• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A new game has new stages, weapons and campaign? I'm shocked, shocked!
Regardless of "ambition" its a multiplayer shooter. The point is to be iterative and expand on the core design without effin up the multiplayer. It being Splatoon 1.5 is like saying CoD:MW2 is just CoD4.5. And thats a ridiculous statement. They didn't rush it out to meet year 1 of Switch, its a sequel, which takes far less dev time. 2 years is time enough and hardly what I would call rushed.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Allowing me to play with my friends immediately would be a good start. I dropped the game on day one because of this.

The tick rate also needs to be improved.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how many times people mention it: I want that stupid intro gone.

People need to call out this shit. Every. Thread.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
They can flesh out a ton of things right off the bat.

-Better single player with actual theme stages. The second felt like such a copy and paste outside of those guardrails. I like the fact that they take time to add these stages and there is some fun there but man did it feel way to similar to the first game.
-Have all modes unlocked from the start.
-No time limit on Salmon Run. Oh, and either up the map count or get rid of the two hour time limit.
-Lot more variety in outfits/customization stuff.
-remove the tv stuff when launching the game or stuff it off to the side as something optional.
-maybe incorporate the squid lab thing some videos/player clips that people can watch in game to get better

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Regardless of "ambition" its a multiplayer shooter. The point is to be iterative and expand on the core design without effin up the multiplayer. It being Splatoon 1.5 is like saying CoD:MW2 is just CoD4.5. And thats a ridiculous statement. They didn't rush it out to meet year 1 of Switch, its a sequel, which takes far less dev time. 2 years is time enough and hardly what I would call rushed.
If you're happy with the product, then that's great! I personally was hoping to see a major expansion of the core ideas like Smash 64 -> Melee.

I don't care how many times people mention it: I want that stupid intro gone.

People need to call out this shit. Every. Thread.
Just let us hit + to skip it, I don't really care what the current stages are so let me jump right in.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really depressed nobody has said this yet, but the game would benefit incredibly from 4 player split screen. That's the single biggest thing this game needs, by far. Now maybe the switch can't run that. Well then there's your spec requirement for Switch Pro in 2019.

4 players on 1 console would cement switch as the defacto couch multiplayer console. Even 2 players per Console would help a lot.

4 player coop campaign too.

Other than that it's hard to imagine.

I agree this is sorely wanted. I hope any such attempt didn't impact framerate.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
More single-player. And don't do that "force us to use a specific weapon," shit again. There are certain weapons in Splatoon I loathe using so doing that for certain parts of 2's campaign was painful. Also give us a final boss that lives up to the first game again. But mostly I just want something longer and more meaty.

More big maps. All of the small ones in 2 get a bit old.

A proper team deathmatch mode as one of the competitive gametypes.

Bring back the Squid Jump minigame.

And yeah, let us skip the intro please.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expect a apex in terms of production values, bigger story and setpieces I bet

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe other new playable sea creatures/humans other than just Inklings. They could have slightly different stats and abilities from Inklings.

I thought a followup could have a larger story/adventure focus. The center of the island still acts like the hub in the first two. However the full island is explorable. Island is like Tokyo meets San Francisco with slight Hawaii vibes. Area is divided into four territories ruled by the four different humanoid species. Your goal is to take on the different gangs, make your own gang composed of one of each humanoid species and claim the island as your own. As you complete different missions on the island you face off against the gang members at different locations that are also stages in online multiplayer such as docks, skate parks, concerts, museums, etc. When you defeat a gang member you unlock a sewer drain that lets you explore the underworld for that area offering more traditional Splatoon mission challenges. Various activities you can do on the island such as competing in skateboard contests incorporating the ink shooting mechanic. You can shoot ink all over the island to explore the whole place including skyscrapers.

Additional ranked modes and more modes similar to Clam Blitz that incorporate a more sports like aspect to the mode. Those modes also appear in the singleplayer when facing different members of the gang. Perhaps even different rules such as 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 for a different kind of game mode or 2 vs. 2 vs. 2 vs. 2

Last edited:

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just looking at the backgrounds for all of the overworlds in the single player mode just makes me wish they created an adventure mode with this game's traveling mechanics. Like image traversing the Breath of the Wild world with ink mechanics, shooting enemies, climbing walls via ink, storming a castle-ish building and fighting a boss with a story. A real story, not what what we got in 1 and 2. There could also be spectacle events like the Divine Beast in Zelda or set pieces like in Uncharted! That would be amazing and I would pay big money to play that.

Open world? Why...

Story and spectacle are possible but they would most likely have to change the current level design direction to accommodate these elements. I get it, you want context like Nathan Drake is hanging from an airplane trying to climb up against falling cargo. That's cool, but the thing is the level has to be designed specifically to fit the scenario, and this fact places limitations on what the gameplay can encompass. Uncharted games are actually even more restricted because they have to be grounded in reality as well. Idk, I think Splatoon's single player is fine as it is. Maybe they can add some cutscenes or something in between but that would also be odd because the abstract and arbitrary nature of the levels wouldn't reflect the story whatsoever and thus feel disconnected to the gameplay itself.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Expand Salmon Run into a full L4D-style Co-op campaign.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Apart from new variations/expansions (hub, story, single-player, maps, graphics, characters, abilities, leveling rewards, weapons, clothes, yada yada), they could experiment with some of the traditional design elements, such as some maps no longer being symmetrical, or gameplay mechanics such as being able to collect and use items strewn around the map (although this is kinda what Clam Blitz is) or tactical co-op gimmicks (being able to jump on your teammates to reach higher ground, etc).

In general, they could make Inkopolis bigger and more immersive, with more things to discover, unlock, and interact with -- maybe even a town that's a live online hang-out area with chat options.

They could also introduce under-ink sections of maps, provided they can make the swimming physics simple and intuitive.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to have a larger hub where you can actually ink and explore. Also matches with more people or teams could be cool but I'm not sure how that would work balance wise. And finally, playable octolings!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's a small thing, but I'm still disappointed we never got playable octolings. I wish they would expand the role of octolings in the next game.

Aside from that, I wish they would expand the cooperative game modes. I far prefer cooperation over competition. So for me, Salmon Run was by far the best mode in the game. I wish they could add more modes that are cooperative, and make it a bigger focus.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better netcode and a singleplayer campaign that actually captures the fun of the multiplayer mode.

Solid Rooster

Oct 28, 2017
I like Splatoon, but the sequel is just going to be more of the same.

More weapons, and map are a given, possibly a more involved single-player?

I don't know man, if they really wanted to, they can just go Call of Duty/Pokemon on this series.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
My only suggestion is to have all weapons with splat in the name unlocked from the start.

And for a spin-off game I would love to see them do a team racer where you ink the track as you go.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Much more Salmon Run content and a proper ranked playlist with seasons and a ranking system like OW, and cosmetics as rewards for competing each season. I'd also like to see more variety in modes. Especially something like Search And Destroy or FFA

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The core competitive gameplay of Splatoon is already about as finely honed as it can get, I think. The weapon balance seems fine, the specials are in a way better place than they were in Splatoon 1, the equipment grind strikes a good balance between challenge and reward, and the mode options all seem to be working as intended. If Splatoon 3 released in 2020/2021, I'd probably be fine if it were mainly Splatoon 2 with more polish, maps, weapons, and customization options.

I'd like to see more development of Splatoon's single-player and co-op content, though. Has Splatoon reached the point where it could sustain a single-player/co-op spinoff game? It works just as well as a platformer as an online shooter, so a standalone Hero Mode game or substantial expansion pack could be fun. Salmon Run has been a great success in 2, so more of that would also be welcome. Longer Salmon Run-style scenarios with a focus on map traversal? Even larger raid bosses for a Super Salmon Run?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
My hope for the next Splatoon game is not for 3 but for a 2d sidescrolling spin-off entry that translates the ink and squid abilities and weapon loadouts into 2d platforming. I think it could work really well, be a ton of fun, and help expose the general Splatoon concept to more people before Splatoon 3.

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
Let them first finish the second game before even thinking about a third game. Honestly the balance could be so much better and even though I do think the last patch has been the best one they put out yet, the fact that Splashdown has not been nerfed is baffling. Instead they go for burst bombs which, even though people like to cry about them the most, they're honestly not as strong as other exploding bombs. It was the burst bomb splashdown combo that was broken, fix that instead. At this point Splatoon 2 is just splashdown the game. Give rollers and chargers more options (Splat roller has to heavily rely on the curling bomb and the only reason it's decent), aside from some niche uses on certain maps. And yeah tick rate and matchmaking, but that one is self-explanatory.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Haven't played 2's single player yet, but I want something like Kirby Super Star/Ultra. Basically a bunch of short "games" of various lengths using the same base mechanics.

UyWIQ1x.png

Or just different single player stuff, a co-op campaign could be cool too.

Capture the flag:
Simple and easy universal game mode in many multiplayer games. It'd be fun.
Rainmaker is basically that.

Choosing a color and always be in a team of that color. (The game matchmakes but you can always be the color you choose and the game automatically sets whatever it wants as the secondary color/ other team).
Yes please. Or allow me to pick a favorite from each paring.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Splatoon: Paradise

A fully rendered Inkopolis where the single player adventure and multiplayer take place. Battle areas and campaign are both integrated to the city map. Events occur making certains areas of the city blocked off for multiplayer purpose.
Salmon Run invasion in the city, races across neighbourhoods, hide and seek, different shops across the city (Accessible via jump points), etc...

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For the ink mechanics itself I don't think big scenarios are a good idea for Splatoon, neither in the campaign nor in the multiplayer

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I have a very very long list.

• Local 2P-4P mode with bots
  • Maps that are more aesthetically varied and designed to support all styles of play.
  • Better tick rate
  • All modes accessible offline.
  • A healthy amount of launch content with add ons happening less often.
  • More single player stuff
  • A 'Splatoon Seasons' mode that allows you to face bots to earn cash and unlock stuff.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm more interested in seeing what kind of weird spin-off games they can do with the franchise rather than a third main game. Nintendo could probably really milk the series spinoffs at least in Japan.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, I would like to see more varied amiibo support for properties outside Splatoon. Someone made a very good sketch of what could be

tumblr_ox4mt8cqPY1socdtno2_540.png

tumblr_ox4mt8cqPY1socdtno3_540.png

tumblr_ow3r6lsLah1socdtno2_540.png

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Better single player.
Better local coop vs play. (Split screen with bots modes)
More weapon customization.
Better stat tracking.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Splatoon thoroughly executes on its vision in all aspects of design.

The one exception I'll make is the gear progression. For a game build around personality, style and freshness, it's a shame that neither Splatoon 1 nor Splatoon 2 could come up with a perk system that promotes fashion over performance. If Splatoon 3 allows players to pick their clothes based primarily on what they look like instead of forcing players into a more or less ugly mismatch of tastes just because it's the most effective combination for battle, that'd be the final stroke of genius that the Inklings were missing.

Other than that it's hard to iterate on an idea you got right on the first attempt. Radical shifts risk ruining the entire game, and even with fine-tuning you're as likely to make small adjustments in the wrong direction as your are to improve things.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean Splatoon 1.75?
Seriously though, better singleplayer, better opportunities to paly with friends than having to get some ranks in.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe go full Home/2nd Life with Splatoon lobby where people can talk and interact in a big world with stadium areas for battle.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Like previous comments I want the ability to skip the intro video. I haven't cared in the 400 hours I put into both games, I doubt I'll care any other time I play it, so just let us skip it. I want rewards for ranked, or a more varied Salmon Run mode. If I got those everything would be good.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I really wish they continue updating Splatoon 2 and we don't get a sequel until late 2019 at the earliest.

No need to ruin the franchise to the ground.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battle royale would be cool.
With a twist ofcourse just like how Salmon Run did with Horde mode.

Sequel every 2-3 years is prefered.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
60hz tick rate plz

Better spectating/esports elements. Splatoon is fantastic to watch, once you get over the initial learning curve as a spectator, and I'd love to see them move towards that direction in game, possibly with having a few ranked matches available to watch/bet on live with a chat using the ingame drawings.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Bots if someone DCs. I mean, it's better than nothing

Also (as I think another user mentioned) an option for bots during local MP

I mean, they programmed some AI for the singleplayer campaign, might as well use it, right?