• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MathUser

Nov 25, 2017
He has a italian accent, but the Earth was never referenced in Mario series right? So where could he possibly have picked up a italian accent?

Edit: So in some Mario edutainment games Mario is from Brooklyn, but in YI he was born in the Mushroom Kingdom. So this must mean he have moved to Brooklyn for some period while growing up.

Edit 2: NES open tournament for NES takes place on Earth. Although the New Donk City citizens having brooklyn accents could be a retcon to explain the accent.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
He has a italian accent, but the Earth was never referenced in Mario series right? So where could he possibly have picked up a italian accent?

If aliens do exist, a lot of the things that exist on Earth would definitely exist on their planets as well. I would not be suprised if some aliens can speak languages similiar to our own.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
forget-about-it.jpg

OP
OP
MathUser

MathUser

Nov 25, 2017
Oh, so maybe his parents came from Earth and they had the accents and Mario gained it from being around them? Obviously he was raised in the mushroom kingdom cause SMW2 shows that he was dropped off there.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
He was originally from Brooklyn.

But then the Yoshi's Island games retconned the Mario/Luigi babies born with the stalk in the Mushshroom kingdom.

Feichaw

Oct 27, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom (Mario was born and raised there) is what we call Italy now.

Yes, the games happen in the past. That's why there are dinosaurs and magic in them.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
He is a first generation Italian immigrant to Brooklyn, who is living a mushroom charged fever dream and has lost grasp of all reality

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Mario was born in Brooklyn and worked as a plumper there, some day in his early 30s he found a special pipe and inspected it. It lead him to a parallel universe where mushrooms can talk and princesses bake cakes. The Mushroom Kingdom is what he calls home since then, not aging a day.

I think this happened around the year 1983 or something.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cartoons/Movie = Brooklyn
Games = Mushroom Kingdom (See Yoshi's Island ending)

I have no idea where his accent comes from for either scenario.

Well, probably from his parents, like most accents.

New Donk City, and really the whole Metro Kingdom, could easily be full of people with "Brooklyn" accents. Maybe Mario's parents are transplants from there. Or maybe Mario spent his formative years working in the New Donk sewers and picked it up from surly teamsters.

Oct 29, 2017
Well, probably from his parents, like most accents.

New Donk City, and really the whole Metro Kingdom, could easily be full of people with "Brooklyn" accents. Maybe Mario's parents are transplants from there. Or maybe Mario spent his formative years working in the New Donk sewers and picked it up from surly teamsters.

I kind of wish they had made New Donk City Mario and Luigi's hometown canonically.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Edit: So in some Mario edutainment games Mario is from Brooklyn, but in YI he was born in the Mushroom Kingdom. So this must mean he have moved to Brooklyn for some period while growing up.

Mario was the boss I believe that owned the building in Renton, where NoA worked back in the early 80s

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Usually when people are cagey and inconsistent about where they're from it means they come from St. Louis.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Born in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario was sent through a warp pipe to Brooklyn for his own safety. There he was adopted by a loving family who had a young son named Luigi. As Mario grew older he learned of his true heritage and returned to the Mushroom Kingdom along with Luigi.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mind of Shigeru Miyamoto.

I do believe he is of Italian ancestry

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The Brooklyn story hasn't been mentioned for like 20 years. There are kids out there who have likely never heard the idea before. Move on 80s kids.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
He comes from Italy but moved to Brooklyn and currently lives on the Mushroom Kingdom, just because Odyssey doesn't show it doesn't mean it don't exist

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
In the original canon, which covers Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, he's from New York.
Every other game in the franchise takes place in it's own more-or-less self contained universe, so Mario's origin varies from entry to entry. He's an actor in a play basically.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he was born in the mushroom kingdom but he was taken to brooklyn when he was younger, grew up there, and then he made his way back to the mushroom kingdom during plumbing job

so i dont know

maybe his parents were from italy and they found a warp pipe to the mushroom kingdom

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression it was Brooklyn, myself.
The Brooklyn story hasn't been mentioned for like 20 years. There are kids out there who have likely never heard the idea before. Move on 80s kids.
Just because it hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean it's not canon. As far as I know nothing has been shown to refute that either. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
His parents are Italian immigrants to Brooklyn. However, the stork delivering their children (as storks exist in Mario canon) somehow ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom, likely via an accidental warp pipe. Mario and Luigi spent their early years in the care of Yoshis, but it was not long before they made their way back to Brooklyn. Whether they ever reunited with their parents is unknown, but is likely, due to their accents. They eventually picked up a plumbing gig, where they were once again faced with the darker denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom, who had made their way into the sewers by warp pipe. Mario, filled with an innate sense of heroism (possibly instilled in him by his early adventures withb Yoshi) felt the need to investigate their presence, leading him to delve into the warp pipes and make his way back to the Mushroom Kingdom. Luigi, who had not had the early journies Mario did, never developed his sense of adventure, but his intrinsic sense of goodness led him to follow his brother regardless. Once there, the two discovered that the Kingdom was in peril, and that their princess had been kidnapped! The rest, you know...

SI_3DSVC_SuperMarioBros_image1600w.jpg