pairs of colors)
- Squid Dreads. Also a universal pony tail. Also pants.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Fix the matchmaking. I don't understand why the devs decided to add (pseudo) regional matchmaking. Nobody's really playing the game anywhere but Japan, so the game's livelihood is dying. I can't bring myself to give a damn about any other potential change until this glaring issue is fixed. =/

- Squid Dreads. Also a universal pony tail. Also pants.

Fucking. Yes.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Capture the flag:
Simple and easy universal game mode in many multiplayer games. It'd be fun.
I remember thinking about this with some friends once

>Flag is on the middle of the map
obvious reasons

>each team half of the map starts fully painted with the enemy team ink
this means you will have to paint your path to the flag and make sure to have a path to escape back

>An Inkling carrying the flag CANT turn into an squid
or maybe backwards anyone "carrying" the flag can only be on Squid mode

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really depressed nobody has said this yet, but the game would benefit incredibly from 4 player split screen. That's the single biggest thing this game needs, by far. Now maybe the switch can't run that. Well then there's your spec requirement for Switch Pro in 2019.

4 players on 1 console would cement switch as the defacto couch multiplayer console. Even 2 players per Console would help a lot.

4 player coop campaign too.

Other than that it's hard to imagine.

This is it. 4-player splitscreen online against other squads would fire the fun factor into the stratosphere.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I remember thinking about this with some friends once

>Flag is on the middle of the map
obvious reasons

>each team half of the map starts fully painted with the enemy team ink
this means you will have to paint your path to the flag and make sure to have a path to escape back

>An Inkling carrying the flag CANT turn into an squid
or maybe backwards anyone "carrying" the flag can only be on Squid mode
I mean that's SORT of what Rainmaker is. Basically 1 flag CTF where the flag is also a gun.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Battle Royale would also be really weird, again due to the inking mechanic. What happens when 8 squids with different ink run into each other? It'd be a mess in a few good ways and a lot of bad ways.

Battle Royale could work if it was limited to only a small number of squids. Like 10 or so, all with different ink colors. It would also fit better with Splatoon's 3-5 minute matches. I could see a Splatoon-friendly variation of BR working in the same way that Rainmaker is a Splatoon-friendly variation of CTF.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Worldwide matchmaking, like the first Splatoon.

Because Splatoon 2 matchmaking is shit. That's a start for Splatoon 3.

This made me wonder why I wasn't seeing any Japanese players. I remember following old Splatoon discussions and this frequently happened. I think they changed it because of what they have in mind for their online subscriptions. We'll see.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This made me wonder why I wasn't seeing any Japanese players. I remember following old Splatoon discussions and this frequently happened. I think they changed it because of what they have in mind for their online subscriptions. We'll see.

Huh that's strange? I usually get paired with a couple of Japanese players every match.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like the multiplayer maps to include many of the gimmicks and aesthetic qualities from the story mode. In multiplayer everything has a grounded urban look and feel which starts to feel much too similar. Especially in 2, many of the map layouts have an immediately recognizable structure that takes away from the unique feel of each map.

Basically, I enjoy the imaginative focus on traversal in the story mode and would like to see more unique qualities to individual maps.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Something wacky that trumps the Miiverse integration of the first one.

Let us grind for furniture and build our own squid home with achievement boasting, fashion and player-made tags or art that we can check out after a fun match with the latest players we faced.
Also, the edgy hipster-anarchchy lore in the first game was really interesting. Make a good story out of that with punky characters, maybe gangs or people competing to be the very best. I'd love a good side-running story element to these games moreso than in 1 and 2.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why the fuck you lied to us nintendo ?
HauntingIncompatibleIaerismetalmark.gif

WHERE IS THIS ?

Rock And Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Let us change weapons mid match to counter what other teams are running, or at least give a load out of two weapons or something.

Obligatory fix matchmaking.