• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7217

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I thought would spark an interesting discussion. It's about the SEGA Superstars/SEGA all-stars series. There have been 4 games so far: a PS2 Eyetoy game, a Tennis game, and two racing games. What should the series do next? Concepts for scrapped Soccer and fighting games were uncovered by the Sonic Stadium a few years back. One guy at SD mentioned an idea where the characters would fight inside mechs of themselves, which would also be a cool idea. Some just want a third all-stars Racing game,but I'm guessing with Team Sonic Racing on the horizon, it's probably not going to happen any time soon. My question for discussion is, what can you see the series tackle next? A volleyball game? A fighting game? A baseball game? Should Sumo Digital do another one, or should another developer be given a chance to try their own idea? Should the finally cross over with another company like Capcom or Bandai Namco? What's the next step for Sega superstars/All-stars?

Link to soccer/brawl concepts: https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/06/sonic-sega-all-stars-brawl-football-concepts-discovered/

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Might just be the concept art, but that soccer game really feels like Mario Strikers, which I guess would have been an obvious starting point. Sega has so many cool arcade and sports styled games in their history that I wouldn't mind a Sega characters skin over any of it.

Mobile gacha garbage.

These both basically exist! The Sega Pinball Party game had Sonic, Nights, and something else (maybe Samba? I forget). And then we have Sega Heroes for gatcha, which is actually not terrible if you ignore the ludicrously gouging real-money transactions and just play slow and F2P.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not trying to derail the thread as I'm a huge fan of the previous SEGA All-Stars games...but do we have any reason to believe that we're going to get a new game in this series? The thread title infers it being a possibility but I sadly believe that with the new Sonic Team Racing game coming and the gap in time since the last SAS title, we shouldn't get our hopes up here.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Powerstone style four player wackyness where you fight for control over chaos emeralds to go super. Name it a spin on Sonic Battle from the GBA days.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Powerstone style four player wackyness where you fight for control over chaos emeralds to go super. Name it a spin on Sonic Battle from the GBA days.
YES! This is exactly what I had in mind. That would be glorious!

Sonic vs Joe Musashi vs Blaze Fielding vs Gillius Thunderhead, let's go!

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully another great kart game, or otherwise some other arcadey sports game. Maybe some kind of rpg as well.

Everything but a Smash clone.

Apr 21, 2018
Hopefully another great kart game, or otherwise some other arcadey sports game. Maybe some kind of rpg as well.

Everything but a Smash clone.
Yeah, that would be stupid. Especially when they have an excellent game (Fighter Megamix) released 3 years before Smash...
A simple FM2 would be dope.

Sonic lost the Mario Family in Tokyo 2020 android version. Just add Sega Characters. Sonic and Sega all Stars at Olympic game for PC, PS4, X-box.
DLC for Tranformed would be nice too.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Anything. Seeing all the SEGA IP's listed for SEGA Heroes makes me desperately want a console crossover again, & no matter how good TSR may end up being, I will always resent it for removing the crossover aspect just to make room for Zavok.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Years ago, someone at Sumo Digital in an interview said the team wanted to try and create a Power Stone inspired fighting game cross over to be Sega's answer to Smash Bros.

I would be ALL FUCKING OVER THAT.

Sep 28, 2018
Unfortunately, it seems to be dead.

SEGA seem to have a lot of trouble keeping their IPs alive... They're like one of those people who start a new art project every other week get crazy into it then lose interest and move on... It results in us getting a bunch of games in a series then nothing for a decade... Kinda sucks.

This is where Nintendo shine, this is how they have built up their IPs to be so recognisable... Every time you buy a Nintendo console you know exactly what you're getting... A couple of Marios, a Zelda, a MK... Smash Bros, Pikmin, whatever...

Besides Sonic and perhaps now Yakuza SEGA fans don't know if they'll get another game in any given series this year, in 5, or never again...

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
A fighting game.

They can get the Virtua Fighter team to make it and borrow elements from Virtua Fighter and Smash Bros.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Give me a Valkyria Chronicles-esque SRPG. So like, Sonic is a scout unit that runs really far and fast, Kiryu controls like an infantry tank, Hatsune Miku is a medic, etc.

It would lose them tons of money, but make me super happy, and at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters :P?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I just realized the next SEGA crossover's going to be flooded with Atlus characters. I'm fine with that so long as we get Bayonetta, too.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I concur with Power Stone-style. Might as well make it 8-players locally too on the Switch. While on the subject...

Nintendo should do Power Stone-style.
Mortal Kombat should do Power Stone-style.
Capcom should do Power Stone 3 Power Stone-style.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us a fighting game you cowards

This

I'm not trying to derail the thread as I'm a huge fan of the previous SEGA All-Stars games...but do we have any reason to believe that we're going to get a new game in this series? The thread title infers it being a possibility but I sadly believe that with the new Sonic Team Racing game coming and the gap in time since the last SAS title, we shouldn't get our hopes up here.

We don't.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I concur with Power Stone-style. Might as well make it 8-players locally too on the Switch. While on the subject...

Nintendo should do Power Stone-style.
Mortal Kombat should do Power Stone-style.
Capcom should do Power Stone 3 Power Stone-style.

MK should probably do Thrill Kill-Power Stone style, honestly (Hitting opponents actually built your meter, & when it was full you could perform a "Thrill Kill," AKA a fatality taking the opponent out of the game).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I want a sequel to Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, and as far as I'm aware, Team Sonic Racing is not that game!

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

I can't get my hopes up for this series again. I still remember our own Zhuge hyping up TSR when people started talking about wanting a S&SASRT sequel in a thread here, & then everyone immediately speculated on new SEGA franchises for them to bring in. I greatly appreciate him rolling things back immediately, but it if an insider hyped TSR up to someone as a Sonic, I feel SEGA internally thinks people don't care about their non-Sonic, Yakuza, or Persona IP's so they don't even bother outside of endless re-releases of the same selection of games (Can't even give us Crusader of Centy once?).

I'm still strongly wanting a new SEGA All-Stars, but I think that mobile game's all that's in the books for right now, even after TSR's backlash.

I want a sequel to Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, and as far as I'm aware, Team Sonic Racing is not that game!

I mean, it technically is. It just trades the fun SEGA crossover aspect for... Zavok, I guess? I mean, Blaze isn't a bad get, but she's not worth losing Vyse.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
I'd be content with another racer on par with Transformed. Panzer Dragoon got a stage in that game but I'd like to see an actual racer added to the roster, like Edge or Orta. Oh, and add Kiryu or Majima from the Yakuza series as well.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'd be content with another racer on par with Transformed. Panzer Dragoon got a stage in that game but I'd like to see an actual racer added to the roster, like Edge or Orta. Oh, and add Kiryu or Majima from the Yakuza series as well.

Yakuza feels like a lock for whatever the next big SEGA crossover is.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Oh wait does Team Sonic Racing have the transformations mid-race? I thought they ditched or changed that, and so stopped following the game way back. Maybe I was misinformed lol?

I also think some sort of crazy RPG could work as a Sega All Stars but I'm not really confident they will continue these games after Team Sonic

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Oh wait does Team Sonic Racing have the transformations mid-race? I thought they ditched or changed that, and so stopped following the game way back. Maybe I was misinformed lol?

I also think some sort of crazy RPG could work as a Sega All Stars but I'm not really confident they will continue these games after Team Sonic

Nope. Still ditched for the Team mechanic that they seem to have backed away from. An RPG could be cool, but I'm with you on dreading the fact SEGA will just let all but 3 of their IP's rot after this.