• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
No that's okay. I really thought there weren't many. Haven't paid close attention but I recall ppl being annoyed about the lack of them in cod or other popular games. Isn't dedicated servers the exception rather than the rule on consoles?
Pretty much. but it's not something that nintendo should rule out, would love that for splatoon 2.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No that's okay. I really thought there weren't many. Haven't paid close attention but I recall ppl being annoyed about the lack of them in cod or other popular games. Isn't dedicated servers the exception rather than the rule on consoles?

Cod shits all over ninty online games combined if we're talking quality and they are also in another league looking at playerbase. The infrastructure isn't there so they should charge 1.99 a year really.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
They'll eventually reach the point where they say fuck it and copy Microsoft just like Sony, they've already mastered the yearly sub part. Just need the working service aspect.
But that requires putting a hint of effort on the online, unlike placing a gate to play online and free 30 year old games.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Think someone did one on Final Fantasy about "why did square enix lie about it being a big year for FF??"
Seems childish to me.
That situation seems different from a company initially advertising features that ultimately weren't implemented. If it's just complaining about lackluster news or announcements then yeah, it could be seen as childish.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
When the switch online renewal rates drop considerably next year, I think that will be their wake up call. Especially as investors take note to a them losing that revenue chunk they will have to report.

I'm hoping the young blood they added does some good change, because it's really not about risk at this point. But I doubt it improves drastically until switch 2.0

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In 2018, we still have friends codes, no chat system on the system in self, no blutooth headset support, no system wide lobby/party system etc. It really blows my mind how ass backwards Nintendo can be sometimes. Its not like they don't have the resources to implement decades old features, they just don't care about their players. As long as the $$$ rolls in, they will put forth the least amount of effort they can get away with.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
As someone who only cares about being able to play games online, there is virtually nothing different before and after Nintendo Online became a paid service. It's dumb and shouldn't be excused.
Haha what. If that's all you care about, why is x feature being implemented more important to you than y?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Well they got people to pay a subscription service this generation - gotta wait till next generation for the rest of the features.

lol

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I played online last night for an hour and a half and had very very nearly indistinguishable lag when playing with my friend, both on wifi.

I played a bunch of online on wiiu and even playing with local players it ranged from unplayable to sortof playable.

From where I'm sitting it definitely feels like they've improved a lot. And tbh i dont use system messaging ever, and I kind of feel like more than half the people asking for it dont use it either. Why would you when theres 1000 other ways to message and chat that are easier

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather pay more and actually get something in return for my money besides a handful of 30+ year old games.
The go ahead?

I had friends on xbox that got smash and tried to get online, I said you gotta pay to play online he sees its $4 a month and says that aint shit. Yall make things way bigger than it is.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The go ahead?

I had friends on xbox that got smash and tried to get online, I said you gotta pay to play online he sees its $4 a month and says that aint shit. Yall make things way bigger than it is.
I can't find the Better Online Package anywhere on the eshop. It's only showing the standard online, any idea where the Better Online Package is?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really affect me as someone that doesn't play a ton of games online with friends, but it's clear it needs improved. The good news is Nintendo has acknowledged it needs to be improved.

Kimishima:
"Nintendo Switch Online will allow individual users to participate in competitive and cooperative online play, […] use a smart-device application in which you can meet up with your friends in the online lounge and use voice chat during online play, play their favorite NES games online, and back up their save data so they will be ready in case anything happens to it. We want to further improve the content for services, such as [Nintendo Switch Online], to make it worth paying for."

Here's more when pushed by investors:

"Our aim is to provide consumers with a variety of ways to play and the ability to use the system in a more convenient way. I will have to ask for your patience until we are ready to discuss further details."

Hopefully these improvements occur sooner rather than later.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Voice chat can be done by the system without any external app or anything, Nintendo just leaves it up to the developers as they don't push it themselves.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
When the switch online renewal rates drop considerably next year, I think that will be their wake up call. Especially as investors take note to a them losing that revenue chunk they will have to report.
Depending on which games are released and utilize the service next year, I don't know if there will be a significant drop off of subs.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not delivering on promised services doesn't necessarily mean they were lying. It's likely that the stuff mentioned in the June 2017 pr was intended to be included but couldn't be for some reason. It's why those features was never brought up again, in the year ahead of its launch. They fucked it up so much, there's no need to misrepresent the worst subscription products on the market.

Those Reggie quotes would make Trump blush though

Jun 26, 2018
Have they updated their "app" in any significant ways since the start of online?

I still only see Splatoon in it, it's basically worthless.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
And tbh i dont use system messaging ever, and I kind of feel like more than half the people asking for it dont use it either.

Ah yes, sending messages, that niche feature barely anybody uses.

Two things I'm impressed Nintendo was able to pull off :

- Making a $20 a year service feel grossly overpriced
- Making some of their fans believe they're actually getting a good deal out of this absolutely shameful effort

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Not delivering on promised services doesn't necessarily mean they were lying. It's likely that the stuff mentioned in the June 2017 pr was intended to be included but couldn't be for some reason. It's why those features was never brought up again, in the year ahead of its launch. They fucked it up so much, there's no need to misrepresent the worst subscription products on the market.

Those Reggie quotes would make Trump blush though

But how hard can it be to remove the friend codes and get dedicated servers for their big 3 online heavy games (Mario kart, smash, Splatoon)?

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
With the exception of Mario Kart, I really don't think that Nintendo needs to implement dedicated servers. The lack of dedicated servers in those games should be the least of anyone's problems in regards to the lackluster Nintendo Switch Online service.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My favorite part about Nintendo expecting people to pay for online is that their multiplayer games still lack online full online multiplayer options (Super Mario Party) or just don't have online multiplayer at all (New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe).

If I'm paying for an online service, I expect them to put more effort into making sure their multiplayer games offer online multiplayer if it already has offline multiplayer.

Jun 17, 2018
Why are people acting brand new when it comes to Nintendo online though? It's been this way for a long time, no shock here

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the most disappointing things of this year imo. Should have been a lot better

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not gonna defend the online service, but this isn't lying. I see Reggie being incorrect or misinformed and features they haven't implemented yet, but no outright lying.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting brand new when it comes to Nintendo online though? It's been this way for a long time, no shock here

The OP kind of explains the reasons why. Nintendo specifically stated they were working on it. We've seen other companies improve their offerings, so it's not super farfetched to expect that Nintendo may have as well.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
It's especially painful to some folks because of the fact that you have to pay for it. A lot of people call for Nintendo to get with the times, but then the first thing they think is a good idea to take after from Sony and Microsoft is... paid online, rather than other, better features.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But how hard can it be to remove the friend codes and get dedicated servers for their big 3 online heavy games (Mario kart, smash, Splatoon)?
Not all games benefit from using dedicated servers for their online infrastructure. All fighting games are p2p and Splatoon's challenges are not simply because it went with a p2p system. Mario Kart would benefit the most of those three, but at the same time it's a relatively simple game with the least challenges posed by latency. so there is not much to gain from it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I mean playstation online aint offering nothing better than before. Not $60 better. You can do it all on PC for free so anytime yall talk about better online look at the PC first before start talking
whataboutism... you think I don't hate paid online in general? I play all of my online games on pc

Oct 25, 2017
If SNES games aren't in the classic catalogue and we're still getting the shittiest online experiences known to mankind by September 2019, I'm not going to re-up next year. Joke's on me for paying up in the first place and hoping Smash would be a decent online experience.

My favorite part about Nintendo expecting people to pay for online is that their multiplayer games still lack online full online multiplayer options (Super Mario Party) or just don't have online multiplayer at all (New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe).

If I'm paying for an online service, I expect them to put more effort into making sure their multiplayer games offer online multiplayer if it already has offline multiplayer.

Also this. What exactly am I paying for at this point? With Smash sucking and no upcoming online first-party games that we know of, MK8 and Splatoon are the only games I'd ever want to play online, and even then I don't play those often enough to justify $20 a year. That's 2 months of Game Pass that I'm positive I would use way more than Switch Online for a full year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're expecting anything from Nintendo online functionality, you're probably expecting too much.

Never expect anything but very basic online features with Nintendo, they are absolutely incompetent on that front.

Me and a friend use our PS4 to party chat while we're playing Switch games lol, I shit you not.

Shit... I can remember having to do this same thing with my mates using Xbox 360 back when Brawl came out on Wii.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
With 20 bucks a year, you're not getting a good service at the start.

You will have to wait a loooooooong time to get something decent.