• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, not even the first party roster are safe as there is no way that all of them are coming back, barring the staples.

But I can see the Sega characters staying, especially Sonic.
Yeah, I expect nothing and am prepared for more let downs.
... Let down might be too much of a phrase, it just feels like Ultimate's "Everybody is here" was an ordeal that won't be repeated and that the surprise returning characters and the smaller franchises won't be so lucky in the future installments. It won't just be 3rd party characters who won't get reinvited.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Square's stuff would be the first to go. I actually think everything else would be likely to stay.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting the next smash game to purge all the 3rd parties except maybe like, Sonic.

OP
OP
Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I expect nothing and am prepared for more let downs.
... Let down might be too much of a phrase, it just feels like Ultimate's "Everybody is here" was an ordeal that won't be repeated and that the surprise returning characters and the smaller franchises won't be so lucky in the future installments. It won't just be 3rd party characters who won't get reinvited.
I don't think it'll be a let down. Honestly... some of the mainstay characters like Mario and Link have movesets that I think are outdated and they could use an overhaul.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Cloud's lack of Sprits, Extra Music, and major changes being balancing and a Limit Bar on his UI makes me think that getting him was a request from Sakurai, rather than Square Enix, and either some sort of struggle happens when Sora Unl. wants to the license back because it feels like Cloud was basically limited from anything new.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The only guaranteed 3rd party character to stick around will be Sonic. Everyone else is questionable.

Though I expect a ton of characters to be cut, not just 3rd party characters. All 83+ characters won't be back in the next one.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They should just keep using this game and keep adding characters and game modes until the day I die.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai has said if he makes another Smash he thinks he would have to differentiate it significantly- that's probably part of why he's predicting less characters. There's a good chance each character's moveset would be redone from scratch, so in that case it's not just third party characters you'd have to worry about losing (temporarily or otherwise). It will be super interesting to see where the series goes from here, especially if Sakurai finally leaves the IP to someone else.

Of course, if Nintendo's next console just gets Smash Ultimate with upgraded graphics, new modes, and a few extra characters, I'd be happy with them doing that just once. But in my opinion, eventually the series should have some sort of fundamental restructuring to keep it fresh and make room for substantial improvements, much like Melee did.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
At this point, I don't think there will be another one. And if there is, it would be a total reboot.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they kind of painted themselves into a corner with how legendary Ultimate is, and and future game will likely be seen as inferior because Smash lives by roster and gameplay. However I am glad they were able to make this amazing game.

I think Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, Terry, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, and MAYBE Joker are safe. Nintendo has worked with all the companies involved pretty closely before, but I think out of the ones I mentioned, Joker is on the shakiest ground. Unfortunately I don't expect Konami to play nice, but I also didn't expect them to for Ultimate and then they provided 2 new characters, Snake coming back and 36 Castlevania tracks, as well as Dracula as a boss. Square Enix is notoriously cagey about it's characters. They seemed reluctant to have Cloud in Ultimate, Hero is probably safer than Cloud honestly. Banjo is Microsoft, so I think that one might be a one time deal. Bayo is pretty safe because Nintendo literally owns Bayo 2 and 3, Sonic is probably safe too. Nintendo has worked closely with Atlus, but it's still hard to say how safe Joker is since he is from Persona and not SMT.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really only expect Capcom, Sega minus Atlus (Sonic and Bayo), and now SNK to stay for sure.

Konami is hit or miss. They seem cool with Castlvania having a bunch of material in the game, and Snake made a great return.

I only expect Atlus and Square to stay if Sakurai does the next one.

Microsoft is very iffy. I'm honestly not sure.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
are companies asking that much if at all for the 3rd parties? its free publicity and visibility if the roster gets substantially cut will most likely due the workload, you know like the pokemons, and sakurai would get riots and death threats by the certified neckbearded and manbabies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting the worst for the next roster in terms of cuts. Like Dexit levels bad, where favorites that people thought were safe were cut. I don't really have any expectations for who stays except Sonic since he has the most Smash appearances of any of them.

Oct 25, 2017
are companies asking that much if at all for the 3rd parties? its free publicity and visibility if the roster gets substantially cut will most likely due the workload, you know like the pokemons, and sakurai would get riots and death threats by the certified neckbearded and manbabies.

Square-Enix certainly is going by their behavior.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Well no matter what, Terry is definitely a permanent member of Smash now.

Cloud and Hero are first on the chopping block. Sonic (EDIT: and by proxy, probably Bayonetta and Joker as well (unless they pick a different Persona rep next time)), Mega Man, & Pac-Man will stick around. I don't know about the rest.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the cuts is that the discussion for 3rd parties centers around how negotiable the characters are. However, Sakurai's comments indicate that there is also a problem with how much work all these characters take as well overall. I expect characters that were perfectly within his reach to get cut, both inside and outside of Nintendo.

For who stays, it will likely be a mix of characters that are iconic, big in the industry, fan favorites, favorites of the development team, ones who bring a particularly diverse playstyle yet don't upset the game's balance, and also who can pass the legal negotiations and not upset the budget. Basically everything will matter.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i sometimes forget sonic, pacman and megaman arent actually Nintendo characters

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud is probably gone considering he very nearly didn't make Ultimate, apparently. If he is cut I do see them trying to bring him back as DLC again though, he's one of the most played Smash characters online according to Sakurai.

Hero is never going to be in a default Smash roster due to how the music licensing for Dragon Quest works.

Banjo is a big question mark just due to the nature of the deal being between two competitors, situations could easily change and go south.

Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are probably the safest.

The rest depend on licensing fees, development time, and third party relations. But I do want to say that even beyond Cloud, Hero, and Banjo there will be further cuts to the third party roster just due to the licensing fees ballooning due to all of the third parties added as DLC in Ultimate, so make your peace now.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
I find it weird people are grouping DQ and FF together. DQ globally is way more niche than FF so they stand to gain more by keeping Hero in while Cloud might need stricter handling due to FF7R.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird people are grouping DQ and FF together. DQ globally is way more niche than FF so they stand to gain more by keeping Hero in while Cloud might need stricter handling due to FF7R.
JASRAC gets a certain percentage of every item sold with Dragon Quest music in it. Hero is never going to be in a default Smash roster due to this.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Tier List

You bet your ass they're coming back:
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac Man

Pretty Likely:
Ryu
Snake
Simon

May depend on if Sakurai is still around:
Bayo
Joker
Terry

No Idea:
Banjo

lmao Square:
Cloud
Hero

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I'm expecting a very limited roster for the next entry. I'd say all of them go, with the exceptions of Sonic, and maybe Mega Man/Pac-Man.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
You're right. But Sonic will be the first movie trailer design.
tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Snk Would probably pay for terry to continue being in tbh.

I read this initially as a joking comment, but the more I think about it the more I suspect this to be 100% literally true. I feel like I've seen more casual conversation about SNK in the past month than in the past five years combined.

May 15, 2019
Square characters are the only ones I think are a definite thing. Joker is probably gone too just because I can't imagine Persona 5 will be relevant then, but probably replaced with either a P6 or other Atlus character. Everyone else seems pretty likely to return.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible to say without knowing what the next Smash Bros. game will look like.

Wont be an issue for the next 5 years since Ultimate isnt getting replaced anytime soon.

Oct 29, 2017
There will probably never be another Smash Bros game ever again. Sakurai will probably retire before a 7th Smash Bros game gets made.

If one ever did? Almost every character would get gutted (both 1st and 3rd party) and you'll end up with a roster of around 20-30 characters at most.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There will probably never be another Smash Bros game ever again. Sakurai will probably retire before a 7th Smash Bros game gets made.

If one ever did? Almost every character would get gutted (both 1st and 3rd party) and you'll end up with a roster of around 20-30 characters at most.

There will be another Smash game. There will be many more Smash games. That's not even in question.

The only spot of doubt is whether Sakurai will continue to be involved. I suspect he will, personally. Despite Ultimate seemingly being a perfect "finale" game, I believe this is the first time since the original that Sakurai hasn't made any comment about the newest game being his "last one".

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I highly doubt that Nintendo will stop making Smash games. That'd be like them not making anymore Mario games.

Also, Smash Ultimate is called Smash Special in Japan, so your argument doesn't hold that much weight.
That was half a joke. With the roster likely shrinking and Sakurai out, I don't look forward to what's beyond the ultimate Smash.
Granted, I also don't care about Kosmos and shit.
Money can resurrect anything
How are you enjoying Konami's output?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That was half a joke. With the roster likely shrinking and Sakurai out, I don't look forward to what's beyond the ultimate Smash.

As I said earlier, as someone who loved Splatoon & ARMS, I'd be curious to see what a younger team could bring to the table.

Like I said, I doubt Nintendo's gonna let Smash die after Ultimate. It'd be like letting Mario die after Odyssey.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Not enough potential money to bother resurrecting compared to their actual business interests