• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am poor-ish at the moment but need my synthetic oil change done. I've gone to Valvoline before and they were super professional, but even with a coupon the total was $108 for my old VW Passat.

I looked online and I see Walmart near me does them for $50 before tax... but I find Walmart to be a terrible company and scary cheap. I can't really afford much more at the moment, but if there's something comparable that's better, I'm interested.

I know my dealership does them, but it's about as much as Valvoline.

Where do you do it? How do you find the best offer?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
$108 for an oil change!? I've never paid more than $45 for full synthetic at my local shop!

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
$108 for an oil change!? I've never paid more than $45 for full synthetic at my local shop!

$45 is ridiculously cheap for a full synthetic oil change.

Close to $100 sounds about right when you go to a dealership or quick lube spot. I have a mechanic that does full synthetic oil changes for me for $30, but I bring him the oil. After the cost of the oil (I need about 8 quarts with my car), it comes to about $80.

If you're strapped for cash, I would highly recommend buying the oil and filter and doing it yourself. It's very easy. If my mechanic charged more than $30, I would likely just do it myself. I only have to do them once a year with how little I drive so I don't mind giving him $30 to do it.

P.S. I would never go to Walmart for any automotive related work.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Most I've paid for synthetic is $60 when I used to drive a Sonic. Usually get it at either my local dealer or Jiffy Lube which you can find coupons online for.

If price is that big of a concern then do it yourself OP the process is not terribly difficult unless you have a car that they've intentionally made it so. Sometimes it comes down to a tradeoff between whether money or time is most important and it sounds like money might be this time.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
$108 is highway robbery.

I do my wife's changes by myself. My car is a bit of a pain in the ass with a splash shield, so I have my local mechanic do it. A synthetic change with him is about $60.

Don't go to one of those corporate places if you can help it.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
$45 is ridiculously cheap for a full synthetic oil change.

Close to $100 sounds about right when you go to a dealership or quick lube spot I have a mechanic that does full synthetic oil changes for me for $30, but I bring him the oil. After the cost of the oil (I need about 8 quarts with my car), it comes to about $80.

If you're strapped for cash, I would highly recommend buying the oil and filter and doing it yourself. It's very easy.

I would never go to Walmart for any automotive related work.
Their regular price is $60 but they run an indefinite coupon which brings it down to $45. Guess I must be lucky lol

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
My 2015 Mustang goes to the dealership, get routine maintenance on it done at the same time. It takes 6 quarts of oil so it's like 50 something bucks. My old truck I do myself, costs like 30 and takes about an hour.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
I just do it myself, but I work in the industry so it's super cheap for me. Have seen/heard way to many horror stories about quick change oil places (i.e. Jiffy Lube/ Valvoline). Most places, including dealerships, use oil changes as a loss leader to gain your business and often run cheaper deals. I would just call around and get some prices.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
There's a local place that does synthetic for $25 but every time tries to tell you your car is a death trap and needs tons of extra work

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I'm at a dealership right now, stopped going to cheaper locations after my anecdotal garbage experiences with them.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart. The service is terrible, but I don't blame them. The price is too good to ignore and it's open on the weekend.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
For everyone saying "just do it yourself", not everyone has the luxury of a garage, driveway, or carport.

But you can probably find a car parts shop that will let you do it in their parking lot. This is where a lot of people do work on vehicles if their living situation doesn't allow it.

If your car comes with a jack, the only things you should need to buy for an oil change are oil, filter, at least one jack stand (two if you're jacking the whole front), and a ratchet with some sockets.

Edit: Keep in mind that cheap places hire cheap labor. Anecdotally, I've heard nothing but bad things about quick lubes joints and will never take my car there barring an emergency. If you need to take it somewhere, find a local garage with good reviews.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I take mine to Walmart. You get your tires, battery, fluids checked, and they vacuum your car.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've got a Subaru Outback which requires synthetic oil and everyone charges so damn much to do it that I started changing my own a couple years ago. Amazon has a setup on their app which tells you exactly what you need based on your car and it's less than half the cost. It also doesn't take very long, you just need a wrench, couple rags and a oil pan.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
For those that do oil changes themselves, where do you take the old oil?
Jiffy Lube lets you deposit used oil. I usually do my oil changes at my dads house because he has the space, and he has a barrel that can hold a few changes worth of old oil(he also has old classic cars that he changes the oil in himself). Once a year or so we load the barrel into a truck to dump it off at Jiffy Lube.

Oct 27, 2017
I buy the synthetic oil and filter I want (the Mobil1 15k mile oil/filter) and take it to my independent auto shop that I also use for any other repairs.

Costs are:
  • Mobil1 15k mile oil $30
  • Mobil1 15k mile oil filter $10
  • Cost for the oil change $15
The only reason I mention the brand is to point out that these are the costs even with a premium brand but you can use whatever you prefer. The car manual may recommend a particular brand but as long as it fits the oil spec requirements it will be fine. Over $100 for a synthetic oil change is ridiculous mark up.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I just take it to the dealer. It's not that expensive and at least I know there's a chance they'll do it right. I'd *never* let Jiffy Lube touch my car, even if the oil changes were free.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what viscosity oil and the capacity. Full synthetic is maybe going from $5-$10 per quart? Oil filters are at about $15. Then add labor and shop costs. So anywhere between $50 and $100 is possible and ok.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
But you can probably find a car parts shop that will let you do it in their parking lot. This is where a lot of people do work on vehicles if their living situation doesn't allow it.
Car parts stores will generally allow things like battery changes, but oil changes are a whole other mess, especially when you have to consider the disposal and potential for spills.

A DIY garage may be an option.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Car parts stores will generally allow things like battery changes, but oil changes are a whole other mess, especially when you have to consider the disposal and potential for spills.

A DIY garage may be an option.

At the end of the day, the money I am paying someone else to do it is $10-$20. Willing to pay that just so I won't have to worry about spills during replacement or recycling the oil.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This thread makes me feel good
I thought I was getting ripped off my whole life.
paid between$50-75

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I get free lifetime oil/filter changes and free state inspections at the place I just bought a used Rav4 from. PRETTY nice.

I'm guessing though they are always going to be recommending some optional service when I go in.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I buy walmart full synthetic for $15, high quality oil filter from amazon for $5, and get my local oil change shop to do the work for $20.