• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Fire Emblem game should I play first?

• Awakening

Votes: 440 85.4%
  • Fates - Birthright

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Fates - Conquest

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Fates - Revelation

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Echoes

Votes: 53 10.3%

• Total voters

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It looks like it takes place in some kind of school setting right? I saw the trailer but haven't followed up on it. School setting doesn't really scream FE to me haha. Screams, every other cliche anime trope incoming. I'm hoping I'm way off base though, because the armies fighting around the battles looks fantastic, among other things.
That fact is potentially troubling, but everything else about the game so far feels like it's going in the opposite direction thankfully. The character designs so far have all been very practical and not fan service-y, the story and setting seem much more serious and well developed. We have actual location names, a deciferable world map and solid details about the setting. And overall it seems to be taking more design cues from Echoes than anything else.

But yeah there is always the possibility of some high school themed pandering and fan service. Hopefully we'll see more very soon and get a better idea at the direction this are going.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I understand that people who hated permadeath, the newer games are certainly more welcoming to them. I'm mainly referring to people who are indifferent. People who just want good games. I don't condemn casual mode, it certainly has its place. I was just arguing that 7 and 9 are perfectly acceptable/good places to get into the series, so long as they can deal with permadeath.
What you're saying and what he's saying aren't contradictory.

There's no question that Casual Mode provides enormous accessibility to the franchise for people who would otherwise be intimidated, but for those who aren't, entries from FE7 onward are viable starting points, and have exceptional tutorials designed for newcomers.
That's fair enough. I know that there are longtime FE fans that shit on Awakening for supposedly lobotomizing the franchise, but my only argument was that all the 'git gud' in the world doesn't matter to people that freeze up at the more punishing aspects of the older games. Sometimes, older fans either forget this, or they refuse to acknowledge it.

Those other games you listed are good starting points, too. The GBA entries aged very well, and FE9 and 10 still play fine.
Radiant Dawn is quite possibly the single worst FE game post Blazing Blade that could be recommended to anyone as a starting point.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I didn't even know the upcoming FE title has a school setting. I was already expecting to be disappointed, lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, you start with 9 and play 10 after it because it's the sequel. So you're right, and I should have clarified that in my post.
Man, even then, I wouldn't recommend it.

I love Path of Radiance, but for me, Radiant Dawn was an exhausting, joyless slog with worse characters, made various PoR characters worse (Ike bizarrely felt like he regressed after PoR), has a story that goes in too many directions for its own good, and has the most ridiculous difficulty curving and spiking of any Fire Emblem I've ever played.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know the upcoming FE title has a school setting. I was already expecting to be disappointed, lol.

"School setting" might be exaggerating. The three Lords — royals of different countries — appear to be students of the player avatar at a military academy, but I would be surprised if that aspect of the game extended beyond the tutorial chapters, before the greater conflict erupts.

This ain't gonna be Persona Emblem. :P

We hope.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Awakening -> Fates (Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelations, or any of the three, ignore Revelations if any) -> Echoes

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a legitimate reason people don't like Fates other than waifus?
The writing in the game(s) is just, well, not good. It's a mess of ideas that are never brought to their full potential and in some cases relies on all of the characters just being stupid in concert.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like all of them, but I loooooooove Echoes more than the rest. I don't know why, but it seems like people slept on Echoes.

Awakening is easily the most popular game, hence the poll results.

Also lol...who voted for Revelation?

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
For my opinion:

Awakening is the most newcomer friendly but can instill bad habits for revisiting prior games. The story is good, the map design/mechanics not so much.

Fates is a... complex game in terms of quality, especially Revelation. Birthright has a good story if basic but shitty maps. Conquest has good maps (mostly) but a shitty story. Revelation is the worst of both worlds.

Echoes is fantastic and nails the look and feel of Fire Emblem far more than any of these 3DS games could wish to, but the mechanics are archaic and the maps are as bad as Awakening and Birthright.

Honestly though, if you have a Wii U or are a 3DS ambassador, try out Fire Emblem (on Wii U) or Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (for both) for the GBA. They paint a great picture of the series, are tough but fair, and it is easy to jump into any game older or newer with them.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

• The stories are impressively bad. The best branch from a gameplay perspective has the worst writing.
  • The world-building is non-existent (the world doesn't even have a name, nor the countries visible borders).
  • The female character designs are hyper-sexualized.
  • The supports are often shallow (due to their quantity), railroading into S-rank marriages that beget literal hyperbolic time chamber children.
  • While there are some top tier map designs, there's also a general over-reliance on gimmicks.
  • I don't personally like the pair-up system, because potentially halving the army and turning units into stat sticks doesn't appeal to me.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

Here are some reasons I and/or others dislike the game(s), off the top of my head: writing, gimmicks, poor maps (mostly in Birthright/Revelations but even Conquest has a few big duds), the new weapon system, censorship/localization (not going to get into that one), story, characters, tone, over-reliance on supports, shoe-horned children, forced Awakening coattail riding, takes focus away from other games in the franchise (not the game's fault, but people do fault it with that), non-linearity, good ending locked behind dlc, simplifaction of mechanics, the pair-up system is still problematic albeit less so than in Awakening, expensive DLC, half-baked multiplayer that values grinding over tactics, Corrin is a Gary Stu/Mary Sue, fanservice is too extreme/game is embarrasing to play in public, villains lack nuance and complexity, Nohr is too evil and Hoshido too good, quantity over quality of supports, still rout the enemy biased on the whole, and yes, a shift of focus into waifus that is willing to destroy canon relationships, undermine characters and stand against the whole point of the story to make players able to marry their brothers and sisters.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It has, no exaggeration, the worst professionally written fictional narrative I've ever experienced. So yeah I'd say that there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the game.
I've said it before, but as someone who doesn't really care about story in games, I couldn't bring myself to finish Fates. To think someone was paid to write that blows my mind. Characters (design and otherwise), story, interactions, pairing, My Base, petting your fiancée, it basically killed my interest in FE.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Echos' gameplay is kinda dull, but the presentation is better than Awakening, so go with it. After that you can play Conquest or the GBA FE.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. World-building doesn't equal naming the world or drawn borders on a map. Fates has a lot of it just thanks to the different scenarios.

World-building doesn't equal building up the world?

The player is incapable of being grounded in Fates' setting because they player has no geopolitical bearing. Countries appear out of no where chapter-to-chapter as the plot demands and disappear just as quickly.

Establishing basic borders informs power dynamics and shifts, travelling routes, dramatic stakes, culture, etc..

Really, we have as much or more information about Fodlan's workings than we do Fates' unnamed continent, just by virtue of having a map and short description.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean gameplaywise its great. it introduced a lot of new mechanics like buffs and debuffs while getting rid of archaic stuff like the weapon durability. conquest also had great map design. i also liked the variety of units.

story was horrid though.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Awakening is probably one of the best "jumping on" points for any long running game series ever.

It has some pretty significant problems that are way more apparent once you've played other games in the series, but for newcomers it's perfect.

Fates is an absolute mess. There's a lot of decent stuff in there, some great advancements to the gameplay, some pretty good characters (that are severely under-utilised), but overall it's apparent that they did not know how to capitalise on awakenings success. If you really want to play them, do so after awakening, and don't get all three at once.

Haven't personally played Echoes but I hear it's brilliant. Although I also hear it's kinda archaic and maybe just not a good place to start.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awakening is probably one of the best "jumping on" points for any long running game series ever.

It has some pretty significant problems that are way more apparent once you've played other games in the series, but for newcomers it's perfect.

Fates is an absolute mess. There's a lot of decent stuff in there, some great advancements to the gameplay, some pretty good characters (that are severely under-utilised), but overall it's apparent that they did not know how to capitalise on awakenings success. If you really want to play them, do so after awakening, and don't get all three at once.

Haven't personally played Echoes but I hear it's brilliant. Although I also hear it's kinda archaic and maybe just not a good place to start.
its not that bad. the story is horrid but the gameplayis excellent and the characters are all well designed.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played fates but the negative reactions to the story are visceral- mind explaining what makes this story so bad in particular?
The main bad guy is so obviously evil but the Main character doesn't accept it. And when he does, he can't tell anybody in his party, because they gave the stupidest reason to justify this.

Talking Conquest here.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I've never played fates but the negative reactions to the story are visceral- mind explaining what makes this story so bad in particular?
Its phenomenally bad.

Most bad stories have either a single problem which unravels everything, or a string of connected issues.

Fates has dozens of completely unconnected problems. The timeline makes zero sense, the family theme could not be more awfully handled, the worldbuilding just kind of exists when it wants, every single character is incredibly dumb, the three games contradict each other's messages and morals, the list goes on.

My personal favourite is how they somehow wrote a Mary Sue protagonist who is, simultaneously, one of the most flawed characters I've seen in a game. Which means they ultimately make terrible mistakes that lead to the deaths of potentially thousands, whilst being praised and held up as basically a messiah.

It got that kind of feeling where it's almost like none of the writers could talk to each other.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The main bad guy is so obviously evil but the Main character doesn't accept it. And when he does, he can't tell anybody in his party, because they gave the stupidest reason to justify this.

Talking Conquest here.
No that is Revelations where you can't tell anyone there is a parallel secret kingdom controlled by an evil God or else you'll die. Conquest is your kidnapper turned father is possessed by an evil god and is clearly evil but your siblings won't accept it despite how clearly evil he is and so to convince them their completely genocidal father is evil you plan to conquer a nation that isn't evil at all but really good and actually where you came from and defended by your other siblings all in order trick the evil King/kidnapper/father into sitting on their throne which has magical powers that will reveal his evil demonic form.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fates' story is like

giphy.gif

It's dumb as shit, you laugh and then you move on lest you want to make yourself mad.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is not a single likable/interesting character in the entirety of Fates. Not a one

Case in point: Xander, the main non-corrin lord of the nohr route is a much better character in the mobile spin off game, Fire emblem heroes, and characters have barely any characterisation in general there.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I actually wish they re-try the Fates thing because that concept has a ton of potential. (Just get better writers). And make it one version.

Instead of having a universal Evil. Just make a good vs bad. That's what I was expecting Fates to be.

You clearly are on the wrong side but still choose to fight alongside them. Except that idea was shot down before you even picked a side lol.

Doesn't even need to be a Good vs Bad. Could be there isn't a good side or a bad side. So much potential wasted.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Leo is a top-tier character no matter which route, even in Rev in which I actually agree the story is trash.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Leo is a top-tier character no matter which route, even in Rev in which I actually agree the story is trash.

Leo actually isn't completely awful, I'll give you that.

OK, one decent character. You got that going for ya Fates.

Case in point: Xander, the main non-corrin lord of the nohr route is a much better character in the mobile spin off game, Fire emblem heroes, and characters have barely any characterisation in general there.

Yep. Heroes has done more for Fates than the actual game did.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fates has way too many characters and too many Supports. It has like two or three times the number of support convos than Awakening which already had over 500 and people thought was bloated and watered down.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
I hadn't thought terribly much about it, but it seems like Classic mode is the way the game is intended to be played so I'll start with that unless FE fans suggest otherwise.

Personally I think that´s a good choice. You should absolutely try classic first as this is the way Fire Emblem was originally designed. Should it turn out to be bothersome, you can change your current playthrough from classic to whatever the mode without perma-death is calles.

I also recommend to start the game on hard. Again, you´re able to lower the difficulty anytime you want, but as Awakening´s map design really is very bad compared to other titles I suggest to play hard as that way you´ll at least get some challenge out of the maps. It´s no must though. Trying out classic first absolutely is if you´re new to the series imo. Prepare to find some units you like and thus restart some chapters several times as you simply won´t accept continuing the game without them.

Enjoy!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Awakening is a great entry point, basically it's the first FE game most of the FE fans played. It's not an specially good FE game though.

Echoes is IMO the best 3DS FE game, even if the map design is bad most of the times. It has less classes, stupid broken skills and mechanics, so it's easier to understand and focus on the tactics. It has also the best presentation and story.

Fates is meh. Even the best route relies on really cheap tricks to make some chapters difficult. It has really good music and graphics, but the story, voice acting and writing are awful.

Oct 29, 2017
Awakening is the best starting point for the series (that's what it was explicitely designed to do after all), so start there.

Fates is a good entry in the series (especially Conquest, which purposely harkens back to the earlier, pre-Awakening, style of hardcore focused gameplay), but lots of people take grievance with the story. The gameplay is absolutely solid though. Just note that Birthright features Awakening style gameplay, while Conquest is much more difficult and is intended for series veterans; so play Birthright first, before Conquest (and obviously play Revelation last).

Echoes is fantastic, but it purposely eschews most of the basic fundamental elements that make Fire Emblem what it is (It is literally, the Zelda 2/SMB2/Simon's Quest/Final Fantasy 2 of the Fire Emblem series as it is a remake of a Japan-only NES title that tried something completely new). So it's not a good choice as your first FE game. It's brill though, and it's really exciting that the upcoming Switch game, Three Houses, is being based on FE: Gaiden/Echoes' gameplay! Definitely try it after you get acustomed to the other entries in the series.

Last edited:

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love Awakening, but as a strategy game it's absolute trash compared to Conquest. Conquest on hard is tough as nails, anything higher than that and you're a masochist. Awakening is definitely the best game for a beginner though.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
No that is Revelations where you can't tell anyone there is a parallel secret kingdom controlled by an evil God or else you'll die. Conquest is your kidnapper turned father is possessed by an evil god and is clearly evil but your siblings won't accept it despite how clearly evil he is and so to convince them their completely genocidal father is evil you plan to conquer a nation that isn't evil at all but really good and actually where you came from and defended by your other siblings all in order trick the evil King/kidnapper/father into sitting on their throne which has magical powers that will reveal his evil demonic form.
Well, The invisible kingdom is also in Conquest. I think Gunther is there and tells you what you need to do or something.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'll give a few examples:

1.) Children are born and then placed in a forest where time moves independently of time from the rest of the world, for the sole purpose of them growing old enough to fight in battle quickly enough to be useful for the war. Which means every single one of them grows up with only sparse visits from their parents at best. Oh, and this forest also has monsters and shit. Basically one massively stupid plot device to justify the inclusion children units which dont fit the story and completely neuters any attempt at forming coherent personalities or bonds between characters.

2.) The characters find out who the 'true evil' is, but are unable to tell anyone else about it to prevent the pointless fighting because the evil being has placed a curse which will kill you immediately if you try telling anyone about it. Wooooooow, talk about an immensely stupid plot contrivance to keep the conflict going for no fucking reason.

3.) Main character who continues to go along with their father despite clear proof that their 'father' is both uncompromisingly evil, kidnapped them as a child from their real family, and has attempted to have the main character killed multiple times.

This stuff is the most egregious, but there are plenty of other examples (Azura somehow avoiding notice by Garon because she...wore the exact same outfit she normally does but in a different color, anything to do with the Nohr siblings, etc.)

It's just laughably bad, like most fanfictions are better plotted and written than Fates is.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
People can hate Fates all they want, but saying Echoes is a good entry point into Fire Emblem is like saying Simon's Quest is a good entry into Castlevania. They're the black sheep in their respective series and I can't in good conscience recommend them in context of the OP. Echoes is fine to try if you've played 2 or 3 other games in the series but playing it as an entry into the series is a surefire way to mess your expectations and learning patterns up. There's no other Fire Emblem game that follows a similar design pattern, except maybe Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon in some regards, but you won't find the (tedious) dungeon crawling anywhere else, the art style or voice acting. I genuinely don't understand what people see in Echoes except for a position to take in opposition to Fates.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Awakening is the best by a long shot. Fates was a mess. Echoes is just bland. I also really like both of the GBA titles.