• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Movie has the better songs?

• Frozen

Votes: 107 22.9%
  • Moana

Votes: 361 77.1%

• Total voters

Gorgamel

Oct 25, 2017
Moana. Frozen is a piece of shit movie, and Let it Go is awful.

Also this song was the best:

www.youtube.com

Jemaine Clement - Shiny (from Moana) (Official Video)

"Shiny" from Disney's MoanaPerformed by: Jemaine ClementDownload/stream the Moana soundtrack here: http://disneymusic.co/MVOSndtrkWS?iqid=dmvevo.moanaStream ...
Couldn't agree more. Love Shiny. It's still on my regular cycling playlist.

For some reason that song reminds me a lot of Redbone by Childish Gambino.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Shiny" in Moana alone gives it the win. Might be the best Disney villain song ever.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Shiny alone makes the Moana soundtrack better. My daughter came in at the tail end of Frozen and Moana was the first Disney movie I took her to so I might be biased but the soundtrack is so much better.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that Bowie. He is one of the greatest musicians ever to live! If you ever check his music out (which I of course recommend to) you'll see the "tribute" thing we are talking about. Maybe you'll like the song a bit more :P
I'm getting the impression that people mostly like "Shiny" because of Bowie. Would people like it as much if there wasn't any association with a famous personality and it had to stand on it's own within the context of the movie?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Friends on the otherside is the best Disney villain song

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I remember enjoying Moana but I couldn't tell you a single song from it. Frozen I watched about a month ago so I'll have to give it to Frozen

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Moana has probably my favorite Disney song in How Far I'll Go, so it wins by default.
Great songs on Frozen too btw.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Moana was the first kid movie that my daughter was into enough to mostly watch all the way through, and half the songs in it still make me tear up. It's one of my favorite movies.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I'm getting the impression that people mostly like "Shiny" because of Bowie. Would people like it as much if there wasn't any association with a famous personality and it had to stand on it's own within the context of the movie?

No, that's just a bonus. The song stands on its own. It's out there for sure, but it works within the context and confines of the film. A narcissistic crab living in the realm of the monsters is gonna sing something weird.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen has some good stuff but just can't compete with Moana.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna give it to Moana. I freakin' love We Know the Way.

And as others have said, How Far I'll Go is great as well.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Moana. Incredible OST.

Nothing in frozen is as impactful as "You know who you are".

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never understood the hype for frozen and "let it go" specifically. Personally "do you want to build a snowman?", "Summer", and the intro song are all superior to it.

Moana and CoCo are both vastly superior to Frozen IMO and Moana has the GOAT soundtrack.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's just a bonus. The song stands on its own. It's out there for sure, but it works within the context and confines of the film. A narcissistic crab living in the realm of the monsters is gonna sing something weird.
I know there's really no main villain in Moana given the nature of the story so this may seem like an unfair comparison, but would you say that "Shiny" is up there with "Kill the Beast" or "Be Prepared"?

Last edited:

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moana's songs are all so self-affirming, Frozen got some of the way there but Moana goes Whole Hog and I love it, it's so powerful. My three year old daughter is always singing them and I love that Disney flicks have gotten to this point in time for her to grow up with them. None of these stories about princesses pining for princes, just an amazing role model trying to find her place and her self that I'd love if she tried to emulate.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than Moana's worst song, anyway (Shiny's real bad).

My cousin works at Disney and she told me once that they were right on the edge of cutting the entire sequence because focus groups hated it across the board. As in, almost all feedback for the movie was some form of "I loved the movie, but what was up with that crab?"

I love it though, so hearing this actually shocked me. Best part of the movie aside from the climax IMO. It is a huge tonal shift though so I do kind of get it.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I know there's really no main villain in Moana given the nature of the story so this may seem like an unfair comparison, but would you say that "Shiny" is up there with "Kill the Beast" or "Be Prepared"?

For me personally, absolutely yes. It was a huge gamble and a win for me. And it did take me two viewings to see it. The first time I saw the movie I probably had the biggest "WTF was that?" expression on my face. I can totally understand how it's divisive.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Think I agree with you, OP, at least in that Moana's music is more consistent (hated "Shiny"). Plus, "You're Welcome" is incredibly catchy. Other than "Let it Go" and "Do you Want to Build a Snowman", I can't remember any of Frozen's songs.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a non-disney watching layman and I've never heard a single song from Moana and I know half the lyrics to Let It Go and the snowman song.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Both soundtracks are full of absolute bangers. I think I enjoyed the vocal performances on Moana more, though. Auli'i Cravalho is just amazing and Christopher Jackson has such a distinguished voice.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Lol.

They're both Disney movies it's all cheesy kid shit.

Frozen is the like the Eminem of Disney flicks for Era members.

To a certain degree they are all cheesy kid shit, but with Moana, i feel some of the songs hit on a deeper level (How Far I'll Go, Where you Are, We know the Way) or are incredibly creative and catchy (Shiny, You're Welcome). You can feel Lin-Manuels elevated touch. Frozen songs feel like they were composed in a focus group.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Frozen had stellar marketing that continues to trick people into thinking it's not one modern disney's bottom tier films.

Moana is genuinely one of their best efforts to date.

It's no contest.

That said, frozen 2 looks fucking stellar.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen. Moana has a few good tracks, especially How Far I'll Go, but the crab song ruins it.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Moana has more songs I like

So that
Frozen's do you want to build a snowman was great, heartwarming but let it go .... really overstayed it's welcome for me

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Shiny is a fun song...

...that feels weirdly out of place in Moana and kind of detracts from the whole thing.

In any case, this is too tough to call for me. But Frozen's songs do feel a little more memorable than Moana's, outside of How Far I'll Go