• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm actually not very familiar with Xenosaga, was 3 not actually conclusive of an ending to Xenosaga?

Not very, no. All villains are dead but there are hints of one alive and KOS-MOS loses her arms and legs and floats in space saying she will hopefully meet everyone again in Lost Jerusalem hinting that she would meet the rest of the party in a future game.
But the series was axed from 6 games to 3 because episode II sold poorly and had terrible changes so i think Takahashi included that ending scene as a teaser that she would come back.... I mean she did in Xenoblade 2.

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
Not very, no. All villains are dead but there are hints of one alive and KOS-MOS loses her arms and legs and floats in space saying she will hopefully meet everyone again in Lost Jerusalem hinting that she would meet the rest of the party in a future game.
But the series was axed from 6 games to 3 because episode II sold poorly and had terrible changes so i think Takahashi included that ending scene as a teaser that she would come back.... I mean she did in Xenoblade 2.
sounds like a raw deal...

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Bandai Namco should just partner Monolithsoft with Platinum and produce a high speed Xenosaga action shooter. Celshaded, Xenosaga Ep1 style designs, 60fps, think of the possibilities. Story, art, cutscenes by Monolithsoft, gameplay, level design, programming by Platinum, bring Mitsuda back for the music.

Now this is 10/10

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Xenosaga just carried on the worst parts of Xenogears. No thanks.

KOS-MOS was an overdesigned robot waifu, but even Shion got waifu-ed from 2 on. Let's not even begin about Momo.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Xenosaga just carried on the worst parts of Xenogears. No thanks.

KOS-MOS was an overdesigned robot waifu, but even Shion got waifu-ed from 2 on. Let's not even begin about Momo.
Please Elly was more "waifu" than Shion, Momo and KOS-MOS combined.

And Shion is like the opposite of a waifu character.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Are you sure? Episode II is the episode that everyone hates. It probably had an effect on people going into Episode III despite improvements.....

Edit: Time constraints, sales, and more were probably why it happened too. Episode III had lots of the story they planned for the future episodes which is why they jam packed it with stuff.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Are you sure? Episode II is the episode that everyone hates. It probably had an effect on people going into Episode III despite improvements.....
It was never intended to be 6 games in total. If anything, Shion's story was supposed to be just Episodes 1 and 2, but because Takahashi always writes too much, Episode 1 couldn't even cover all the events they wanted to by the time it had to ship. Episode 2's problems had little to do with the story being "cut down", and more to do with internal conflict about how to handle the bloat in the story. It wasn't handled well and in the end they needed 3 games to tell Shion's story and couldn't even fit Ziggy's backstory into that - which became Piper Piper.

Takahashi never said Xenosaga would be 6 games, but he did say he wanted to tell more than just Shion's story, and episodes could be in the form of other things other than games. But they never got there in any form because Xenosaga essentially became Shion's story and nothing else due to the amount of time they took to finish telling the story. So while Ep2 did suck, Takahashi's management of the series and his studio also contributed to the shifting changes in what Xenosaga was intended to be.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The Xeno series in general has the waifu problem. Elly from Xenogears is the OG. That's why I liked Shion being the lead in Saga, at least until episode 3 where she goes stupid over Kevin. Fucking Kevin

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
People thinking that future characters like Elma, Fiora, and Pyra are all rip offs of KOS-MOS are fucking insane.
Ripoff is a strong word, but Elma is definitely a KOS-MOS expy.

As for this thread, heh, not much to say I'm afraid. I'm not particularly fond of KOS-MOS myself (*) but the Xenosaga series and especially the third episode holds a special place in my heart.

(*) Her most interesting trait is her awkward relationship to Shion, but other than that she's your run-of-the-mill sexy killer robot. I must admit I dig her visual design though, especially ver 4. Of course I'd have preferred if she was less sexualized (like way less), but still.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
(*) Her most interesting trait is her awkward relationship to Shion, but other than that she's your run-of-the-mill sexy killer robot. I must admit I dig her visual design though, especially ver 4. Of course I'd have preferred if she was less sexualized (like way less), but still.
Her designs would have been just as good without the exposed thighs yeah. Like her episode 1 look works just as well if all of her body is armored like her leotard, or her look in the second game with all of her body being translucent instead of just parts of her limbs. And her final form would be badass if only she didn't have a garter showing on her legs.

I agree she works best as a foil to Shion. Their mother-daughter relationship is endearing. But outside of that she isn't developed much at all

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I agree she works best as a foil to Shion. Their mother-daughter relationship is endearing. But outside of that she isn't developed much at all
Yeah, the character works great within the group dynamic, how it's never clear who's the mother and who's the daughter in her Shion relationship, or how she seems to have an almost psychic link to chaos, but as a character she's not really developed much and I'm not sure if seeing her in her own game would be very interesting.

It's always neat to see her though. Like in PxZ games.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I will not have any Ep2 bashing in this thread
I really like Ep2. I mean, the battles are tedious and I didn't like the VA changes, and yet... I still love it.

It also has my favorite song from the whole series, I Am Free, from the last confrontation with
Albedo
. It's only about 100 seconds, and it's a rare track from the soundtrack that only occurs once and has nothing to do with any of the other themes.

As far as the intent to have six games, wasn't it initially supposed to be a trilogy (three parts to the story, with each part comprising two games), and the only character who would appear in all six games (in some fashion) would be KOS-MOS? Why do I seem to remember reading something about that way back when?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
KOS-MOS and chaos were always going to appear in some form, yes (Very obvious given Ep. III post credit scene).

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I really like Ep2. I mean, the battles are tedious and I didn't like the VA changes, and yet... I still love it.

It also has my favorite song from the whole series, I Am Free, from the last confrontation with
Albedo
. It's only about 100 seconds, and it's a rare track from the soundtrack that only occurs once and has nothing to do with any of the other themes.

As far as the intent to have six games, wasn't it initially supposed to be a trilogy (three parts to the story, with each part comprising two games), and the only character who would appear in all six games (in some fashion) would be KOS-MOS? Why do I seem to remember reading something about that way back when?

I think I'm the only person who thought the battles weren't tedious :( I honestly just grinded here and there and never, ever had trouble and battles were honestly fast and engaging 95% of the time. idk

And yes that track is amazing. Episode II is amazing #sorrynotsorry

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
There were intended to be 3 parts yes, I dunno if they ever said 2 games per part, or if it was just assumed, but the Shion arc was intended to be just Episode 1 and Episode 2 originally. Not every episode would be a game, but KOS-MOS and chaos were the constants in the series yes.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The episode 1 design is perfect. It's everything after and before the RE design that is garbage.