• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think Cloud and Hero probably won't be sticking around for future Smash games. I also think Joker is a one time thing for sure and hopefully Banjo, Terry, and the Capcom reps stay for future Smash games. I've been having a blas with Terry and it seems like SNK is more than willing to collaborate with Nintendo on Smash.

Of course, maybe all of them will stay! That would be ideal but it seems unlikely for me. What about you? What characters do you think will stay?

JohnMichonski

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Cloud will most likely not return considering how hard it was to bring him back for Ultimate. I could see Konami wanting Snake out of there, also.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only ones that are actually at risk are Cloud and Hero, since SE seems like a huge pain to work with.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Majority will be gone. Nintendo isn't going to keep paying third party companies for all these characters. Time to go back to ground zero and add a lot of new first party characters with a handful of third party.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I can see Sonic, PAC-MAN, Mega Man, and Bayonetta staying.

the rest are probably one-time only

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
My gut feeling is the next Smash wont try to top Ultimate and a lot of first and third party characters will be cut in favor of new characters.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu/Ken, Terry are easy locks

Snake, Cloud, Belmonts, Joker and Hero stand a good chance getting cut

Pac-Man, Banjo, Bayonetta depends (former whether Bamco are still developing the game, second if Nintendo and Microsoft will still be buddy-buddy, latter if Nintendo are still the franchise's adoptive parents)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am pretty sure the next KOF will have sakurai copyright in the credits because SNK just gave terry to him

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
All except Bayo (she's basically a Nintendo character at this point), Sonic, and maybe Mega Man.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All but Sonic. Most of the first party characters too because I expect a new game to take things in a new direction with a lot of cuts

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I echo Snake, Cloud and Hero... Maybe Joker. For the rest it's free publicity and I don't see MS messing up free promotion for Banjo.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They'll stay, all of them, as long as Smash 6 isn't like a reboot with "only" 30 characters or something

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Remember, Sega owns Atlus. So if Sonic & Bayonetta return, Joker should also be safe.

With that said, the following should be in the clear going forward.
  • Capcom Co. Ltd./Capcom USA
    • Mega Man
    • Ryu
    • Ken
  • Sega/Atlus
    • Sonic
    • Bayonetta
    • Joker
  • SNK
    • Terry
Konami & Bandai Namco are probably safe, but not 100% (though if Bamco remains the developer of Smash, they'll join the sure-thing category). Microsoft is 50/50 depending on how things go for their relationship with Nintendo in the long-term. The only company with a good chance of pulling out would be Square-Enix.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i wouldn't even care if cloud is cut
that music list is shameful. SE doesnt deserve its name on the credits

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What future games? Look up "ultimate".
I highly doubt that Nintendo will stop making Smash games. That'd be like them not making anymore Mario games.

Also, Smash Ultimate is called Smash Special in Japan, so your argument doesn't hold that much weight.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
If they managed to bring SNAKE back, then everybody is going to return for Ultimatum

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
SNK is more than willing to lend Terry, so I think he's safe. Joker, Cloud, Banjo and Hero are the ones I see going away.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting the next Smash to be a a bit of a reset. Might not be any 3rd party characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Sega, Capcom and SNK will be the most likely to stay.
Bandai Namco will probably stick around if they're developing the next one. Though I'm surprised there isn't more NB reps like Tales or Tekken.
Konami is the maybe pile.
Same with Microsoft.
Square-Enix is a big fat no. Especially with the strict rules they're enforcing on Cloud and Hero

Personally, a future Smash game should focus less on third-parties and more on updating the existing characters. Give Mario a new moveset that reflects the games after Sunshine. Add some deep cut first-party picks.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
We're getting like 20 characters in the next Smash and it will be heavily retooled.
There's nowhere to go after Ultimate but change direction.

Oct 25, 2017
The Square Enix characters seem like the only ones who have any serious legal hurdles in their way. Pretty much anyone else could be a series mainstay, at least in theory.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I feel like Snake will stay, because Konami don't have to do any work and it keeps the character relevant. Think he will get dropped if they ask for too much money which ok sounds like something Konami would do.

I feel Cloud might be the biggest risk. With the FF7 remake stuff on the horizon Square probably gonna get protective over him.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Basically all of them.

I think that Sonic and Mega-Man are basically the only shoe-ins for a return. Maybe Pac-Man and Ryu as well. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that the next Smash game focuses exclusively on an extended roster of Nintendo-centric characters, all things considered.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If Sakurai stays, Joker stays.
Honestly, I'd be okay with Sakurai handing the reigns of Smash to a younger team after Ultimate. But given his work ethic, I doubt that Sakurai would be able to let the series go.

With that said, Sega has had perfect third party attendance since Brawl. So Joker, alongside Sonic & Bayonetta, should be safe going forward.

Basically all of them.

I think that Pac-Man and Mega-Man are basically the only shoe-ins for a return. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that the next Smash game focuses exclusively on an extended roster of Nintendo-centric characters, all things considered.
No Sonic?

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Most likely will stay

Capcom Guys
Terry
Sonic

50/50

Bayonetta
Joker
Pac Man
Banjo

Probably gone

Squeenix
Konami

Capcom licenses their character for dirt cheap, same with SNK and Terry. I can't see them cutting sonic ever.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Sakurai retires from Smash after Ultimate. Let someone else takeover and do whatever they want with the series giving it a new direction. Sakurai reached his apex and his legacy is set.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're getting like 20 characters in the next Smash and it will be heavily retooled.
There's nowhere to go after Ultimate but change direction.
I'm expecting fewer characters than we got in Ultimate + DLC but I think Nintendo will shore up the numbers by introducing characters from lesser-known or more niche Nintendo franchises, as well as characters who are adjacent to bigger Nintendo characters but wouldn't get into Ultimate. Sort of like the Melee and Brawl approach.

Characters like Rex, E. Gadd, Captain Toad, Saki, Takamaru, Captain Rainbow, Mach Rider, King Hippo, Black Shadow, that sort of thing. Ultimate is a celebration of a certain slice of gaming history, but if Nintendo can't replicate that sort of ambition, then I think the sequel will be more like an out-and-out celebration of Nintendo's own extensive history.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are all safe, I fully believe.

The rest depend on roster space and what companies are on good terms with Nintendo at the time.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not even the first party roster are safe as there is no way that all of them are coming back, barring the staples.

But I can see the Sega characters staying, especially Sonic.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
How do you even make a successor to Ultimate? Roster wise it just seems impossible to match again.