• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gave away my older original DS and lite to my family members, but now i'm having that itch to play some DS games again to revisit those gems. I don't want to play DS games on the 3DS, the screen is just not that good especially since i have a TN panel and it makes DS games look horrible, even with the original DS resolution.

I'm seeing conflicting info about which DS has the best screen and i would like some info from those who know what's up. I heard that the DSi XL has the best screen but it also has a screen lottery, so it's never a safe bet as to what you are going to get.

Any advice? Is the DS lite good enough or close to the DSi XL assuming that one is the best? I can't even recall perfectly what DS games looked on on the original and Lite models as i haven't seen them in action for a long time.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
DS Lite - 3" display at 106.67 PPI
DSi - 3.25" display at 98.46 PPI
DSi XL - 4.2" display at 76.19 PPI

XL looks terrible imo, mileage may vary and all that though...

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Wouldnt the smaller size of the regular DSi screen look better due to higher ppi though?I know that I compared both in the day and the XL looked way more pixelated in comparison.
Not if you value color accuracy and viewing angle over pixel density (You might not expect viewing angle to matter with something like this, but with a crappy TN even slightly off angle viewing can be noticeably worse and you won't be looking at both screens straight-on)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Wouldnt the smaller size of the regular DSi screen look better due to higher ppi though?I know that I compared both in the day and the XL looked way more pixelated in comparison.

Assuming the IPS claims are true then you're trading off black levels and color accuracy for a slightly higher PPI.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Not if you value color accuracy and viewing angle over pixel density (You might not expect viewing angle to matter with something like this, but with a crappy TN even slightly off angle viewing can be noticeably worse and you won't be looking at both screens straight-on)
Assuming the IPS claims are true then you're trading off black levels and color accuracy for a slightly higher PPI.

Considering they are handheld devices with very small screens, I do value the higher pixel density over the other benefits. I did compare them side by side back in the day, and the XL was more rough, IQ wise.

maneauleau

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
if you are fan of big chunky pixels then DSi XL for the win otherwise regular DSi. Very happy with the DSi XL but I still have a lite for convenience when I don't want to bring my GBA and my DSi XL. Got to get them all!