• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more in its lifetime?

• Super Smash Bros: Ultimate

Votes: 1,236 47.6%
  • The Last of Us: Part 2

Votes: 504 19.4%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 103 4.0%
  • Something else will overtake all of these

Votes: 106 4.1%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 647 24.9%

• Total voters
Aug 26, 2018
2018, 2019 and 2020 will probably end up with MS and PS having their biggest selling exclusive ever and SSB still selling like crazy.

2018 saw SSB: Ultimate becoming the Fastest Selling Nintendo game ever. The game will also have long legs with updates, new characters, more bundles etc. We could be talking 25 Million Lifetime but it has very little chance of beating Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow , Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

2019 will probably see the release of arguably Play Station's biggest exclusive, The Last of Us : Part 2, the first one sold a whopping 17 Million copies and the 2nd one has ticked all the right boxes already with PS4 selling bonkers, a cross-gen title, Naughty Dog, Sony's marketing push.

2020 will see the launch of Halo Infinite, launching 5 years after their last mainstream Halo game, the anticipation will be at an all time high considering it will be launching day and date on Xbox GP, have a simultaneous PC launch, xCloud, a launch title for Scarlett and Xbox looking to make a mark on next gen with Halo. I personally believe it will beat Halo 3's record and end up being the best selling Xbox exclusive of all time.

Note: This is not a console war thread, please keep it civil and I have excluded exclusives which were almost entirely sold as a pack-in game with the console for almost their entirety like Wii Sports, Kinect Sports etc.

Last edited:

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
GTA 6

Edit: since GTA is not exclusive I will say The last of us part 2

first game sold around 17 million units so the sequel has a high chance of reaching the 20 million mark imo

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 being compared to those (Pokemon and Smash) is a joke, right? It has absolutely no chance of being the best selling in that group.

It'll probably be Pokemon

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon

Ultimate and TLoU2 are probably interchangeable at 2nd, and Halo is a distant 3rd

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with Last of Us 2, my best guess is it will still release on PS4 but will also be a cross gen title on PS5 (either way they choose to go, if it's a "remaster" or just with bc compatibility). I think the game will sell for a very long time.

Just like Pokemon and SSBU will.

I don't think Halo will do any comparable numbers.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Not sure I'd be so confident about Pokémon selling the most. Smash bros will have soon outsold every Pokémon game since gold/silver which was 20 years ago and even that will be passed IMO.

I think there is a good chance that Pokémon sees significant growth as well but that isn't guaranteed as we saw with the DS generation.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash. Over 20 million
TLOU2. 10-15 million.
Halo. 5-10 million.

TLOU2 being compared to those is a joke, right? It has absolutely no chance of being the best selling in that group.

It'll probably be Pokemon

TLOU1 handily outsould every 343i halo game so I dont see why 2 cant continue that trend.

People are just tired of Halo. Even if Infinite is a great game I feel the Halo IP is just tired and most people dont care anymore. Its a near 20 old IP. Declines happens.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate. And it will do so despite TLoU2 and Halo Infinite releasing on two platforms each. I also believe it will sell more than Pokémon 2019 when the dust settles, though Pokémon will sell more initially.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Tbh I think the people sleeping in the last of us 2 are sounding just like the people whole though rd2 wouldn't blow the sales of rd1 out of the water.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pokemon is always the best seller

Are we counting Spiderman? we don't have recent numbers but in November was in 9 millions

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has Xbox GP, PC, launch bundle with Scarlett..you think it won't sell atleast 15-20 Million copies?

I think the major problem is: will we ever know the actual figure Halo Infinie sells?

Xbox doesn't really do sales figures these days, just player engagement. And while they could say 10 million unique users played Halo Infinite, how many of those are people with Game Pass? As far as I know counting players on Game Pass is a grey area at the moment as to whether it counts as a sale or just 'engagement'

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It has Xbox GP, PC, launch bundle with Scarlett..you think it won't sell atleast 15-20 Million copies?

I can see 15 million at the absolute highest end. Halo just isn't as popular as it used to be, and unless Infinite is a true return to form, I don't see that changing.

Pokemon I can see going above 20 million, Ultimate and TLoU2 are probably around 20 ish. Halo just isn't going to reach them.

Edit: Changed some predicted numbers

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Hard to say as TLoU2 and Halo are released at the end of a cycle. Smash and Pokemon at the start of one so there is more potential. But as sony and Microsoft have more discounts on their games they can sell tremendously. Also Halo is also available on PC, but also Game Pass access which don't count as sales. I am voting for Pokemon but any of the 4 can be the winner.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I only see it possible that TLOU 2 wins if it releases this year on PS4 and then receives a remaster in 2020 for PS5, like 1.

If not, Smash Bros Ultimate> TLOU 2> Halo Infinity.

Pokémon we do not have information yet.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
I can see 15 million at the absolute highest end. Halo just isn't as popular as it used to be, and unless Infinite is a true return to form, I don't see that changing.

Pokemon is 25+, Ultimate and TLoU2 are probably around 20+. Halo just isn't going to reach them.

Only thing is if Halo Infinite's MP has legs which in all likelihood it will considering how good Halo 5's MP already is, it will keep selling like crazy unlike others in the list which are top heavy( 1st 2 weeks selling close to 30-40% of lifetime)

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking that any of those games will sell more than Pokemon which always launches with 2 versions. 🙄

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Smash, Pokémon 8 will be the best selling entry in the series but it will be cut short when the next one comes along, smash will sell like a new game for the next 5 years.

Oct 27, 2017
The first one sold 17 Million copies, 2nd one unless its really bad which I doubt will end up selling more than 20 Million.

The first sold that many across 2 platforms, so it might sell comparably if it gets a PS5 port.

Meanwhile Smash is breaking series records and has sold 12+ million in less than 2 months and is still selling, Pokemon will probably do exceptionally well (probably not R/B 30 million well though) and the series' generation entries regularly sell 15+ million.

You could be right about it outselling Halo, if only because I don't know if the series is as popular as it use to be (although Infinite could be its BOTW)

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Units sold is an outdated measure. Halo Infinite could be available at launch on Game Pass and player engagement will be more important.