• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best stable of IP

• Nintendo

Votes: 1,665 70.1%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 66 2.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 549 23.1%
  • Ouya

Votes: 94 4.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Not games, not developers, not console. None of that. If you could just get an entire console manufacturer based on their IPs - who would you want?

I feel like the answer is Nintendo personally.

EDIT: Y'all aint got no respect for Rare's IP

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as much as I love a lot of Nintendo franchises, I don't actually think the IP itself is super exciting outside of what they do with it? All three current console manufacturers are kind of boring when I think about it like that though.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sort of in a rock and a hard place here, as each of the big 3 seem to excel in some eras and falter in others.
So i'd have to make a decision based on what style of game I don't care about having as much (I know we're talking IPs here but this still factors for me). Thus I'd probably just stick with Playstation in this case. Even with some of the bigger shooters on Xbox, there isn't as much variety in IP there as I would like.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
It's just a personal choice of course, but Sony. Nintendos stuff is not my cup of tea, and I know very little, or had little experience with microsofts.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a nice stable but Nintendo has so many great series that it can't even seem to find time and money for all of them

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon and Mario are two of the top 5 grossing media franchises of all time...

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
You can do so much with mario, any genre, the IP is genre proof. You cannot say the same for Sony's flagship IP.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For me its Sony, I like games with good atmospheres/stories/settings... in short I like video games as immersive experiences, so Nintendo only really has Zelda and Fire Emblem in that department. The other IPs like Smash, Bayonetta, Mario etc. are more "gamey" for lack of a better term.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Nintendo, but it took me buying a WiiU and then a Switch (first Nintendo consoles for me) to realize I'm not that much of a fan of most Nintendo games.

So I voted for Sony. Uncharted is way more my thing than Pokemon/Smash, although I love 3D Zeldas and Marios.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Is this even a worthwhile question? Nintendo has been milking the same ip since 1983. No one comes close.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Overall for my tastes, Nintendo. Sony has some killer IP, Microsoft has.... Forza and Halo (which I both like). But Nintendo just has a metric assload of great IPs... Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, etc. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of all of those IPs, it's kinda insane the quantity of quality IPs Nintendo has.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony.

Nintendo has more iconic brands, but Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon, and God of War are just more interesting to me than anything Nintendo does, save Zelda.

Nintendo's IPs have better longevity because they very rarely try to tell a story with most of them, meaning the game world never gets stuck in a time warp.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's Nintendo. There's not even a question.

Even though I really didn't like BotW or Odyssey, it would be foolish not too see them as the strongest.

I guess if it's personal, Sony.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is more iconic than Mario and Zelda. I mean seriously? I don't care what Sony has. Microsoft is in last with Sony.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean are we talking about IP value? It's Nintendo. Then it's the distance from the earth to the sun in inches followed by Microsoft and then Sony.

I only put Microsoft ahead of Sony because of Halo and Minecraft. Sony doesn't have any gaming IP utilized to that level.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of laughing at the mental image of a rancher with like a horse with a Mario hat

"good ol Mario here has won many a price."

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo by a landslide for me. Metroid and Zelda are my favorite video game IPs period, and Fire Emblem and Xenoblade aren't far behind.

I can't say I'm an enormous fan of any of Sony's IPs. I like plenty of them, but I'm not really in love with any of them.

Microsoft doesn't even come close to either.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, with Sony coming in a fairly distant second. Sony IP don't really click with me. I play my PS4 the most and will be buying a PS5 but largely due to third parties like Square, From, etc.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Nintendo without a question. If you need proof just look at Smash and then look at.... Sony All Stars...

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Nintendo is the obvious choice.

Microsoft would be my runner up, I like a lot of the IPs they put out and the pile of unused stuff they're sitting on has a lot of really interesting stuff.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm not a fan of Nintendo but the answer is Nintendo. They're pretty much built on first party IPs.

Microsoft has alot to, but they don't use em.

I voted for Ouya

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Nintendo was an easy choice. But lol @ Ouya having more votes than Microsoft...

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If you put the IP on a tier list, they'd all have A tier's with Zelda, Halo and God of War, but then the S tier would be solely comprised of Mario and Pokemon. Nintendo is the clear winner.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nintendo.

Other than F-Zero and Earthbound, we havent seen as much output from older IPs from Sony like Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Syphon Filter, Jak, Sly, etc.

Microsoft's worst with Halo, Gears and Forza mainly being the constantly worked on IPs while rest of their other IPs the majority are sleepers like Rareware platformer IPs, Fable, etc.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's Sony for me. Nintendo's IPs are fun, but besides BotW being my favourite game of the generation, I keep buying Nintendo games on my Switch and then barely playing them (Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash). A lot of the problem is that these IPs were games my sisters and I would play together on the N64, GameCube, and Wii, and they're just not that fun for me playing them alone.

However, Sony being so single player focused with their games makes those IPs more to what I enjoy playing. Uncharted, Horizon, Until Dawn, Infamous, Spider-Man, Gran Turismo, etc.