• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Martin Gore of Depeche Mode. He isn't the frontman or lead singer, but he is the heart of Depeche Mode and, imo, the better singer over Dave Gahan. Some examples:

His solo work is great too and definitely worth checking out.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
im gonna be a dork and say prime Jon Anderson from Yes has some crazy beautiful vocals. Of course all their old songs are giant with long instrumental sections so skip to the time i listed to actually hear mouth sounds

16:37 -

can start at the beginning of this one -

1:38 -

3:39 -

Jon Anderson was my first pick entering this thread. Love his voice, whether it's old or new stuff or in-between.

Oct 27, 2017
She's a nutcase but I'll always consider Sinead as my number one "sings like an angel". Her songs bring me to tears more than any other artist.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'll stick to contemporary artists or else it'll be another Kate Bush spam.

Aldous Harding

Thom Yorke

Julia Holter

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
My obvious picks being mentionned already (Shanon, Floor and Anneke), i'll choose mister Luc Arbogast :

You've probably never heard anyone sing like that.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of truly outrageously amazing voices - like Bjork or Ella Fitzgerald - but there's something very grounded and lovely about Annie Lennox. She sings like a real person only perfectly and beautifully and her lower range is so much fuller than a lot of the aria squeaking legends.

Also shoutout to Kate Bush. Strange, otherworldy.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Of modern vocalists, the three that stand out to me are Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Florence, and Rachael Price of Lake Street Dive - seriously listen to 3:00-3:30 of Just Ask:

Not necessarily the most refined or greatest range or whatever - just voices that resonate with me.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

She's been inactive for the last year since she recently had a child, but Genevieve Schatz from Company of Thieves is tremendous.

Dec 25, 2018
danny elfman. only danny elfman sounds like danny elfman. fucking insane singer, would do 2+ hour concerts for the halloween shows for Oingo Boingo consistently.

and he sang all the Jack parts in The Nightmare Before Christmas

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've been listening to Elvis the last couple of months for a project I'm working on and I've really come to love his voice. Especially in his performances from the time around From Elvis in Memphis, 68 Comeback Special and the Las Vegas-shows in 1970.

And how in the world I'm I the first one to post this?

(Oh, and Dusty Springfield. I love her voice.)

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Some fantastic recommendations in here. I'm going to go with:

Paloma Faith (awesome in Pennyworth too)

Billie Marten

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
danny elfman. only danny elfman sounds like danny elfman. fucking insane singer, would do 2+ hour concerts for the halloween shows for Oingo Boingo consistently.

and he sang all the Jack parts in The Nightmare Before Christmas

One of my favorites. His range was pretty insane. Dead Man's Party is still the best Halloween album ever, though I think Good For Your Soul and Nothing to Fear are their best.

Gabiru

Apr 2, 2018
im gonna be a dork and say prime Jon Anderson from Yes has some crazy beautiful vocals. Of course all their old songs are giant with long instrumental sections so skip to the time i listed to actually hear mouth sounds

16:37 -

can start at the beginning of this one -

1:38 -

YES!

Really love Milton Nascimento as well

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Sarah Brightman circa 2000 had one of the most beautiful, enchanting voices mankind ever had the pleasure to listen to.

She legit sounded like an angel.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also give a shout out to Weyes Blood, only just heard a couple songs and she sounds absolutely wonderful.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PJ Harvey. There are probably better songs to use with the adjective "heavenly" but you're getting this one and you're going to like it.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
This thread screams Sohyang.

Seriously. Listen to this and your Friday will be made.

I get chills the whole time listening to this. Unreal performance.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of great ones already mentioned, so I'd like to add

Victoria Legrand from Beach House

Peter Silberman from The Antlers

Sufjan Stevens

Oct 26, 2017
These two:

Lea Salonga - Eponine in Les Miserables, Kim in Miss Saigon, Jasmine in Aladdin and Mulan's singing voice in Mulan. Truly heavenly.

Sarah Alainn - I fell in love with her voice in Beyond the Sky (Xenoblade), and she's only gotten better with experience. And she's an excellent violinist too!

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
I've got quite a list.
Freddie Mercury, Florence Welch, Lapsley, Mor Karbasi, Hozier, Rufus Wainwright, Jeff Buckley, Benjamin Clementine, and Leonard Cohen. To name a few lmao.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Darren Hayes (Lead singer from Savage Garden)

Particularly his falsetto in this song at 0:56, 1:22, 2:03 and 3:04. Tingles.

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
Mark Mulcahy, with Miracle Legion, Polaris, or Solo.
Here's one of my favorite Miracle Legion songs:

and Cindy Wilson from the B-52's. Kate is awesome too, and when they sing together it's amazing, but Cindy is out of this world (side note - her brother Ricky is also THE most underrated guitar player I can think of).

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Thom Yorke from In Rainbows-Present sounds frail in his higher register and sounds like that one old guy from Family Guy.

But definitely Pablo Honey-Hail to the Thief he had a beautiful voice.

I think Hozier and James Blake have angelic voices even if I don't *love* either's music per se.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
A "heavenly voice" thread an not a single mention of Karen Carpenter.

A meteor might as well wipe us out already, we have no future

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
She has the most amazing, epic, powerful voice I've ever heard but heavenly it is not. She sounds like she comes from the depths of Valhalla.
Well, she can sing high notes (heard her performing Ghost Love Score live) but also is a very good growler. She has most diverse range of all female vocalists right now. Can't wait to hear her work on the next Nightwish album

Last edited: