• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disclaimer: I want to make it clear that the purpose of this thread isn't to lump every single person who is part of a specific fandom into one generalization. I'm a big Anime fan, and I always get annoyed when people like to lump me as part of the more...unsavory types who also like Anime. When a certain chunk of the fanbase acts like jackasses, it makes all of us look bad.

So think of this more like identifying the worst people that give these fandoms a bad name.

So yeah, in light of recent events, I'm going to say Star Wars:

83106109-d672-4847-a20su1.jpeg

If there are any legitimate complaints about the most recent movies, they are drowned out by the irrational, sexist, racist, and all around idiotic comments that people are throwing en masse. To think that there's a sub-group so fueled by their hatred that they knowingly admitted to review bombing TLJ's score on opening day, just because. There's a good Dark Side metaphor in there somewhere, but if I were to post it I would probably get a bunch of snarky rebuttals about how my intepretation of the Force was incorrect and that canonically blah blah blah fuck off.

I always thought Final Fantasy fans were somewhere at the top, since a big chunk of them consistently get into "list wars", because apparently you're only allowed to love one game above all others, which are absolute trash by comparison. But at least I haven't seem them try to make an actual motherfucking petition to remove one of the games from canon.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the worst besides New England Patriots fans, right?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is racist now. When I catch my daughter watching youtube I have to google the creator to make sure they're not a nazi.

But in answer to your question, it's literally Penn State fans. Even Alabama is morally ahead of them.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I don't necessarily disagree with your choice, OP, Carl Benjamin (I will not defile the name of the historic ruler he has chosen to use as handle) is an asshole, and a bad example of just about anything.

That said, I would argue any fan of rightwing politics, and in particular the aspects of oppression of minorities and women as well as hypercapitalism.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America is so fucked up right now. I don't think it matters greatly which fanbase we're talking about, there are bound to be sexistic and homophobic idiots everywhere, empowered by Trump.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna need some examples of what makes the fandoms you list terrible. I've heard a few horror stories about hardcore sports fans, but getting some actual examples would be cathartic.

Dragon Ball Super fans

Eh, in the end of the day they're bitching about power levels, so it's not too different from DBZ talks.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Pretty much that, closely tied with the fanatical Zack Snyder cultists who sent death threats when it was revealed that Justice League was only two hours long.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much anything with a big fanbase.

Anything that attracts a lot of people is going to have tons of terrible people that make a vocal minority that make the whole base seem awful.

The internet was a mistake in terms of giving every anti-social loser a voice and a community.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy. Some fans of the series are very good at making you and your favourite entry feel like complete shit next to their 'superior' favourites.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think Philly Eagle fans were the worst to their players, but since they're doing really good this year its hard to gauge them lol.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Any fandom that acts contrary to what the media they love teaches. Making death threats, harrasment from fans of, say, noble super hero characters. It shows that they do not pay attention to the media they consume.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans
Sonic fans
Rick and Morty fans
"Us gamers"
DCEU fans
Star Wars EU fans
fans of any Boston sports teams

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All fanbases suck

Saying Trump is almost cheating so I'll echo the OP and say Star Wars

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard people say "_____ is good but the fans are unbearable" with just about every popular thing.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
But in answer to your question, it's literally Penn State fans.
Yup, thread over.

Though I wonder how many other fanbases would, if faced with the same conundrum, would choose to support child sex abuse. I don't hear much of anything out of Michigan State now that the world knows their athletic department was sheltering a child molester.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy. Some fans of the series are very good at making you and your favourite entry feel like complete shit next to their 'superior' favourites.

We all know Aerith is the only possible romantic choice for Cloud.

It's true, check out my Google Translated quote from one of the game's producers in this 15 year old Japanese magazine. It's absolutely canon and I won't hear anymore sacriledge about your pairing with that skirt-wearing slut. But it doesn't really matter because FFIX is the best game in the series and you're a sub-human for liking VII.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is the real answer, if you include everything.

For media I would say Star Wars and Ghostbusters, based on the out of control toxicity demonstrated lately.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They're all bad.

I'd say political stuff, if thats a fanbase, is the worst

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Claims of a media fanbase being awful seems incredibly silly to me. I like Dark Souls, Dragonball and the NFL, guess I'm a piece of shit? It's a pointless and damaging thing to say.

Obviously any fanbase that gets big enough is going to have some assholes. And the Star Wars fanbase is almost as big as it gets, not to mention it's very old meaning you get the crusty old racists along with the new kids just tuning in.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think every fanbase can have their fair share of crazies. Don't think I can single out one over another one.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell me you feel offended?
Of course not, but everything doesn't have to be political, especially in a thread about fanbases. He's talking about Star Wars, people talking about teams and you go on to "oh America sucks, trump trump" like I mean, what does that have to do with the topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.