• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Back in January 2017 Nintendo talked for the first time about their revolutionary online service for Nintendo Switch. Kimishima stated "you will be able to invite friends to play online, set play appointments and chat with them in compatible games, all from your smart device".

Sounds cool. Maybe I'm out and about and suddenly I want to play Splatoon or Smash with my friends. So I could set a play appointment for the night and invite them. And even when I'm at home, let's say I was playing Mario Oddyssy, I could invite friends to play another game on my phone without changing the game until the party is set up. The app seemed like a great idea when it was revealed.

Some days latter, Reggie chimed in. He said the infamous phrase: "there are no friend codes in what we are doing". Then he said another thing I belive most people forgot: "the amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment". As you may know, neither of those games have dedicated servers... and long live the friend codes.

Then in June 2017, they declared the service. In the press release, they still stated that the
"app will help players chat with their friends during online matches in compatible games, set play appointments, and invite their friends to join them online". Oh and they also mentioned Nintendo eShop deals for subscribers: "special offers that may include discounts on select digital games and content".

Now we'll be entering 2019 pretty soon. There's no play appointments. Splatoon 2 is the only game that supports invites. There are no eShop deals. There are no servers. But of course there are friend codes.

They promised those features for fall 2017. They delayed the service a full year yet still they couldn't deliver most of them. What happened? Did they give up with their service? Why they kept lying to us, multiple times, about features that would never come?

I don't think they just didn't have enough time to develop the service... Something must have changed internally and Nintendo and now they have very different plans. I belive the ambitious online service they talked about just no longer exists.

YLPXt6Gl.jpg

The only accurate thing from all those interviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is constantly years behind the online front. They probably (still) don't know what they're doing.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Also where the hell are the deals they kept talking about for NSO subscribers? This online system is a joke for that. However, I agree and am upset at how lacking and inefficient the online is. Smash Bros is laggy despite it being a popular online game for example. That also doesn't include the features that are lacking or are executed terribly(like voice chat oh god). My biggest disappointment is he games per month. 3 NES games doesn't cut it, and should be at least 10 and should have rumblings of later Gen games.

All in all I agree and I'm disappointed I got it.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Their online service division is grossly incompetent. There is no other way to describe it after all these years.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never expect anything but very basic online features with Nintendo, they are absolutely incompetent on that front.

Me and a friend use our PS4 to party chat while we're playing Switch games lol, I shit you not.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So the only thing you didn't get is play invites and "special discounts."

In return you got cloud saves and free NES Online with special exclusive versions and online multiplayer build in.

Plans change, it is hardly something you should get this worked up about, tbh.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
As well as the mess that is online inviting on Switch (something Nintendo seem to have no interest in fixing), I was disappointed that there were no black friday deals for NSO subscribers. I didn't really expect much from NSO but it still managed to be underwhelming and as it stands I won't be renewing.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

In return you got cloud saves and free NES Online with special exclusive versions and online multiplayer build in.

As someone who only cares about being able to play games online, there is virtually nothing different before and after Nintendo Online became a paid service. It's dumb and shouldn't be excused.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they initially had the intention of doing all that. And then, people started paying even though none of that stuff was in. Then they thought, eh, why bother if people are paying anyway ?

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
It seems they changed stuff a lot since their first talk about the service. Lots of stuff is missing that they promised, they need to address that. I want to know why they didn't keep their promise. At least we got stuff we didn't know we'll get, like cloud saves. At least, I wasn't aware about that a year ago.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo promises the world and charged for it without giving any signs that they'd be able to keep those promises and, on the opposite, giving some clear signs that they didn't have any idea what they were doing (like the voice chat app that requires your cellphone).

I love Nintendo games but I don't understand why people find it acceptable for them to charge for such a lackluster service.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
No it's ok

Nintendo is just being unique in giving a terrible and substandard online service.
It's good to be unique

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It will take awhile, nintendo is a small indie dev they can't do all of that. Dedicated servers? nah that's too hard

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Nintendo generally doesn't know what it's doing with online gameplay. They're behind the times, and have put themselves there by focusing more on gimmicks than anything (other than relying on the same franchises and ports of the same games).

It's not a surprise.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is such a small company you really can't expect them to have a modern online infrastructure.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who only cares about being able to play games online, there is virtually nothing different before and after Nintendo Online became a paid service. It's dumb and shouldn't be excused.
That part of the free service was always the same as the paid service, except it was free for a limited time. They were very explicit in this. So even that I feel is nothing to get worked up over.

Is it a mediocre service? Perhaps so. Is it mediocre for the price in relation to competitors? That is for individuals to decide. But I find the lack of a date planner function to be a very minor thing.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reggie is so full of shit it's insufferable. How many time has he lied in straight face? Yet he's still celebrated because MEMES.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation app can do everything what Nintendo proposed and you still don't need a smartphone to have a very great online experience and online service. I will refuse to subscribe to such a nonsense and dumb service. Still, I have no hope that anything will get better.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has changed lol but I did get a bunch of nes shite this first 3 months I would value at 2$ for the lot. 2019 will be great though!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Online was a mistake (so far). I love Nintendo but regarding online infrastructure they are so embarrassingly bad it's unbelievable. Why don't they get some help if they don't know how to pull it off properly?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo isn't incompetent they just know that they can have the worst online experience in the industry and people will still throw money at them because the service is such a "value."

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I will always remember in the GC era Nintendo magazines in the UK pleading with Nintendo to focus more on online and that it was the future of gaming, looking on in envy at even the Xbox live original and PS2 online. Nintendo's response was always, at the time, gamers don't want online.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand this logic of "they're so far behind". I mean how is that even possible for a company that big and wealthy? Surely after all this time you would just hire some people who weren't "behind".

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, the service is incredibly cheap so no one should really expect much.

On the other hand, they promised things and didn't deliver, and even with the service being so cheap...it doesn't provide a lot of value either. The eShop deals thing being the most glaring omission, especially since Nintendo is so stingy with discounts already.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"It's only $20 a year! What, you can't afford it!?"

This is so bad that yes, $20 is way overpriced. I got a couple months free using my gold coins and bought the 12 month for Smash and goddamn it's a ripoff. But we gots Mighty Bomb Jack on the NES thing! People love that game, right?

Right?

Right.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

NES games were promised way back when they announced this service at the Switch reveal event.
You know what else was promised?
SNES games
So they actually undelivered on that promise too.

Why am I going to give them credit for cloud saves, that is a feature that should not be locked behind the online service. Switch is the only console that charges you for the only way to back up saves. Fuck giving them credit for that

It's a terrible service. Embarrassing that they're charging for it as the features are as barebones as it gets.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand what we are paying for. Smash online runs like absolute shit STILL.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
for honor, friday the 13th, I'll check more if you want
No that's okay. I really thought there weren't many. Haven't paid close attention but I recall ppl being annoyed about the lack of them in cod or other popular games. Isn't dedicated servers the exception rather than the rule on consoles?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They'll eventually reach the point where they say fuck it and copy Microsoft just like Sony, they've already mastered the yearly sub part. Just need the working service aspect.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Even 2004 Microsoft would be an improvement.

Hell, I'm not even sure whether current Nintendo isn't a step back from where it was during the Wii days, what with the removal of the Virtual Console.

2004 Nintendo would be an improvement.

Metroid prime hunters had better online than the average switch game. It had full voice chat in-game and you could add friends from people you got matched with.

2002 Microsoft would be miles ahead of what we have now.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
It does seem like somewhere along the way something went haywire. I refuse to believe that this basic ass service was their endgame. It's hilariously awful compared to everything else I play games on.