• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Movie has the better songs?

• Frozen

Votes: 107 22.9%
  • Moana

Votes: 361 77.1%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have been thinking about this for a while - now don't get me wrong i love both Frozen and Moana but i do think Moana's songs are extremely good and better then Frozens but Let it Go is still really good. So i would say Frozen has higher highs but Moana has a more consistant level of quality when it comes to Vocal Songs. But i am curious to know what you guys/gals think on which movie has the better vocal songs.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Moana has You're Welcome, the catchiest Disney song in a long time.

Having said that, Frozen has some great tracks too. I think these two are the top ones from the modern Disney era in terms of music.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm going with Frozen

Let It Go is an s+ tier song

All the other songs in both films are just okay at best

So by elimination I'm going with Frozen

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Moana by far. Frozen has let it go and do you wanna build a snowman and both are good but Moana just has more songs that are good.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The average in Moana's much higher than in Frozen- it doesn't have a Let It Go-style megahit, but it's maybe got the highest overall standard in a Disney movie since Hunchback.

(Note- I think We Know The Way is the best song in a Disney movie this millennium, but it's clearly not as all-conquering as Let It Go).

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The average in Moana's much higher than in Frozen- it doesn't have a Let It Go-style megahit, but it's maybe got the highest overall standard in a Disney movie since Hunchback.

(Note- I think We Know The Way is the best song in a Disney movie this millennium, but it's clearly not as all-conquering as Let It Go).
The Gargoyles Song kinda holds Hunchback back

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Both movies have great songs, but between those Moana might have the best overall. But Let It Go from Frozen is the best song between those movies.

But if I have to pick a Disney movie with the best songs ever, that would go to The Lion King and no other movie even comes close.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tangled. ;)
Such an underrated gem compared to Frozen and Moana.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Moana has one of my favorite Disney OSTs ever.
I was listening to it for like 1.5~2 months after watching the movie, never happened to me before.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Moana - imho - has the higher highs. (How far i'll go, We Know the Way; ... i really don't care much for "Shiny".)

Frozen, meanwhile, has a greater amount of quality, overall (Let it go, Love is an open door, Do you wanna build a snowman, For the first time in forever; even 'Fixer Upper' is great). And imho the better OST overall. Like, "Reindeers are better than People" is an absolute gem.

Oct 25, 2017
Let it Go is the best song out of both of the soundtracks, but everything else from Frozen is kind of forgettable. Moana's is way more consistent

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Moana, by far, Moana has one of the better vocal soundtracks out of the entire Disney canon.

Frozen has Let It Go and Do You Want To Build the Snowman is great, but Moana has Where You Are, How Far I'll Go, We Know The Way, You're Welcome, Shiny... the entire soundtrack is top notch. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Moana is wayyyy better. I'd put half of its songs above Let It Go, and Frozen doesn't have much apart from that.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think both Moana and Tangled beat Frozen in terms of consistency and even animation quality.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Frozen has 3 very good Disney songs, PLUS "Reindeers are better than people", which is a lot. But Moana's soundtrack is much better as a whole work. It tells the story so well, with themes and leitmotives shared during the whole soundtrack in a beautiful way. It's just so well thought out and written, I would just listen to the songs in the soundtrack to relive the movie and it worked so well. Lin Manuel Miranda did a great job.

This is an amazing song:

And then when this scene comes up with a reprise from the Grandma, and it blends with the reprise of How Far I'll Go, coupled with the images and the story, it's such a powerful moment.

Sorry i left it out:

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How Far I'll Go is a better "anthem" type song than Let It Go, I think. I would say "I want" song but Let It Go isn't really an "I want" song...

And We Know The Way is one of the best Disney songs ever by a wide margin. Those two alone put it over the top.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
'how far I go' is basically them trying to recreate 'let it go'

I kind of agree but I far prefer How Far I'll Go to Let It Go. I don't know if it's due to overexposure of Let It Go, or my general dislike of just how big Frozen had gotten against superior animations from the past decade, but I regularly listen to How Far I'll Go and just love the song, while Let It Go is great but I never feel like I really want to revisit it, or Frozen in general.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Moana for me. Probably in the top 3 songs in a Disney movie.

I think Frozen is kinda inconsistent with it's songs, but the movie is great overall.

OG Lion King is still number one though.

Oct 27, 2017
Frozen has one really good song, one pretty good and a bunch of filler. Moana has 4 good-to-great songs, so that wins handily.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Moana but I am fond of Let it Go because of that one YouTube video that replaces "Bet on it" with let it go and the song syncs up perfectly with Zac Effron being a drama queen it's fucking rad

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen is my favorite movie of all time and Let it Go is my favorite song of all time. Moana is still great though and I love every song in it except Shiny which I usually skip on rewatches.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
both have good music, but this:

Tangled is definitely the better movie of the three, but I'd say it's also the one with the worst songs (they are not bad at all though, except for the solo Rapunzel songs). Ironically, I think the non-vocal soundtrack is beautiful and the best of the three. I always thought it deserved an Oscar nom.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 kids aged 9 and 5. I have listened to both soundtracks well into the hundreds of times. If I was forced to listen to 1 another time, I'd probably say Frozen. Moana is good, but really it only has 3 great songs. Frozen has first time in forever, let it go, summer, a bit of a picker upper and love is an open door.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Frozen is a good movie, with one A+ tier song, one quite good one (For the first time in forever) but Moana is a very good movie with a complete A+ OST all around. I remember every song from Moana, every one is catchy, epic, inventive and well visualized. Greatest pair up of animated movie and OST in a long time.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Probably Frozen.

I think a lot of people forget the incredible OST because Let it Go was a mega hit. Honestly, I like Let it Go, but it's not really why I like Frozen so much. I think I just prefer the classic Disney musical stylings that Frozen has. Do You Wanna Build a Snowman is beautiful and poignant; it tells the story and builds the characters through a perfect montage.

Moana is great too, but I don't think any songs hit the emotional levels like Frozen does.

And lets be real, Shiny, and that whole sequence is probably one of the worst in Disney's catalog. The song is awful and doesn't flow well at all. The plot grinds to a halt and it really just doesn't make any sense. It's filler just for the sake of conflict. Why is that crab the only sentient animal that can talk in the world of Moana? Why is it so powerful, just because he's big? The world they created fits so well with Polynesian mythology while staying grounded to history, but that sequence just comes out of left field so Disney can have a funny character sing a funny song.

Oct 26, 2017
Can we have a "both are amazing" option?

I think it would come down to which one has the most songs that annoy me, and Moana has nothing like Summer.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both are pretty good. But if i need to chose one over the other it will be Vaiana/Moana. Liked the songs in that one so much better.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
"Shiny" is the worst Disney song I have ever seen in a Disney movie.

I take it you're not a Bowie fan, then?

Lots of great opinions in this thread. I actually watched both Frozen and Moana today (and most days, since I have a 4 year old and the Disney Deluxe app). I agree that Moana is far more consistent overall, but maybe doesn't reach the highs of Frozen. Moana is probably my favorite Disney animated movie though. Probably seen it 80 times now and I'm still not tired of it.

And as a huge Star Wars fan, Moana comes off as a more well-crafted telling of TFA+TLJ. I know it's a somewhat typical hero's journey story, but there are tons of parallels.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How Far I'll Go should go down in Disney history as one of the greatest songs. Its so great.

Also, a big shout out for We Know the Way using a language that only about 5000 people on the planet speak.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen because I haven't seen Moana. Iirc it has Dwayne Johnson in it and well, I've seen enough of that guy in films for a life time at this point so skipped it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, don't make me choose. I'd say Moana because it has more uniqueness in the songs, but I love them both.