• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily the toughest, but the ones you've enjoyed overcoming the most. Try to be more specific than a game, more like a specific puzzle, encounter, trophy or level you've had to overcome.

- -

For me it would have to be Destiny raids blind. Raiding in Destiny is already an experience that isn't found in many other console games (teaming up with six people on comms to complete a series of challenges with no hints and harsh wipe penalties) but going in blind has resulted in some of the best gaming experiences I've had to date. Particularly the first one, Vault of Glass, where I went in with five other strangers determined to take on this challenge clueless and emerged a good six or seven hours later laughing among names that are still on my friends list today.

How about you guys?

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
There was this jet level in Donkey Kong Country Returns that took me a few months to finish because I just couldn't stand all of the insane bullshit that goes on. When I finished, I threw my wiimote on the wall and started punching my sofa. Yeah, insane. I have never done that besides in this day. DKCR is a good game.

Edit: It's 7-4, Gear Getaway. https://youtu.be/tOys9L3nz9A

Last edited:

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
There was a certain electrical circuit puzzle in Breath of the Wild. I'm not sure what the intended solution was, but I couldn't find the right way to use the metal objects I was given. I went "fuck it" and dropped a metal weapon and used it to complete the circuit. It worked.

Oct 26, 2017
85386532.gif

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Many of the SS-ranks I've got in Dustforce felt like insurmontable challenges at first,and getting closer and closer to them was one of my most satisfying experiences in gaming. Perfecting a level in this game gives you such a huge feeling of accomplishment, it's worth all the time you put into it.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny raids are definitely up there for me as well.

But doing a raid solo & flawless was on another level of difficult. Still can't believe it that I actually did it and that is probably one of the few trophies I have gotten that I am actually proud of.

Oct 26, 2017
It feels so satisfying when you solve puzzles in games like Braid, Fez and The Witness without resorting to looking up the solutions. I feel people get frustrated at not being able to progress and cave in. It's not unusual for the solution to came to me days later, sometimes even if I'n not playing the game.

You're smarter than you give yourselves credit for people, just have a bit of patience.

Lukasper

Oct 28, 2017
The inside of the mountain from The Witness. I'll get to and beat the challenge one day...

Psxdad

Oct 27, 2017
For sure Bloodborne. My only Souls game so far, but I loved it so much I beat it 3 times. The world and story was so fascinating.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably finally beating Senator Armstrong in MGR or Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 2.

I always like tough final bosses or secret bosses and if i finally beat em it feels so good i think the Soulsborne titles do this the best, where you feel good after nearly any boss or strong monster you beat. So this also counts for Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 in my case:P felt so good after finally beating em all the way through.

Beating Mario Odyssey with all moons will probably be the next one, after that i am planning to 100% Zelda BotW on Master Mode (will use map for korok seeds tho lol) and Assassin Creed Origins on hard.

Alpolio

Oct 27, 2017
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Beat the last boss in Gears 4. It's the first time that I concentrated on just one game until I finished it. The 30 point achievements for each level was part of my motivation too.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Probably clearing all the survival mode routes in Sayonara Umihara Kawase. I never knew my hands could get so sweaty.

johnnydork

Oct 26, 2017
Getting the Speedlunky Trophy in Spelunky allowed me to put that game to one side. Magnificent wee game.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately feel like I'm not very good at videogames. With that said, solo-ing defiled watchdog was probably the most satisfying gaming accomplishment I can remember.

Plasmids

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved it when I completed the Mile High club in COD4 on veteran a few years ago.

I just thought it was a really good challenge and just felt seriously cool working through that plane.

Also Bloodborne and Dark Souls were pretty cool to beat.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I beat Metal Gear Rising on Revengeance difficulty. Without using any DLC weapons or cheat wigs.

I'm not great at character action games like that, in fact most of what Platinum makes just doesn't click for me. But Metal Gear Rising? It clicked. So I made myself a challenge: "How far can I get in difficulties?" Beat Hard. Wasn't bad. Unlocked Very Hard. Beat that. That was kind of mean. Unlocked Revengeance... Got torn to shreds in the tutorial stage. That part is the hardest part of the game by far.

But as boss after boss fell on Revengeance (shoutout to the unassuming Grad in Chapter 2 for being a living nightmare on this difficulty), I finally found myself facing down Armstrong. Which plays by three new rules. 1. The lead-up fights that you can lose to continue in other difficulties have to be won. 2. His damage is measured in lifebars per hit. 3. QTE damage is vastly magnified for Raiden. You get hit? You're dead, or close to it. You trigger a QTE? He's eating 50% out of 200% damage. To beat Armstrong on Revengeance, you don't just have to hurt him, you have to do it in style.

It was fun. And I know I'm not great at the game, there are still several mechanics I never mastered. But the game put out its biggest challenge... and I won. That's good enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Ludwig, from The Old Hunters, for sure. It's possibly my favorite boss fight ever. Truly incredible.

The progression from "this is impossible, how could I possibly get used to such an erratic pattern?" to it becoming manageable little by little, to you dominating the fight, and then you get the transition to phase 2.

GODDAMN, that was amazing. Too bad phase 2 isn't nearly as challenging, but still, my favorite moment in the game.

Played it for the first time on NG++ too, and I'm not that good at the game, I just thought it would be a good idea because I didn't think the vanilla game was very challenging. Let's just say it wasn't the smartest idea.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Beating the Fated Four in their first appearance in Monster Hunter Generations. The Fated Four are Generations' mascots, and each one makes its first appearance by barging in on other quests the first time you do them. You're supposed to avoid them and focus on your target because your equipment isn't supposed to be good enough to handle them that early, but it doesn't stop you from fighting and killing them if you're good enough.

johnnydork

Oct 26, 2017
I also completed Bloodborne without levelling or summoning which helped me to put that game down after 7 or 8 playthroughs. Most boss fights just came down to pure patience... The Shadows of Yarnham took me days. Of course I just ran through the rest of the game.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being down by like 10+ points in the 4th qtr of a basketball game then coming back and winning in the end or with a game winner. The amount of hype I feel is amazing.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Back then when I was a FPS Noob. Beating Halo CE/2 on legendary.

Recently doing The White Gold Tower dungeon on veteran using group finder on Elder Scrolls Online

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Emerald and ruby weapon in FF7
Crown level in Mario 3d land / world
Sephiroth in kingdom hearts

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Completing New Game+ in Hyper Light Drifter. It's already a tough game, but NG+ ups the ante by severely restricting your health to the point where most enemies (and basically all bosses) can take you out in one hit. It was both incredibly stressful and incredibly exhilarating, but ultimately very satisfying.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Collecting all the boss medals in Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. You get a medal when you defeat a boss without taking damage. Healing doesn't count, so you basically need to avoid every attack. The medals themselves don't do anything, so you really only attempt it to challenge yourself.

I managed it without cheesing the fights with Glyph Union abuse and I'm quite proud of that. I did use the Death Ring (massive stat boost all-around at the price of every attack becoming a one-hit kill--which is rendered moot because of the nature of the challenge). So I guess the next step is to do it without the ring, too.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the hardest raids in FFXIV, specifically stuff like Turn 7 Savage, A8S and currently working on ultimate coil....

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have to say beating some of the later Catherine puzzles. It may have almost driven me to the point of insanity, but it was so rewarding when I got to the end.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The vidmaster challenges of Halo 3 and ODST were fun to do with friends and was especially rewarding when you finally got that badass recon armor.

Oct 27, 2017
Time trials in Mirror's Edge. I really liked how the game pushed its gameplay mechanics to the limit and all the new tricks and shortcuts I had to learn to lower my times.

Beating Dead Space 2 in Hardcore mode without the power node glitch.
I-FUCKING-LOVED that challenge. All checkpoints disabled, you can only save 3 times and most enemies can kill you in 1-2 hits, I was shitting bricks the entire game, It was a true survival horror experience. It took me 10 hours of trial and error to reach the first recommended save point.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum - Getting the achievement for using all moves in a single combo and getting three stars in all of the combat and predator challenges. I remember when I first started I would struggle to get one star but when the combat finally clicked I was getting three stars on the harder challenges halfway through. Felt especially good beating the extreme combat challenge with the electrified floor for the first time.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
This year:
Eventide Island from Zelda: BOTW
Cuphead
- every single boss.

Overall:
Ginsu Tree from Ori & the Blind Forest
The Black Knight in the beginning of Dark Souls (he was my nemesis for hours and hours and it felt sooooo good to beat him moreso than anything else in that game)

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
There are a whole bunch of Soulsborne bosses that made me feel like a king upon beating them. Ornstein & Smough, Artorias, Orphan of Kos, and plenty others were some of the hypest fights I've encountered in all my years of gaming.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Two big ones:

- Hell Run in Spelunky

I know it's a little quaint but it felt so awesome finally having all the stars align and doing the whole run. It takes so much just to do a plain Olmec run when you start, so the progress to getting the true ending was super satisfying.

- Blood Stained Sanctuary in Cave Story

Probably my favorite platformer accomplishment.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
It was actually pretty recent. I just beat Furi and had a blast learning patterns and finally beating the game and dealing with the optional final boss.

counterfly

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
For me, it was completing Champions Road (Super Mario 3D World) in co-op with my brother. We practiced the whole weekend, watched Youtube video's for tips and finally finished it Sunday afternoon. Now we both finish it easily, both solo and co-op.

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
Beating Halo 2 on Legendary in less then 3 hours is definitely up there as my most rewarding challenge completed.

Gondo

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Beating Uncharted 1-3 on Brutal was misanthropic fun, didn't think I could do it but hey...look at me, I did

I always enjoy Ys bosses (specifically Oath in Felghana tbh), learning the patterns, using only your skill an knowledge to get through it, always feel just right

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
Learning and clearing new dungeons in MMO for the first time always feels so satisfying.

For solo play, there are quite a lot! The most recent one is FF15's secret dungeon and fishing. It feels soooo good when I beat them :D