• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
My vote goes to South Korea. I absolutely love so many films that come from there. Oldboy (the whole trilogy really), The Wailing, Memories of Murder, Train to Busan, I Saw the Devil etc etc...I could keep going. Also super excited for Joon-ho Bongs new movie this year Parasite. What's everyone else think?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely South Korea right now. After that, and it's probably a distant second, maybe Spain?

In the past, Italy, France and Japan were legit - but they've all fallen from grace since their high points.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Mexico, France, or Korea.

The Soviet Union was on some other fire too one upon a time.

EDIT: FUCK how did I forget Italy...

Last edited:

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Historically I'd say France, Italy and Japan.

French film is probably my favorite, but that's mostly due to the French New Wave.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I have a really strong bias towards animation so for me it's Japan, but yeah South Korea has a ton of baller films

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really curious, which Soviet Union films are good and worth watching and where can I find them?

Watch the films of Tarkovsky. Stalker is my personal favorite.

There is also a ton of great silent Soviet cinema. The era of Soviet Montage produced some really engaging and interesting stuff. Battleship Potemkin would be a good starting point.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My vote goes to South Korea. I absolutely love so many films that come from there. Oldboy (the whole trilogy really), The Wailing, Memories of Murder, Train to Busan, I Saw the Devil etc etc...I could keep going. Also super excited for Joon-ho Bongs new movie this year Parasite. What's everyone else think?

I concur no contest for popular genres I actually like (HK is awesome too) but hardcore film buffs are always going to go with Italy or France.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japan still releases some bangers and their animation is clearly top notch but South Korea is on a whole other level rn

Mexico is also killing it

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Soviet Union made some of my favorite films, including Stalker which was mentioned above. Andrei Tarkovsky in general is a masterful filmmaker.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
If you saw one Korean thriller, you've seen them all. But they make decent Oscar-baitish stuff (Taxi Driver, Advocate etc.) and, personally, I like their period dramas almost as much as British productions. I still give Japan and France an edge when it comes down to overall quality, especially festival cinema.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
France or South Korea. I'm getting bit bored of K-thrillers but they still produce some great movies. I'm expecting great things from Parasyte.

Japan has few interesting ditecors that I still follow but that's mainly for festival movies. Any big budget movie from Japan seems to be disaster.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
South Korea, it's hard to choose between Spain and Mexico for number 2. Memories of Murder is in my top 10 films. I would also add Hong Kong, Wong Kar-wai's films are amazing. Jia Zhangke made my favourite Asian film, A Touch of Sin.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
South Korea has been pretty great for years.

More recently I've been floored by the output from Mexico.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, South Korea

But Russia/Soviet Union produced some absolute classics like Stalker and Come & See

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soviet Union, Japan, Italy and France cinema catalogues are the most important (alongside US/UK). HK 70's-90's was an incredible gem. Sweden had Bergman. West Germany had Fassbinder, Herzog, Wenders and Lang.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's hard... I love Italy, France, Russia, Japan, Iran and my country (Brazil) cinema, we also have some great stuff.

I haven't watched many South Korea movies (only know Park Chan-wook tbh), any recommendations?

Oct 27, 2017
Iran deserves a mention. Asghar Farhadi made one of the best films of the decade in A Separation, along with certified bangers About Elly and The Past.

The great Abbas Kiarostami ended his career with a couple of international productions with a pair of A-grade films in Certified Copy and Like Someone in Love, but he made his mark early on in Iran with experimental films such as Close-Up (a masterpiece in quasi-docu narrative) and A Taste of Cherry.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iran deserves a mention. Asghar Farhadi made one of the best films of the decade in A Separation, along with certified bangers About Elly and The Past.

The great Abbas Kiarostami ended his career with a couple of international productions with a pair of A-grade films in Certified Copy and Like Someone in Love, but he made his mark early on in Iran with experimental films such as Close-Up (a masterpiece in quasi-docu narrative) and A Taste of Cherry.

Yeah, both Iran and Israel are amazing for film and underrated

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
South Korea, at least as far as the past decade or two goes.

That's hard... I love Italy, France, Russia, Japan, Iran and my country (Brazil) cinema, we also have some great stuff.

I haven't watched many South Korea movies (only know Park Chan-wook tbh), any recommendations?

Wich South Korean movies do you guys suggest. I can only think of 2

Can't go wrong with:

Oldboy
The Man From Nowhere
A Moment to Remember
Train to Busan
Seoul Station
My Sassy Girl
A Tale of Two Sisters
I Saw the Devil
Memories of Murder
The Host
The Admiral: Roaring Currents
Mr. Go
The Wailing
The Handmaiden
Sympathy of Mr. Vengeance
Lady Vengeance
International Market

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
South Korea, at least as far as the past decade or two goes.

Can't go wrong with:

Oldboy
The Man From Nowhere
A Moment to Remember
Train to Busan
Seoul Station
My Sassy Girl
A Tale of Two Sisters
I Saw the Devil
Memories of Murder
The Host
The Admiral: Roaring Currents