• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we even go there?

• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let it go! Let it go! Turn away and Slam the door!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Could be fun

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Good Good - let the hate flow through you!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is not gonna go the way you think

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Spoilers for Episode IX (obviously).

No matter where you stand on episode VIII, I'm reading a lot of people complaining about how episode VIII did leave JJ nowhere to go. That he had no choice but to bring Palpatine back and spend half the movie in different rushes for McGuffins.

Is that really true though? Was there nowhere left to go?
Lets post themes/ideas/story beats from VII and VIII that you would have liked see continuation from.
Also what do you think worked in episode IX? Maybe not in execution but as a general idea?

I'm not a screenwriter but imo there are some good story-hooks from VIII they could have followed up on:

• The legend of Luke vs Kylo spreads throughout the galaxy and leads people back to the resistance- small montage at the beginning.
  • Force sensitive people are reaching out to Rey. She's not sure what to do, because she feels like the old Jedi way was not the answer and doesn't feel ready to start training people yet. She is studying the Jedi books and develops her own way around them.
  • Kylo is devastated by the power that Luke showed and is searching in himself of what to do now - maybe he's killing of his anger and his emotions to become a better force user - somewhat like the Jedi behaved in the prequels. But by getting more powerful he's also closing himself off to what is happening around him - for example all the force sensitive people reaching out to Rey, the resistance growing and Stormtroopers deserting the First Order. He's becoming blind to the immediate dangers around him, but he's also a lot more collected then before (poetry - like the Jedi of old).
  • This it could even lead to a mutiny of a Star Destroyer unbeknownst to him and suddenly you have a resistance star destroyer and maybe Stormtroopers without their helmets that modified their armor somehow to show them belonging to the resistance (see - individual Clone Trooper Armor in the Clone Wars, would look cool and would also be a huge merchandise opportunity). Maybe Finn somehow coordinates said mutiny as a spy and is afterwards captaining the Star Destroyer bringing him full circle from himself deserting his post in VII.
  • Said Star Destroyer could jump in to the rescue at the end space battle that obviously has to happen.​
  • Poe learned his lesson and is trying to grow from his failure and begins to strategize more before running into battles blindly - growing into his new role as a general. Maybe he has to trust Finn to be able to pull it off in time to get into position with said Rebel Destroyer in the end.
  • The First Order might just spend resources into oppression without world destroying weapons for once. Maybe the Knights of Ren are split up and some pilot their own Star Destroyers while some are Kylo's "royal guard"
  • Etc.pp.
I'm not saying this is the way to go, but there are loads of story beats JJ could have taken and write his own spin on them instead of basically ignoring everything that happened in VIII and go where he went.

If this is too much Star Wars on era for the moment, feel free to close the thread - but maybe this could be a small little creative thing instead of just criticizing what IX did.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would open with the opening scroll line of

"The dead fuck!"

Just kidding. I'd maybe set up the conflict so now the First Order and Resistance are locked into a WW2 style neck and neck battle where the spark of the resistance has spread and the battle is now on even odds to create a different dynamic than the usual 50 Rebels versus 100000000 Imperials.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Probaby be terrible fan fic but I'll do civil war between the first order too and Hux and Kylo taking different sides. Also Kylo doesn't die or get redeemed, becomes a nobody like Rey was meant to be which would be ironic, like his names keep Ben Kenobi, he watches over Tatooine or a small planet. Controversial but I would gave Leia die between movies of natural causes, and how helpless the power obsessed Kylo feels over it that he has no say. Keep Rey as nobody but she leans to be proud of it.

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would open with the opening scroll line of

"The dead fuck!"

Just kidding. I'd maybe set up the conflict so now the First Order and Resistance are locked into a WW2 style neck and neck battle where the spark of the resistance has spread and the battle is now on even odds to create a different dynamic than the usual 50 Rebels versus 100000000 Imperials.
Probaby be terrible fan fic but I'll do civil war between the first order too and Hux and Kylo taking different sides. Also Kylo doesn't die or get redeemed, becomes a nobody like Rey was meant to be which would be ironic, like his names keep Ben Kenobi, he watches over Tatooine or a small planet.

I like both of these ideas. Either have Hux become an enemy and have a three way battle for Kylo or have equal footing for the Resistance and the First Order for once.

And him becoming a nobody is great! Potentially hard to pull off in a galaxy where you can't really get stuck anywhere and it would mean for him to lose his force powers, but it would be a fitting end for him.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you need a final boss like Palpatine, focus on the chaos of the first order in the civil war and The Knights of Ren as the most phychical challenge who were loyal to Snoke and trying to avenge him.

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What do y'all do with Leia?

That's a tough one, but I don't think the way IX handled it was bad. The idea that Leia becomes Reys teacher for awhile and doubles down on her as an experienced Force User is a good one in my opinion. It's hard to pull of with the limited footage that is available from her so that they pulled it off in the way they did was nice!

Ideally I would have liked for both of them to dive deeper into what they wanna set up with their potential new order. Would it be Jedi 2.0 or Jedi Academy? Would they go into a more open or grey interpretation of what to do with the force? They could set up a new status quo for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.