• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Pantheon dies next?

• Egypt

Votes: 543 50.6%
  • Maya/Aztec

Votes: 149 13.9%
  • Japanese folklore

Votes: 68 6.3%
  • Chinese folklore

Votes: 37 3.4%
  • Monotheist (Kratos vs. Jesus lol)

Votes: 199 18.5%
  • Cherokee Indian

Votes: 21 2.0%
  • Hindu

Votes: 56 5.2%

• Total voters
Apr 25, 2020
Egypt is the dream for mine. I've always been fascinated with their mythology and the near endless stories that are told that can be drawn upon. Anubis, Set and Ra in particular are brilliant dynamics with Kratos and Atreus waiting to happen (GoW 2018 spoilers:)
especially when Atreus gets closer to his Loki persona.

Hindu is a close second, just for how batshit it could get, especially in the context of a GoW game.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Victorian-Era. I wanna see kratos looking dapper in a trench coat and a top hat.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
Abrahamic religion would be amazing, but will never happen, despite the games industry feeling Hinduism is acceptable despite being actively practiced. There's a lot of cool figures in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam for Kratos to fight. I'd also love to see these games depict some weird interpersonal relationship between Jesus and Yahweh.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Old Gods

latest

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos vs Jesus/God would be too controversial lmaoo.

Id honestly want to see how bad things would get

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I'm replaying GoW 2018 now and it hints at Egyptian or Chinese next from what I've gathered. Personally I'd be happy with anything as long as the games are as good as this one

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I would love Japan or Chinese but those are less known in the West so they would think less popular and so, yeah it's never happening.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think Aztec/Maya would suit Kratos more. Those are some damn bloodthirsty Gods.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Cherokee would actually be dope as fuck. Has there ever been a AAA game in that setting? Or any native american setting.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Hinduism would be awesome for the spectacle alone, but there is the little problem of it being actively practiced by millions, so that's a no-go.

Egypt it is!

Oct 27, 2017
An alien species' gods. I want to see Kratos fight off the Xenomorph God and Predators' deities in space.

EDIT:
According to Dall-E, "Kratos the God of War fighting the alien god in space" would look something like this:

This is only further selling me on Kratos killing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial's god.

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Kratos teaming up with Lucifer to beat the church and God would be cool to see
But its very offensive to kill deities of actively practised religions

Idk at this point, I want SSM to try a fantasy god of their own creation
go crazy with the lore

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if Kratos can finish the job that Ezio couldn't in AC2

But seriously, Egypt is the most likely. Tons of potential material to draw from and would make for some really good enemy types. Not sure if another gameplay reboot would be needed after Egypt, but take those lessons learned and remake GOW1 after that

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Cherokee would actually be dope as fuck. Has there ever been a AAA game in that setting? Or any native american setting.

Although the Native Americans in the game weren't Cherokee, Assassin's Creed III kinda sorta did it even though it was glossed over and the story didn't really dwell on it (or a lot of things really).

Apr 20, 2021
Abrahamic religion would be amazing, but will never happen, despite the games industry feeling Hinduism is acceptable despite being actively practiced. There's a lot of cool figures in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam for Kratos to fight. I'd also love to see these games depict some weird interpersonal relationship between Jesus and Yahweh.
as someone from muslim background I would live a game where Kratos ascends to heaven and fights weird angels and demons in his way through the seven skies but you know 1.4B people will rip Sony appart if they do this

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they won't do the ballsy thing have Kratos fight Jesus (with the Lance of Longinus he already has), let's just wipe Kratos off the board entirely and start over with a completely fresh mythology with no mass murderer baggage tied to the story.

Just get rid of Kratos. Pick a new God of War and start fresh. Please.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Egypt would be great and makes sense. I don't think it's a good idea to kill Islamic, Cherokee or Hindu gods as the angriest white man. (And yes, I know it's just ashes.) At least we'd need another protagonist.

OP
OP
Marcus Aurelius
Apr 25, 2020
as someone from muslim background I would live a game where Kratos ascends to heaven and fights weird angels and demons in his way through the seven skies but you know 1.4B people will rip Sony appart if they do this

That's why it will never happen, and I mostly included it as a joke (and to gauge how much interest there would actually be in it). It's no doubt the most fascinating proposition on the list but that also makes it the most dangerous. You can't count the amount of toes they would step on by going there.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The most realistic is a reboot of the franchise and going back to Greece.

That's the most unrealistic way forward, lol.
They just left Greece and now opened up the possibility to visit all kinds of different mythologies, among those ancient Egypt and Shinto Japan. They are not going back.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Isn't the origin of the world in Egyptian mythology from a god actually masturbating it out? And the Pharaos would have masturbation rituals into the Nile?
Well done if they actually manage to adapt that aspect somehow.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
egypt is my pick. lots of egyptian gods with really cool designs and black kratos would be awesome

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm more curious to see how they rope Kratos into killing another set of gods. His arc seems to be heading in the complete opposite direction going into Ragnarok

Oct 27, 2017
By the time a new cycle would begin, there would be enough people nostalgic for that setting.
They already made 6 games in Greece, and if the franchise was successful with a big mythology swap, as it was with Norse mythology, why give up that forward momentum just to start over again from square 1 because of nostalgia?

2018 already established that other mythologies exist like Japanese, Celtic, and Egyptian, any one of these would be much more interesting that going back to Greece to fight Zeus for the 3rd time.

They didn't reboot when it made sense, after Ascension, I don't see why they would now.