• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
She's Mary Magdalene's soul reincarnated into a lingerie-clad robot girl. Meanwhile, Mary Magdalene's actual body was exhumed and revived as an evil lingerie-clad robot girl, who shoots plasma balls from her tits.

I'm not making this up.

I feel like this might have something to do with it

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
6 games, 3 story arcs. Things pretty much changed after Ep. 1's release since they couldn't even finish Ep. 1 "properly" (Ep. 2 was originally part of it).
Takahashi NEVER said 6 games to be fair. Even in the first interviews about the series before Ep1 was out, he said nothing is particularly set in stone, and that he could imagine episodes presented in forms other than games. It's clear from the announcement trailer for Xenosaga Ep1 that "episode 1" was originally intended to cover much more of the Shion story, but they just ran out of time. So when he said that "maybe Episode 4 could be a novel" or something like that, he probably wasn't imagining that Shion's story itself would take 3 episodes to complete hahahahahha. :/

Niks

Oct 25, 2017

You have good taste.

That is a generic, awful, throw away, typical anime trash weeb waifu designed explicitly for the male gaze right there OP. Here's hoping she's in a junkyard where she belongs, along with all other outdated character designs that present men as people first and women as things first, people second.

giphy.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I'll always maintain that Xenosaga Episode 3 is one of the greatest RPg's on PS2. It was so damn good.

The music was outstanding... listen to this man.

I'd give anything for one more Xenosaga game where we get to lost jerusalem.

Watching this just brought on waves of nostalgia.

Thank you for posting this.

Xenosaga 3 was one of my favourite RPGs on the Playstation 2. Brings back some good memories just watching this and listening to some music.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be very blunt here. Xenosaga is terrible. Outright terrible. Terrible plot, terrible characters. It's the kind of game that gets worse and worse and worse with each new plot development. See, it's actually kinda cool for the first couple of hours. But then it just goes downhill so fast and the sequels... Yea.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
No, I am quite miffed you have your head up your ass lol. You not liking thing doesn't make it bad. I agree there are sexist elements to this character and Takahashi games but that doesn't mean people don't like the character (do you post this in 2B and nier threads?)

Calling something weeb anime garbage is so low effort and unoriginal, mean, and overtly condescending. considering this is a thread about jrpg characters.

Completely agree. What kind of a shit opinion was that? Like wtf? You don't like her, so we don't have to like her too? Get off your high horse.

To the OP: ABSOLUTELY NEED THE HD REMASTER!

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To make another game with KOS-MOS you'd have to address the ending of Xenosaga 3 it's world state and her state. None of those were left in a good place.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
She's practically an honorary Super Robot Wars character by now, since she was in Namco X Capcom and all the Endless Frontier and Project X Zone games, and those are all in continuity with SRW OG.

PXZ is practically one of the video game Valhallas, slightly under Smash Bros - many a character could only hope to reach that.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
For me she represents the threshold separating the change of era in Japanese anime and anime-inspired art from the gorgeous and very appealing 90s style anime art in Xenogears, to the modern more tropey, fanservicey stuff saturating a lot of the games out of Japan.

KOS MOS and the characters of Xenogears don't look like they're even from the same universe. They're totally incongruous.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the stoic almost devoid of personality female looking robot in high heels? At least Shion was better than her and no one remembers Shion.

KOS-MOS was basic anime tropes even 15 years ago.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
She's Mary Magdalene's soul reincarnated into a lingerie-clad robot girl. Meanwhile, Mary Magdalene's actual body was exhumed and revived as an evil lingerie-clad robot girl, who shoots plasma balls from her tits.

I'm not making this up.

Truly the best character in the universe.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eeeeeeh she isnt even that good

I'd like a character much more similar to Shion's Xenosaga one appearance

Like before they completely butchered her character
You mean before they completely and utterly sexualized her to hell and back and to hell again? Because she had gone from cute genius science-y girl to whatever she's wearing in Part 3.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not making this up.
Oh and who can forget how that evil lingerie clad robot girl was black while the good lingerie clad robot girl was white as snow? Gotta love that trope!

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I unabashedly love this scene.

KOS-MOS is fantastic, but it's the context of the story and her side characters that made her what she is. Hard to make a game with just her as protagonist. She is so powerful, she can't be in the spotlight for the entire story. Her awakening in Episode I, at the climax of the Gnosis attack, is one of my best gaming memories ever.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Because... they are not? Also Xenosaga is hardly "tropey, fanservice" saturated. It does have fanservice, but it's nothing compared to something like Xenoblade 2 or some more modern stuff. It doesn't stand out among the average PS2 RPG.

Really?!? I thought it was supposed to be set in the same gameworld continuity...?

You mean to say I've been deceived all these years? :-O

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shes best played on a body pillow. Hug her lovingly and eat you meals with her on the other seat. Make a poem, sing Evangelions theme to her. Love.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Really?!? I thought it was supposed to be set in the same gameworld continuity...?

You mean to say I've been deceived all these years? :-O
Yes. Xenosaga was going to be a reboot and retelling of Xenogears complete story essentially. The setting is clearly different anyway, with Xenosaga taking place in a world ruled by technology while Xenogears is much more "pastoral" (To quote Takahashi himself).

Not that Xenogears didn't have weird stuff anyway, like the Elements being a bunch of colored anime girls:

LDVcfYx.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes. Xenosaga was going to be a reboot and retelling of Xenogears complete story essentially. The setting is clearly different anyway, with Xenosaga taking place in a world ruled by technology while Xenogears is much more "pastoral" (To quote Takahashi himself).

Not that Xenogears didn't have weird stuff anyway, like the Elements being a bunch of colored anime girls:

LDVcfYx.jpg

I don't remember the above at all in Xenogears, however, it's really been ages since I played the game.

Love the artistry of the Xenogears characters though, even despite the more fanservicey ones like above. The Xenosaga art to me is hideous... like a lot of modern anime art incidentally.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You mean before they completely and utterly sexualized her to hell and back and to hell again? Because she had gone from cute genius science-y girl to whatever she's wearing in Part 3.

Yes!

She was one of my favorite female protragonists but then they made her super sexualized and had her do boneheaded things and I just couldn't do it any more

Kos-mos being Mary Madgaline also threw me right out too, really hated that era in anime and video games where it was cool to slap bad theology and Bible references haphazardly into works.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the whole Mary Magdalene's twist is overrated, it mostly exists to tie Xenosaga to "real-life" history more than anything. Her and chaos could have been any famous historical figures - The whole point of the story is that they are the Anima and the Animus archetypes.

Yes, sexy Mary Magdalene is lingerie will not stop being funny
but also really fucking cool
, but it's not like it wasn't foreshadowed, the series was littered with religious references from day one (And also I find funny that no one cares about this stuff when it happens in SMT :P)

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018

This. That the usual suspects lap it up isn't particularly surprising, though - when she came around was pretty much the time JRPGs jumped the shark when it came to female characters, pretty much.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Is Kos-mos a beloved character or something? Does she even have a *character*? Judging from Xenosaga 1 she's a dull lifeless nothing. Jump ahead 10+ years to the Project X Zone games an nothings changes. I genuinely can't find anything likable about her, only things to DISLIKE O.o

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Is Kos-mos a beloved character or something? Does she even have a *character*? Judging from Xenosaga 1 she's a dull lifeless nothing. Jump ahead 10+ years to the Project X Zone games an nothings changes. I genuinely can't find anything likable about her, only things to DISLIKE O.o

Maybe play the entire series before judging. Yes, she's beloved to Namco.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe play the entire series before judging. Yes, she's beloved to Namco.
I woulda played the whole series if XS1 hadn't been so darn bad at just about everything. An even then I played a ways into XS2 before giving up on the series. Her appearance in post-XS games have done nothing ta change my opinions anyhow, so ya its surprising to me she'd be beloved. I dunno, I guess some people can like that "character" archetype else they wouldn't keep making characters in that mold but I sure as heck can't stand it!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's a robot clad in lingerie and high heels who uncovers her tits to shoot her laser canon that's coincidentally a in between her breasts. And you wonder why she has so many fans even though she's as boring and dull as she is?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
She's a robot clad in lingerie and high heels who uncovers her tits to shoot her laser canon that's coincidentally a in between her breasts. And you wonder why she has so many fans even though she's as boring and dull as she is?

Boring and dull? Did you even play the games? She has super cool scenes and is badass as hell.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Bandai Namco should just partner Monolithsoft with Platinum and produce a high speed Xenosaga action shooter. Celshaded, Xenosaga Ep1 style designs, 60fps, think of the possibilities. Story, art, cutscenes by Monolithsoft, gameplay, level design, programming by Platinum, bring Mitsuda back for the music.
this sounds so good I wish it would happen.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
that actually looks a bit better because it sells the idea that she isn't human

but wow know i know where pyra's clusterfuck clothes come from, this is actually worse than xenoblade 2 designs

Its a trip how many people try to pretend like the Xeno games didn't feature pandering designs until XB2 its always good for a laugh. As you can see Pyra is literally Kos-Mos 2.0. Only difference is the large breasts which must give people amnesia I guess.

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
Its a trip how many people try to pretend like the Xeno games didn't feature pandering designs until XB2 its always good for a laugh. As you can see Pyra is literally Kos-Mos 2.0. Only difference is the large breasts which must give people amnesia I guess.
As someone with next to no understanding of Xenosaga, I think Namco still loves Kos-Mos and recycles her design elements for later characters like Elma and Pyra and it's really kinda boring.

I think most people feel like Xeno started at Xenoblade, and it had great designs and art, so that's why Xenoblade 2 was a big shock. I routinely forget Xenosaga and Xenoblade X even exist. Xenogears is sick as fuck though.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Her awakening in Episode I, at the climax of the Gnosis attack, is one of my best gaming memories ever.
This. So much this.
The atmosphere with the pod opening, the tension of what she'd do, her badass opening actions and the music. I loved that whole sequence so damned much.

Yup, all of this was so cool when I first experienced it. I replayed this whole first awakening sequence a whole bunch of times.

I'll always maintain that Xenosaga Episode 3 is one of the greatest RPg's on PS2. It was so damn good.

The music was outstanding... listen to this man.

I'd give anything for one more Xenosaga game where we get to lost jerusalem.

Yeah, KOS-MOS v4 was so good and Kajiura is fantastic.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Bandai Namco should just partner Monolithsoft with Platinum and produce a high speed Xenosaga action shooter. Celshaded, Xenosaga Ep1 style designs, 60fps, think of the possibilities. Story, art, cutscenes by Monolithsoft, gameplay, level design, programming by Platinum, bring Mitsuda back for the music.

I never knew I wanted this until now.

As much as I love Aigis you could probably argue her personality was, though. Or at least "romantic pandering" if that's a thing.

Also that Kos-Mos is probably the least flattering picture I've seen of anything ever.

I don't even remember what the purpose of Aigis was or where she came from. Her forced romance with the main character is about all I can recall. Everything about Persona 3 was pretty forgettable. I never got why she was a popular character. I don't remember her having any cool moments or an interesting story. KOS-MOS is definitely the more interesting character on her own. At least in my opinion.

Yeah, you really need to pick an action pose for her.

i2iCmcD.jpg

Her Episode 1 design is still my favorite. That's probably why I like Pyra's design so much too.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you really need to pick an action pose for her.

i2iCmcD.jpg

Her Episode 1 design is still my favorite. That's probably why I like Pyra's design so much too.
These action shots were so badass back then.

huh? The dub is great, only iffy voice I can think of is chaos in Episode I, and while KOS-MOS' voice in Episode II wasn't bad I thought it didn't match her
Totally agree, I loved the dub. I also didn't mind the first chaos VA either, probably since I was very used to hearing Derek Stephen Prince.
Yeah, I like Colleen O'Shaughnessy in a lot other roles but I couldn't get used to hearing her KOS-MOS in Episode II after loving Bridget Hoffman's voice so much, was so glad we got her back for another amazing turn as the character for Episode III.

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought it was interesting how the character designs/faces were different between all three games. First game was too stylized, second one was too realistic, and the third landed right in the middle where it had the right amount of both.