• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2684155-040.jpg

it's been 5 years, five ghostless years without a camera obscura, without girls getting lost in super haunted locales... 5 years without fatal frame, what the heck

Koei is getting more and more western praise and yet if you want to play the not-so-bad fatal frame 5 you need a wiiu and lot of money because the game has never been on sale! what is going on?! The FF5 protag was even in Smash!!

Just port FF5 to switch, and make another one so I can shut up for another half a decade

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested in the series, but aside from FF5, it's been difficult to get my hands on a copy to try it out.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Give Fatal Frame VI to me, Nintendo. GIVE TO MEEEEEEEE.

And by "give", I mean offer it at retail and I will gladly preorder a copy at full price.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I suppose that with its sales it is not a priority neither for KT nor for Nintendo

I do not know what studio will be doing right now.

WarioFan63

Oct 25, 2017
IL
If you wanna go strictly by main titles, there's a 6 year gap between 4 and 5, so it's also not the longest hiatus for Fatal Frame.

Nov 21, 2018
I'm pretty sure I played the first chapter of a fatal frame game on my Wii u with the option to buy the full game. Why are people saying it wasn't localized?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Bastards didn't give me a physical release for 5 in the US, so I was holding out on it until a potential release happened or it dropped in price digitally. It never dropped in price, and the physical release didn't happen. So I'd love if they just gave me that one on Switch or something at this point.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bastards didn't give me a physical release for 5 in the US, so I was holding out on it until a potential release happened or it dropped in price digitally. It never dropped in price, and the physical release didn't happen. So I'd love if they just gave me that one on Switch or something at this point.
latest

that game was such a wild ride honestly...

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
I never did buy Fatal Frame 5...I really should give it a shot, it'd be nice if they put it on sale one day though :(
I've always been interested in the series, but aside from FF5, it's been difficult to get my hands on a copy to try it out.
If you have a ps3, I think the first three games are available as PS2 classics. I'm not sure how good those versions are though. I'd love an updated collection of all the games though, I really enjoyed 1 through 3 on PS2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never did buy Fatal Frame 5...I really should give it a shot, it'd be nice if they put it on sale one day though :(

If you have a ps3, I think the first three games are available as PS2 classics. I'm not sure how good those versions are though. I'd love an updated collection of all the games though, I really enjoyed 1 through 3 on PS2.
I think the best version of 2 is the wii one

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid Nintendo never localized 4 because of that bug the studio didn't want to fix.
It's time make and HD port 4 indeed.
2 Wiimake was really good too.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I've played the first 4 games, and yeah, 4 is A LOT better than 3.

I actually think 4 is the best only because of how the mystery unravels itself. Just enjoyed soaking in the atmosphere and piecing the mystery together more than 3, which felt like it was trying too hard to include elements from FF1 and FF2 for fan service's sake.

But yeah, I was pretty stoked when Nintendo got exclusivity rights for Fatal Frame, tbh. I thought they could give it some more love and attention now that it was going to be the "Nintendo Horror" game, but they didn't even bother localizing the best Fatal Frame in the west, and Fatal Frame 5, from what I read, seems... bad?

I haven't touched that remake of Fatal Frame 2 though, which I should at one point.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nintendo of Europe has been kind to us Project Zero fans (Project Zero 2 Wii, Project Zero 5 physical collectors edition).
But I'm still mad at them for cancelling the Project Zero 4 complete localization one month before release due to the 100% but avoidable crash though.

:(

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Is 4 a lot better than 3?

3 just didn't click with me (I loved 1 and 2)
Personally, it's my second-favorite after FF1 (3 would also be my least-favorite if it weren't for FF5). 4 is the one that differentiates itself the most from the rest of the games, and I think in a lot of ways it has the most oppressive atmosphere. I found the implementation of Wii controls to be disappointing (it uses tilt instead of IR for aiming) and it never really felt right to me, but overall I feel the game overcomes this by how good it is otherwise.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Personally, it's my second-favorite after FF1 (3 would also be my least-favorite if it weren't for FF5). 4 is the one that differentiates itself the most from the rest of the games, and I think in a lot of ways it has the most oppressive atmosphere. I found the implementation of Wii controls to be disappointing (it uses tilt instead of IR for aiming) and it never really felt right to me, but overall I feel the game overcomes this by how good it is otherwise.
Hmmmmm, I may have to check it out.

So you would say 1 > 4 > 2 >>>>>>>> 3 > 5 ?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I was looking at my WiiU yesterday with the "free demo" of it. Apparently I don't even have 11GB of space left on it to get anyways... Still a full $39.99. I don't like to port-beg but putting it on Switvh would be a good idea (I'll actually buy it this time...)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at my WiiU yesterday with the "free demo" of it. Apparently I don't even have 11GB of space left on it to get anyways... Still a full $39.99. I don't like to port-beg but putting it on Switvh would be a good idea (I'll actually buy it this time...)
At this point, is it really port-begging when Nintendo is happily porting and upgrading Wii U titles for Switch releases on a pretty regular basis?

I'd love a Switch port of Maiden of Black Water, though. I enjoyed the Wii U release, but I'd appreciate a version that wasn't built for the GamePad integration.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, is it really port-begging when Nintendo is happily porting and upgrading Wii U titles for Switch releases on a pretty regular basis?

I'd love a Switch port of Maiden of Black Water, though. I enjoyed the Wii U release, but I'd appreciate a version that wasn't built for the GamePad integration.

I mean, I'm really hoping it has a good chance of coming (and having a second chance at life) with everything else getting ported. The Zeldas are rumored to port, so there's only a few exclusives left, really.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm really hoping it has a good chance of coming (and having a second chance at life) with everything else getting ported. The Zeldas are rumored to port, so there's only a few exclusives left, really.
The HD Zelda releases, Fatal Frame 5, and TMS are really the only Switch games I'd ask to be ported at this point.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have 3 much closer to 2 than 5. I still liked 3 overall; 5 was very disappointing to me and I think it's kind of a mediocre game.
Well, at least I was close :P

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely give 4 a try, and I might come back to 3 some day.

I think my issue with 3 is it reminded me of Silent Hill 4. The segmentation of the game killed some of the fluidity of it, if that makes sense.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure we'll get one. nintendo and KT for some reason are still invested in this series even tho it doesn't do too hot. in the mean time some ports of the old game would be a nice way to prepare for a new entry.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I think my issue with 3 is it reminded me of Silent Hill 4. The segmentation of the game killed some of the fluidity of it, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. That's part of it for me too, although I appreciated what they ended up doing later in the game during the daytime/"awake" segments. For me it was more that after playing 1 and 2, it felt like they were going through the motions a bit. 4 managed to be a breath of fresh air while still staying true to the series. Despite switching to an OTS camera, it wasn't a massive departure in the same way something like Resident Evil 4 was.

That said, 4 (and 5) have multiple characters that you switch back and forth between, so those games are probably even more segmented structurally than 3 was (although not in the same Dream/Awake/Dream/Awake format of 3).

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
is 5 a game that can be easily ported, or is it too dependent of the wii u game pad?
while it didn't support Off-TV Play, the gyro camera controls were optional so... not a big deal ultimately.

tumblr_o54o9gaizG1rsgoqro6_r3_400.gif

4bac0b_8c9669dd66374749891a567ff34b3075.gif

old OT for MoBW: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fatal-frame-project-zero-maiden-of-black-water-ot-redux-pokémon-snap-u-after-dark-edition.55457/

Fatal... Frame... 6. Fatal... Frame... 6! Fatal Frame 6! *starts pounding on table* FATAL FRAME 6! FATAL FRAME 6! FATAL FRAME 6!

Speaking wildly, Nintendo could throw a bunch of money at Red Candle Games and see what they would come up with. Imagine Fatal Frame, Devotion-style, on the Switch.
this is Koei Tecmo's franchise. NIntendo can't just hand out cash and have someone else make a game with an IP they don't control or own.

Dec 2, 2017
What happened was they kept making bad or forgettable games so the series was sidelined. The first two were some of the best horror games ever made. 3 was for serious fans only. The Wii U game was outright boring. The portable game was awful. I've never played the Wii game but it didn't get sterling reports either. It's time to admit this series only had two good games in it 15 years ago & let it rest.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The IP has been pretty badly handled in the west since it moved to Nintendo platforms. 4 wasn't localized at all despite being a pretty decent game (and rumors of the localization being mostly done but it being too buggy to pass certification or something), and 5 had the censorship controversy and didn't even get a physical release in North America. The Wii port of 2 didn't get brought to NA, either.