• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've never watched any of the animated series, and as the title says I'd like to know which ones I should watch and which ones I should watch first.

(I've seen every live-action movie / show)

Thanks!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Clone Wars (2008-2014) in chronological order, not release order. Chronological order is found here. Someone will be along with a reading order shortly, but I don't fully agree with it and find it's a few years out of date. A final season of Clone Wars is coming to Disney+ next year
Rebels (2014-2018), was released in the correct order and is an indirect sequel to the Clone Wars

Both of these are must-watch. Resistance (2018-2020) is pretty boring honestly but could pick up near the end.

The original Clone Wars (2003-2005) is fine but no longer canon.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
The Clone Wars (search for the chronological order) then Rebels.

Skip Resistance.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the 2003 animation by Genndy Tartakovsky never get mentioned? its easily the best ive seen.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Clone Wars. It's also the best one easily. Just watch in release order, though I suggest using the image guide to skip the bad episodes. Also skip the pilot movie.

Rebels is okay but not fantastic and is also way more exclusively kid targeting. It takes place after TCW and follows up on some of its plot threads anyway as well.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars -> Rebels is kind of the key one.

The original (2D) Clone Wars is also great, albeit non-canon nowadays. The Galaxy of Adventures shorts are a lot of fun but are mostly just super short retellings of iconic scenes.

I haven't heard anything good about Resistance, but it's only had one season so far, and honestly all of the Filoni series have pretty shitty first seasons.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the 2003 animation by Genndy Tartakovsky never get mentioned? its easily the best ive seen.

Because it's not canon and a lot of people are asking this question lately because they want background information on stuff they've seen in the movies or the Mandalorian.

Also, frankly, it's because it's hugely inferior to the CGI show. It's a bunch of disconnected shorts with no plot or character development, and what little there is isn't even canon anymore, and is focused entirely on kewl badass action scenes.

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The Clone Wars (2008-2014) in chronological order, not release order. Chronological order is found here. Someone will be along with a reading order shortly, but I don't fully agree with it and find it's a few years out of date. A final season of Clone Wars is coming to Disney+ next year
Rebels (2014-2018), was released in the correct order and is an indirect sequel to the Clone Wars

Both of these are must-watch. Resistance (2018-2020) is pretty boring honestly but could pick up near the end.

The original Clone Wars (2003-2005) is fine but no longer canon.
The Clone Wars. It's also the best one easily. Just watch in release order, though I suggest using the image guide to skip the bad episodes. Also skip the pilot movie.

Rebels is okay but not fantastic and is also way more exclusively kid targeting. It takes place after TCW and follows up on some of its plot threads anyway as well.

Haha, am I going to need a poll on which way to watch it?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Frankly I think Clone Wars' continuity/out of order problems are overblown so I don't think it matters which way you watched it. Personally, I watched it in release order, but kept the chronological listing nearby so I could keep track of when things were happening.

Also I strongly disagree with the above sentiment that Rebels is "not fantastic." I think it has a somewhat slow start but eventually becomes some of the best Star Wars ever. Its highest moments are beyond Clone Wars. I even cried a couple times watching Rebels when most Star Wars media has never had that effect on me.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here OP:
fqSCqkb5bQwOcyU1BOl76LXpCwoP1cj1VCqx4FgzuE4.jpg

Watch all highlighted recommended episodes AND the "Honorable Mentions" episodes. Skip the episodes that aren't marked at all. Also I'd recommend skipping the pilot movie, just know Anakin is given an apprentice named Ahsoka (The orange alien girl).

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clones Wars after season 2 is really fantastic.

Rebels isn't bad, but it has way more lows then highs compared to Clone Wars, it's just that the main character is kinda annoying and it has a lot more kiddy bullshit just happen because reasons or that breaks the tension of a scene.

I couldn't get into Resistance at all.

Edit: Also the guide in this post above mine, totally use that.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

1. It's mentioned in the second reply
2. It's no longer canon
3. The CG show is better, yeah I said it

Tartakovsky's show has some great stuff (Mace Windu ep, introducing Grievous as a terrifying badass instead of...well, what he turned out to be), but the CG show's characterization and chronicling of the Clone War period is much more in depth and valuable in terms of filling in the story between 2 and 3. Which really should have just been Episode 2, with Episode 1 being the story of how the Clone War began, but we have to work with what George gave us.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not canon and a lot of people are asking this question lately because they want background information on stuff they've seen in the movies or the Mandalorian.

Also, frankly, it's because it's hugely inferior to the CGI show. It's a bunch of disconnected shorts with no plot or character development, and what little there is isn't even canon anymore, and is focused entirely on kewl badass action scenes.

Yeah, but it looked great and I love Genndy's style. The CG shows always looked so weird to me.
I don't know why anyone gives a shit about whats canon or not when the old republic based games are so incredible. The fact that it often goes unmentioned is a real shame.

Same, it's my favorite of the Star Wars shows. I much prefer it over The Clone Wars (2008).

Apparently there are dozens of us

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

LMFALMFPAFLAPMFOAPAHAHAHAH

Yeah that's a no from me fam

Go ahead and skip a ton of incredible episodes for literally no reason.

What a horrible suggestion.

This is 100% what you should watch right here.

Save your time and don't watch the other shows and stuff.

This is highly incorrect.

There are a lot of episodes that should be seen in what are skipped in this "guide".

edit :

And forgot to mention now that the show is back and we know what it will cover, skipping some of this is nonsnsical.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rebels only has a few good scenes worth watching.
It has like 7 or so actually good episodes and at least 3 of them are purely closing out Clone Wars stories/don't entirely work as satisfying episodes just of Rebels because the focus isn't even on the Rebels characters.

It catering much more to kids really hampered it. Every time they even attempted to go into more adult/dark territory they veered away, to the point where, IIRC, they couldn't even say the words "die" or "death". It was ludicrous.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Watching stuff in chronological order for the first time is always dumb as hell, the way it's set up is intentional.

That being said the first season of clone wars along with the movie is pretty bad but I'd still give it a shot just to get more background on things.

And yes start with the 2D Clone Wars because it has a lot of amazing action sequences even if it isn't canon.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMFALMFPAFLAPMFOAPAHAHAHAH

Yeah that's a no from me fam

Go ahead and skip a ton of incredible episodes for literally no reason.

What a horrible suggestion.

This is highly incorrect.

There are a lot of episodes that should be seen in what are skipped in this "guide".

edit :

And forgot to mention now that the show is back and we know what it will cover, skipping some of this is nonsnsical.
I think there's only one thing it skips over that I'd really consider as pretty good, the Padawan Lost Arc at the end of S3. But whatever. For the most part it's a perfectly good guide. It skips over really dumb/kiddy episodes that are focused on stuff like Stinky the Hutt, Jar Jar Binks, and droids wandering around doing nothing. Whatever is missed is worth it if it means actually getting people into the series instead of making them check out. If they really like the show after they've seen the truly good stuff, they can go back and see what they've missed.

EDIT: All of the arcs in the new season follow up on episodes that are recommended to watch in that guide, as far as we know, so there's no problem.

Oct 29, 2017
No one should skip half of The Clone Wars if they are going to watch Rebels.

If you have time to watch Rebels, you have time to watch the episodes of the Clone Wars that are not the main plot. They are often better too. Trespass is the best episode of season 1.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Start with The Clone Wars. You'll have to start with the pretty shitty movie unfortunately though. The final season will also be out in February.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one should skip half of The Clone Wars if they are going to watch Rebels.

If you have time to watch Rebels, you have time to watch the episodes of the Clone Wars that are not the main plot. They are often better too. Trespass is the best episode of season 1.
The recommended guide that I posted earlier in this thread does not recommend skipping even close to "half of" the series. Trespass is one of the episodes included. Like I said, anyone using the guide should watch all those highlighted as well as "honorable mentions" (ie, not plot essential but still great). The only episodes I am suggesting people skip are the ones the guide does not denote at all, because in the vast majority of cases they're not great, and some are outright awful.

It's a big ask to get someone interested in a 120+ episode series, especially when the first season is littered with episodes that do not even come close to indicating the quality the series reaches. Plus there's the additional "cartoons just are for kids" stigma that a very large amount of people have and is difficult to overcome. I didn't used to recommend the guide, but I had a lot of people end up giving up on the show without even finishing the first season. Everyone I know that I have recommended use the guide has ended up loving the series. For me, that's the win.

Oct 29, 2017
The recommended guide that I posted earlier in this thread does not recommend skipping even close to "half of" the series. Trespass is one of the episodes included. Like I said, anyone using the guide should watch all those highlighted as well as "honorable mentions" (ie, not plot essential but still great). The only episodes I am suggesting people skip are the ones the guide does not denote at all, because in the vast majority of cases they're not great, and some are outright awful.

It's a big ask to get someone interested in a 120+ episode series, especially when the first season is littered with episodes that do not even come close to indicating the quality the series reaches. Plus there's the additional "cartoons just are for kids" stigma that a very large amount of people have and is difficult to overcome. I didn't used to recommend the guide, but I had a lot of people end up giving up on the show without even finishing the first season. Everyone I know that I have recommended use the guide has ended up loving the series. For me, that's the win.
Fair enough, better to finish it and then go back to watch the rest if there is interest, than to quit it.

Nov 10, 2019
Yeah, but it looked great and I love Genndy's style. The CG shows always looked so weird to me.
I don't know why anyone gives a shit about whats canon or not when the old republic based games are so incredible. The fact that it often goes unmentioned is a real shame.

Apparently there are dozens of us
Exactly. For all the people hating on the old Clone Wars series for not being canon anymore, it practically set up the 2008 series. Asajj Ventress was never introduced in the 2008 show because viewers were expected to already know her from the 2003 show where she was first properly introduced. And I think the idea that Dooku first encountered her on Rattatak is still canon.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TCW might just be the one media property where chronological order is objectively better than release order. Like with the movies, you're supposed to do release order because the prequels assume that you know what happens to Anakin Skywalker.

TCW doesn't have anything like that. Episodes were just broadcast in different timelines for no reason. Of course, it doesn't really matter if you watch in release order because you won't even realize that events were overlapping. But if you follow the officially-sanctioned chronological order, you realize the connections and everything flows a lot better. If you did release, you may not even realize that episodes 2x16, 1x16, and the TCW movie were all connected. And that you should watch them in that order. And that they are the very first things you should watch.

Shit's wild.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. For all the people hating on the old Clone Wars series for not being canon anymore, it practically set up the 2008 series. Asajj Ventress was never introduced in the 2008 show because viewers were expected to already know her from the 2003 show where she was first properly introduced. And I think the idea that Dooku first encountered her on Rattatak is still canon.
Honestly, the "canon" or not argument is pretty crummy imo. The 2003 series doesn't really contradict anything in TCW or vice versa apart from how Grievous is portrayed. So it might as well be canon. The bigger issue is that while it's animated well and the action is cool, the plot within it is super thin. I'd say it's "fine" ultimately, but it really just exists as a cool action scene demo. More or less though, you can consider "season 1" and Episode 1 of "Season 2" of it to be prior to TCW and the rest of "season 2" of it to be post-TCW.
TCW might just be the one media property where chronological order is objectively better than release order. Like with the movies, you're supposed to do release order because the prequels assume that you know what happens to Anakin Skywalker.

TCW doesn't have anything like that. Episodes were just broadcast in different timelines for no reason. Of course, it doesn't really matter if you watch in release order because you won't even realize that events were overlapping. But if you follow the officially-sanctioned chronological order, you realize the connections and everything flows a lot better. If you did release, you may not even realize that episodes 2x16, 1x16, and the TCW movie were all connected. And that you should watch them in that order. And that they are the very first things you should watch.

Shit's wild.
Watching TCW in "chronological order" is overblown. From mid-season 3 on every episode is in chronological order anyways. The "out of order" stuff is only in the first couple of seasons (last episode that is "earlier" being in season 3) because they decided they wanted to do a couple of things before the pilot movie, or do a backstory arc for certain characters. And so-called "Flashback" episodes aren't exactly out of the norm in other TV series, so this isn't really a big deal to watch it in release order rather than chronologically.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching TCW in "chronological order" is overblown. From mid-season 3 on every episode is in chronological order anyways. The "out of order" stuff is only in the first couple of seasons (last episode that is "earlier" being in season 3) because they decided they wanted to do a couple of things before the pilot movie, or do a backstory arc for certain characters. And so-called "Flashback" episodes aren't exactly out of the norm in other TV series, so this isn't really a big deal to watch it in release order rather than chronologically.
That's... pretty much what I said though?

What you gain is seeing how some of the "one-off" episodes aren't actually one-off episodes. With release order, most people wouldn't even realize that the flashback episodes were flashback episodes. They just feel like story-of-the-week.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's... pretty much what I said though?

What you gain is seeing how some of the "one-off" episodes aren't actually one-off episodes. With release order, most people wouldn't even realize that the flashback episodes were flashback episodes. They just feel like story-of-the-week.
I just don't particularly think it matters. Pulling out certain episodes and jumping around between seasons is just confusing to me. I don't think the "insight" of seeing those in chronological order really adds anything.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Clone Wars has probably the most amazing aerial battles to grace the small screen

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars in chronological order and then Rebels in release order.

I loved Clone Wars but watching it in release order can be confusing. There were episodes I had to pause cause I legit was confused of when it took place in relation to what I had just saw.

The worst case being an episode where you see a character die... And then a few episodes later they're alive and well because the episode later actually took place before the other episode and it's jarring.

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The Clone Wars has probably the most amazing aerial battles to grace the small screen

I watched the first Episode of Resistance before making this thread. The "combat" and the way the ships move looks..."fake". I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like they "float" around on the screen instead of flying forward.

Felt really, really off.

That animation in your post looks awesome.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does disney+ offer a chronological timeline btw or you have to use the starwars.com guide ?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Ion cannon ship and it podkiller teams were disturbing as fuck

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first Episode of Resistance before making this thread. The "combat" and the way the ships move looks..."fake". I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like they "float" around on the screen instead of flying forward.

Felt really, really off.

That animation in your post looks awesome.
The Clone Wars was Lucas's pet project. He had no qualms throwing money at any problem.