• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best Wario Land game ever created, tied to its original hardware due to the stereoscopic 3D effect of the Virtual Boy.
When in 2011 Nintendo released a free glasses stereoscopic 3D console it seemed obvious to me that Nintendo would remake Virtual Boy Wario Land for 3DS and yet we are in 2018, almost 7 years after the console launch, and nothing have materialized.
What a huge missed opportunity.
Now 3DS is in its twilight days and Nintendo stopped supporting the 3DS with internal developed games so I think a remake outsourced to an external developer would be a good and cheap title to support the console.

What do you think about the total lack of Virtual Boy games in the entire life of the 3DS?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a fantastic Wario game. I wonder how many people even played it.
Outside of tennis it was the best game on that thing.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
I honestly believe that the reason I currently smoke is because the light shield on my first VB reeked of secondhand smoke and I huffed it in while playing the fuck out of this game. It would be amazing if they brought it back. Hell, remaster all of the first party VB games into a retro collection.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but that game is too old and would benefit too much from a remake. Only remakes from last gen or newer are allowed!

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor going around that Skip was remaking VB Wario Land for 3DS just last month?
Probably debunked post-direct, but at least it shows that some fans are still thinking about it.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about this when I saw this thread. I really, really hope we get a remake soon. Or even just a new Wario Land game; it's going to be 10 years since Shake It! came out soon, and the series really deserves a resurgence.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
There was a 4chan rumor about a new Wario Land coming this year for 3DS.

Also Nintendo is not interested in making games that use 3D.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor going around that Skip was remaking VB Wario Land for 3DS just last month?
Probably debunked post-direct, but at least it shows that some fans are still thinking about it.
Nintendo did not reveal any 3DS games on the Direct, and Detective Pikachu localization was revealed, what, less than two days later? I'll guess if they are making it it would be a low-key reveal.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing Virtual Boy games on the 3DS VC is one of those ideas that were obvious to everyone but Nintendo. Just like releasing GBA ones (I don't buy the "can't suspend nor use save states" excuse, I can live without those features), it's a missed opportunity.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I too, would love to see this OP. Wario had his saddest generation ever. I think Game & Wario was the only title he got between both Wii U and 3DS, and it was far from great.

Oct 25, 2017
I would buy a 3DS just to play this. I still own a Virtual Boy just so I can play this every couple of years. The level design is so good, and the exploration is hardly matched by other 2Dish platformers.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
I have been asking myself the same question for years now. Nintendo should have released the Virtual Boy games for the 3ds virtual console but changed the colors to black and white or something with an option for red like the GB games on virtual console.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah, I feel like the 3DS was the perfect chance to bring back some VB games.
I remember reading someone was working on a homebrew emulator that had 3D support, but I don't think that ever went anywhere

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of the best platformers ever made. Bottom half of a top ten list, for sure. A long lost treasure.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I also don't understand why the Virtual Boy never got any VC or remakes on the 3DS. The crazy thing is that both systems even have very similar screen resolutions!

VB: 384 x 224
3DS: 400 (800 in 3D) x 240

A match made in heaven! There are some homebrew emulators for 3DS but they're not very good.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Straight up where's Wario? Haven't seen any serious entries for him in a while.

I had a blast with the Wario Land games on GBA, same for the Wario Ware on DS so I'm all for porting over past titles, but I'd love to see them make something new as well.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to play it since I've always heard wonderful things about it.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's kind of unreal the 3DS came and went and VB games were never ported to it or even put on VC. you'd think that'd be the perfect way to re-release those games with the 3D effect and without having to deal with the clunky VB hardware but Nintendo usually doesn't do things that make too much sense like this.

at this point it ain't happening. shame since i'd have liked to play that one since i never owned a VB.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is basically me right now.

But on the related topic of obvious ideas that Nintendo ever did:

Mole Mania DS/3DS sequel.

screenshot.png
- Top Screen
th
- Bottom Screen

THIS WAS LITERALLY A GAME DESIGNED FOR DS. RELEASED LIKE A DECADE EARLIER THAN THE CONSOLE'S ANNOUNCEMENT. why do you ignore such perfect ideasssss.

and you know that nintendo wont make a 4ds or whatever, so there's no more chances fuuuuuu.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
There was a rumor? I must have missed it.
Finger crossed.

I'm just baffled because 3DS is likely the first and last chance VB Wario Land have to be re-released.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is basically me right now.

But on the related topic of obvious ideas that Nintendo ever did:

Mole Mania DS/3DS sequel.

screenshot.png
- Top Screen
th
- Bottom Screen

THIS WAS LITERALLY A GAME DESIGNED FOR DS. RELEASED LIKE A DECADE EARLIER THAN THE CONSOLE'S ANNOUNCEMENT. why do you ignore such perfect ideasssss.

and you know that nintendo wont make a 4ds or whatever, so there's no more chances fuuuuuu.
I refuse to believe that there's not at least a prototype for a planned eshop game sitting around somewhere.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can live without them. But for Nintendo they can't release something like that.
They could have explained that the games are missing those functions in their eShop page, or brand them as something different from VC. I'm just sad that they were never released outside of the Ambassador program

I'm pretty sure it's not super cost-effective to develop an emulator just to run, like, four games
Maybe they could have sold them in packs, like Sega 3D Classics Collections. I would have bought them for curiosity's sake.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, it should have been a 3D Classic series like the first 6 games

A bigger one was the lack of Game & Watch ports on the DS.

(Okay technically there were the meager Club Nintendo compilations but they hardly count.)

They were released as DSiware too. I have 9 of them on my 3DS

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Remake? They would have to redo the whole game so it wouldn't be a remake by the time it's done. It's not like the plot is worth recycling or anything like that so no matter what it would end up as. You might as well call it a brand new game which is far more likely.

badmoviefan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It's a travesty that some of the Virtual Boy library hasn't been given the 3D Classics treatment. That's one of the first things I thought of when the system was announced. Would be a great way to pad it's final year(s) ...