• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which console design do you prefer?

• Playstation 5

Votes: 3,277 44.3%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 4,120 55.7%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
I believe a considerable amount of effort went into designing the Series X
I think people are confusing boring with familiarity. PS5 was just unveiled today while we've known the Series X design for 6 months. When revealed it was shocking, and it was called bold and revolutionary for console design. It's a monolith with venting at the top...its design is absolutely unique while still maintaining a minimalist and industrial look.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
They're both really bad for very different reasons. Actually one shared one - both are huge.
It's a little sad, the PS4 and revisions were flawless. Not too showy, not too drab.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a playstation design that wasn't just 'okay'. But man the PS5 is just plain ugly. The Xbox Series X looks boring but it's inoffensive.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in Xbox but my vote goes to that. I am usually not one to care much about how a console looks but the PS5 looks hideous to me lol. I might have to wait for a second version before buying.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is by far my least favorite design of any Sony console yet. It's so gaudy and over-designed. It wouldn't be so bad if it was all black like in that mockup.

I'm not keen on the Series X form factor, but it will blend right in to a living room setup and not be an eyesore.

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
I thought the PS5 looked great at first..... Then I see it laid horizontally..... And all those size comparision. Now I hate it.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

It's not official, but by lining up the drives you get this.

If this is close to accurate, I did some just rough math and came to the conclusion the PS5 is most likely larger than XSX in volume by roughly 10-20% (i think the depth is >= 10" but less than 12")

that is also excluding the dead space you'd have if it's in horizontal posture.

Yep.

And I really want to see just how tall the PS5 is laying down with that stand..in the mockups it doesn't look much less tall than the Series X laid down..which is fucking nuts.

I have it at about 3.9" so approx 2/3 the height of XSX in horizontal

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Neither are good, but the Xbox offends me less (it would be leagues better without the historically tacky Xbox branding, with the x-treme logo and neon green and shit). The PS5 reminds me of shitty American cars from the '90s, when everything was just bulbous for no reason.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Size comparison. Didn't realize it from the trailer, but the PS5 is fucking massive.

m68gq2vi8e451.png

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I went with the Series X. Between the two, it's the one that at least looks like it could be a premium piece of equipment in your home entertainment center. The PS5 is doing too much. The cheap-looking plastic shell wouldn't be that bad if didn't have that collar.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
Xbox because it looks like it was designed to play games and play them well.

The PS5 would be the same but for some reason they added collars? It's meant to be eyecatching and Ghost in the Shell or something, I get it but its not going to fit in most TV units. I simply don't see how the design helps performance or usability.

There were rumours awhile back that MS showing the Series X early caught Sony off-guard and I reckon it might be true so they threw a design together asap like the Boomerang controller and are forced to stick with it due to Corvid-19 disruptions.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
i find it kind of ridiculous the PS5 requires a wedge to lay horizontally

it's like they decided to make the wobble jokes come to life

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe Series X is winning the poll

The social media reactions to PS5 has been insanely more positive than Series X

Era really is a weird bubble

yup, the majority of Era is extremely out of touch (just like that other place always used to be). Soc media was on fire w/ peeps loving the design. lol

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were rumours awhile back that MS showing the Series X early caught Sony off-guard and I reckon it might be true so they threw a design together asap like the Boomerang controller and are forced to stick with it due to Corvid-19 disruptions.

There doesn't need to be a conspiracy to explain why you don't like the design.

Joo

May 25, 2018
You do know companies can buy likes, right?
Lol. The positive buzz around PS5 in social media definitely isn't because "Sony is buying likes". It's just way more popular than Xbox, that's it.

There's also algorithms in place to punish that kind of behaviour and buying likes is not as simple as you make it seem. The most obvious "buying engagement" -situation is when there are fake followers, but that usually can be rather easily seen because then the actual post engagement isn't comparable to your page followers.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I appreciate sony doing something different but it's a miss for me

personally I'm more of a minimalist so I really like way the series x looks

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what you're arguing. The person thinks one console looks boring, and the other has inherently more style. Thus their preference is plain as day. And you come in with the rebuttal, "lol, you don't look at a console when you play it anyways."

You prefer how the Series X looks (even if it's about function over form). They don't. The inane point of "you don't look at a console when you play it" could be attributed to literally any response to this discussion topic.

It really couldn't, because most replies here seem to have been about which console will fit their TV unit better and be better in regards to functionality and space. Good try though.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
I'm not a huge fan of either but I can live with Series X so long as I can find a place to fit it. I really don't like the PS5 design at all. I was worried they would try and make a statement and seems they have. It would be nice if they'd offer a couple of designs - a ostentatious plastic sandwich for people who want that and a more boring look for people who don't. I don't need to make a statement with a console thanks. I'm not even sure what the statement is. The digital one looks the best of the two. Hopefully we'll get a cheaper redesign in a couple of years when I plan to get one.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Xbox, I personally like the minimalistic approach more.

PS5 is not bad, but kinda looks like those fancy gamer PC cabinets, did not give me that " wow, this is a new and exciting thing" feeling that PS3 and PS4 had.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It makes it easier to say no to but it's less the design and more the design+size. But I'm still on the fence. Hoping the July and August events seal the deal one way or another.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
If this is close to accurate, I did some just rough math and came to the conclusion the PS5 is most likely larger than XSX in volume by roughly 10-20% (i think the depth is >= 10" but less than 12")

that is also excluding the dead space you'd have if it's in horizontal posture.

I have it at about 3.9" so approx 2/3 the height of XSX in horizontal

So you're thinking

PS5
16x10x4 ~
640 in³

Xbox
12x6x6,
432 in³

I was theorizing last week that I could see it coming in under XSX, boy was I wrong

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox looks minimalist and black
PS5 looks just bad and if that size is true, oh Boi

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
This may be a stretch, but the upright PS5's shape from the front is reminiscent of the Roman numeral V to me. I think I really like it. Reminds me of Victini from the gen 5 pokemon games lol

I personally think the PS5 looks best in the images that have it sideways though.

Last edited:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 is a fabulous cinched up drag queen ready for the runway, whereas the XBX looks like it wears Kirkland brand khakis and owns a Cabela's credit card. PS5 by several thousand miles

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I was okay with it at first but the more I stare at the PS5 the more goofy it looks. The more I look at the X, the more appealing I find it. Sony went overboard with that shit.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I like the chunky design of the X. PS5 isn't terrible or anything, but not crazy of needing a stand to be on it's side, and if it's actually that big boy it better have some great cooling.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I prefer boring looking consoles. My aurora r9 is justtt enough over the top for me to not be inoffensive.