• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was your favorite province?

• Iliac Bay (High Rock/Hammerfell)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Vvardenfell (Morrowind)

Votes: 143 42.1%
  • Cyrodiil

Votes: 92 27.1%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 102 30.0%

• Total voters

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Skyrim. The game has aged quite a bit the immersion of the world is still top-notch.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
A close tie between Cyrodiil and Skyrim, but I actually liked the sunny and warm countryside of Cyrodiil more. Felt like Lord of the Rings or something. I didn't like Morrowind that much; too alien, weird and gloomy.

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
Ooph. It's a hard choice between Skyrim and Vvardenfell for me. The former is majestic and nostalgic and reminds me of growing up out in Idaho, but with Pleisteocene fauna (and everyone who says it has no diversity is wrong, I've COUNTED the biomes and there's just as many in Morrowind), and the latter is a unique magical place with just enough of a Myst/Riven flare to make me feel right at home. Both also have a ton of lore and subcultures and factions and history running about. They both feel like real worlds.

Cyrodiil however, with its eight different kinds of Midwestern backyards can sit back down.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Morrowind is easily my favourite fantasy setting of all time. It is unique in its portrayal of politics (basically an theocratic-aristocratic republic), culture, and of course the alien biomes. No other RPG has come close to convey the same feeling Morrowind has. Thus the longing for a return to the land of the Dunmer, especially in the context of all the internal changes after Oblivion, shall remain unfulfilled...

Oblivion had this nice thing going on with each city having its distinct architectural feature but the biomes weren't that interesting in the end. Skyrim on the other was very diverse but all minor hold capitals lacked their own identity. And I could swear that 'cities' in general were smaller than compared to Oblivion.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
You do not remember either game very well then.
I should hope I remember them well, I'm playing through both Oblivion and Skyrim again on PC currently, and I feel the exact same about them now as I did back when they came out. Oblivion's world is diverse and fun to explore, Skyrim is a brownfest where exploring only leads to Draugr filled caves. Whiterun has to be the least visually appealing town in any Elder Scrolls game, and it's the big main one for Skyrim.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should hope I remember them well, I'm playing through both Oblivion and Skyrim again on PC currently, and I feel the exact same about them now as I did back when they came out. Oblivion's world is diverse and fun to explore, Skyrim is a brownfest where exploring only leads to Draugr filled caves. Whiterun has to be the least visually appealing town in any Elder Scrolls game, and it's the big main one for Skyrim.

Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't. ;)

Fun fact: Nazeem and his wife don't even own their own house in Whiterun.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't. ;)

Calling it "the cloud district" always bugged me since it's making the area out to be way larger than it actually is. In reality the cloud district is just like 2 fairly small buildings, Jorrvaskr and Dragonsreach, barely even a district at all.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe I'd visit it more if only I could find Wintersand Manor, must be a pretty important place for multiple people to have keys to it!

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I enjoyed Oblivions Cyrodil setting the most, each town actually had a unique flavor, and it was plain fun to explore a 'familiar' LOTR type setting but with Elder Scroll monsters and mixed with dungeons straight into hell.

Skyrims I actually enjoyed the main setting the least altho I think it's the best overall ES game so far, and I spent the most time with it. But I didn't enjoy the frozen wasteland type setting, I wanted more variety.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing comes close to the atmosphere of Vvardenfell yet. It felt like exploring a dreamworld, like Neverland. It also helps that it was Soule's best score, even if it was inferior to the others technically speaking.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Balmora in Morrowind genuinely feels like home. I love that little town.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My vote went to Skyrim, even though I love Cyrodiil as well. Morrowind was always a bit too weird for me to enjoy as much as the others, although I see why people like it.

I love the snow. The sound of a cold wind blowing. Pine trees and frost. Grey clouds and frozen lakes. I also love Norse things, and dragons. So of course I love Skyrim. I had been wanting to go there ever since I learned of it. Bruma in Oblivion was my favorite town simply because it was close to Skyrim.

However, I also adore High Rock, especially how it's depicted in ESO. Rainy skies and rolling plains and knights and castles. It's high fantasy at its highest. I really hope ESVI brings us there over Hammerfell.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Cyrodiil was very pleasant and it seemed like it covered most environments. Vvardenfell was unique and I can't wait to play Skywind.

Skyrim was my least favorite by far. Fuck the snowy ass cold grey shit.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's quite easy to recognise those who never played Morrowind : they vote for Skyrim or even worse, Oblivion.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Cyrodiil was wasted on a weak console at launch. Imagine on PS5 it would look unreal. I would put that province up there as one of the best, it has a range of landscapes and lots of potential (Oblivion gates aside).

Summerset Isles would be epic too but I haven't seen much from it to say for sure.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
Cyrodiil for its diversity and normality. It can feel like a normal medieval setting game then a minotaur comes barreling at you from the brush.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
Morrowind is so damn good! The world was the most unique and fleshed out. Also, I love how a bunch of the dungeons were designed with verticality in mind; exploring with levitation was a blast (not to mention flying into/above some of those awesome alienesque cities!)

If they could re-release the game, give it a fresh coat of paint and modernise the combat, i'd immediately jump back in for sure - there are just no games like it anymore.

Last edited:

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Morrowind is so damn good! The world was the most unique and fleshed out. Also, I love how a bunch of the dungeons were designed with versatility in mind; exploring with levitation was a blast (not to mention flying into/above some of those awesome alienesque cities!)

If they could re-release the game, give it a fresh coat of paint and modernise the combat, i'd immediately jump back in for sure - there are just no games like it anymore.

Morrowind refreshed in a modern engine would elevate it to top 3 RPGs all time. That old engine and combat just kills it for me (that and the lack of voice acting).

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Morrowind, hands down. It just had so MANY interesting concepts, from the Stilt Striders to the giant crab skeletons that were used as buildings. Oblivion and Skyrim were both great, but the felt too similar to "standard" fantasy for me. Morrowind was bizarre, but all of the weirdness made sense from the in-universe logic. It's just such a memorable world, it still feels strange and exciting almost 20 years later.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Morrowind not only has the best setting in the series, it has one of the best settings in all of gaming history. How it's not beating the other two by much more actually got me shaking my head a bit. Oblivion's and Skyrim's settings were fairly generic.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Skyrim. I know it seems a bit passe now, but at the time Nordic fantasy type settings were a bit under-utilized compared to the more traditional medieval fantasy settings. Morrowind would be a close second, with Cyrodiil-as-Oblivion definitely coming in a distant last.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Cyrodiil because of the colorful vegetation and imperial city and it's sewer system.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Vvardenfell > Skyrim > Cyrodiil.

For ESO : Clockwork City, Coldharbour and Rivenspire are the highlight.